100 Day No Buy Challenge Slumber Party (General Chat)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taking this one step further to eliminate as much waste as possible, we take a look at what is already in our pantry, fridge, and freezer before planning meals for the next week. We look to see what recipes we can make that will use the most ingredients that we already have on hand, then figure out the rest of the stuff that we need to complete the recipe. That is what goes on our list to buy. This has saved us huge amounts of both money and time at the grocery store. We have only thrown out a half of a head of cauliflower since starting this.
Very good point!

Also, you guys should check out this list of food items you can freeze to save time and keep from wasting: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.onegoodthingbyjillee.com%2F2012%2F10%2F31-things-you-can-freeze-to-save-time-and-money.html&ei=_bTLVIOFJde3yATP94CIBA&usg=AFQjCNHj51CpBYfYVXdISEdm8wqKHe1JOA&sig2=AADmFdidfB9OB9rSykkDOA Sorry about the google link, but I couldn't open it at work, so I had to copy the link. I like that blog- I used her recipe for my DIY makeup remover.

Since January 1, 2015  I started "day one" of my no-buy experience with a warm bath, a lovely sheet mask, a bit of a cold, and thankfully no hangover since I was the designated driver the night before.  The sheet mask was something I had and for some strange reason, I was afraid to use it.  It seemed like one of those things we hold onto for someday special.  Using the sheet mask was me stepping outside my comfort zone.  The sheet mask smelled refreshing, it made my skin feel smooth, and at some point I look forward to purchasing this product though that probably won't be until later this year and that's totally ok.  I am in absolutely no rush to buy beauty products even if I am in love with a particular product.

Rather than shopping, spending money, and accumulating more things - I have been focusing my time and energy on using the products I have accumulated.  I don't feel the least bit deprived and this has been a positive experience.  There has been the odd product which has been disappointing like the face moisturizer sample from Sephora that smelled like dill pickles.  I also discovered that liquid lipsticks vary by brand - they most definitely are not created equally.  Trying new products and discovering things I would like to buy in the foreseeable future but not immediately is more exciting and more satisfying than shopping.  I feel more in control of myself and I feel like I am getting a clearer picture of my own likes and dislikes.  

When I buy beauty products in the after this 100 day challenge is over, I know will be able to make more informed decisions.  
Everything you said I agree with 100% wholeheartedly!!!

And hahaha at dill pickle moisturizer. Yuck!!!

I have to say- if you aren't keeping up with the 100 products in 100 days, you should check it out. I didn't think there was any way I'd be able to do it, but here I am on Day 30 with 55 products used up!!!!!!!

I walked into Nordstrom Rack yesterday and there were so many tempting things. There were $3(!!!!!) UD polishes, and I was all grabby hands and a little sad because I'd paid $5 for two of them (wow, a whole ~$4 I could've saved. Though in fairness, one of the ones I got was sold out). I probably wouldn't use the two colors I didn't pick up much anyway, not that I am using the ones I did get a lot (vice, zodiac I got, and bang and the orange one I didn't)

I looked at my credit card bills this month and it's kind of shocking how small they will be combined. I guess those $10, $20 purchases do add up though they never seem to be much, most of the time. I actually ate out quite a bit and even bought some clothes this month...huh.

I didn't make much of a dent into trying my makeup though. So busy/tired this month :C sigh

@ love your profile picture. My dog has the same glasses! Poor guy, he has to put up with my daughter. I bought those same UD nail polishes from Nordstrom Rack when they were $5 each. I love the red one, Mrs. Mia Wallace!

image.jpg

I have packed up a huge Sephora mail return. While doing this, I had an insight about my shopping, so I decided to write about it. 

I realized that when I buy something, instead of being satisfied, I get a craving to buy more and more, and I cannot stop. For this reason, I find it easier to be on a strict no buy like this than a low buy. I don't know why my brain functions this way. Maybe it is an illness like OCD, I don't know. Maybe I should see a doctor about it.

I never used to buy from Sephora. I get nervous in the store. I find it loud and small and crowded, and I never know what to get. But on Black Friday, I went online and bought some of the value sets. Then I went back for Cyber Monday. Then they had the Merry Mini Advent calendar promotion, with a new surprise mini with $25 purchase every day. I got obsessed with this promotion, and I even opened a new retail card because I had to go back and shop daily. At the time, I recall thinking that this is how a compulsive gambler must feel. I wanted to push those buttons. If I did not care for the deal on offer, I was disappointed because I wanted to put things and my cart and buy! I also loved getting packages every day. 

I decided to try and return everything I charged on the retail card I opened. Most of it is not used. I charged over $450 on this card from Sephora over about a two week period. I also changed about $400 on other cards at Sephora during December. I know I spent that much because I recall wondering if I should charge another $200 to attain Rouge. 

I will list the things I am returning below. 

Lancome La Vie Est Belle Night Out Duo - with Dolce and Gabbana Dolce Body Lotion Mini

Glamglow Thirsty Cleanse with Korres Wild Rose and Vitamin C Treatment Mini

Josie Maran Winter Dreams Set with Foundation Sample Set

Givenchy Rose Revelateur Gloss with Versace Yellow Diamond Mini

Skin Wonderland Set with Sunday Riley Primer Mini

The Ciate Daily with Dr Jart Pore Medic Primer Mini

Elizabeth and James Nirvana Set with Clarins Sunscreen Mini

Nails Inc Victoria Beckham with Carven Le Parfum Mini

Pantone Marsala Lipstick

OCC Set with Niche Fragrance Sample Bag

OCC Set with Guerlain Maxi Lash Mini

Korres Beauty Shots Mask Set with Versace Bright Crystal Body Lotion Mini

I have only tried five of the items. I could not even stand to look at them because I feel sick with guilt over all I spent. I packed them up with all samples and point perks that came with the orders. I feel if Sephora refunds my card, it will really help me. Even if they do not, at least I will know I tried to undo the damage. I liked the items and felt bad about returning them. I even told myself doing this return was cheating, a short cut on the no buy. I felt I should have to use them all up and pay them off. I worry what Sephora will think. But now that everything is packed, I feel good about my efforts. 

Just wanted to mention a couple of things about returns. I'm not saying this to make anyone feel bad, it's just something I think we should all keep in mind (myself included - I'm guilty of the buy/return cycle as well).

When we return beauty products, even unused ones, the stores cannot sell them to someone else because there's no way of knowing with certainty if the product has been tampered with. Those products are now a loss for the company and to offset that, prices go up. Not to mention the environmental costs of throwing out huge volumes of unused or lightly used beauty products. Some stores are also tracking returns so eventually certain customers might be prevented from returning any more, or policies might change to prevent returns on beauty products altogether. This has already happened at one of the drugstores here in the past few years. Personally I think it's great to be able to return items that you turn out to be allergic to, or that really don't work for you, and it would be a shame if that was no longer an option due to us taking advantage of the policies.

Anyway.. return it if you've got it and you know it was a mistake, but something to think about for future purchases. If we don't rely on being able to return it, we'll probably all make better choices anyways!  :flowers:  

When we return beauty products, even unused ones, the stores cannot sell them to someone else because there's no way of knowing with certainty if the product has been tampered with. Those products are now a loss for the company and to offset that, prices go up. Not to mention the environmental costs of throwing out huge volumes of unused or lightly used beauty products. Some stores are also tracking returns so eventually certain customers might be prevented from returning any more, or policies might change to prevent returns on beauty products altogether
These are really excellent points. I am glad you pointed them out. I feel badly about what I did (all day). Plus, I don't even know if the store will refund my card because I closed it! They may give me store credit and then I will shop again - very dangerous. 

I saw some results of my no buy and then I wanted more results right away. But no buy - paying down debts, using up products (even foils), panning palettes, takes a lot of time and patience. I need to be patient. In a way, I cheated on the no buy! I don't feel good about it.  Plus I miss my stuff. I won't take this route again. I'm going to be patient with things. 

@ @@eastofthesun and @@tweakabell Thank you for your kind advice! I really appreciate the time you took to read my long debate with myself about the purchase.  I'm going to stick with my original plan for the lotion and not let it cause me to spiral into a purchasing spiral. I'm calling it an allowable replacement, so the no-buy is still on.  Thank you again to everyone in this forum for all of your support, we can all get through this with the support of everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
These are really excellent points. I am glad you pointed them out. I feel badly about what I did (all day). Plus, I don't even know if the store will refund my card because I closed it! They may give me store credit and then I will shop again - very dangerous.

I saw some results of my no buy and then I wanted more results right away. But no buy - paying down debts, using up products (even foils), panning palettes, takes a lot of time and patience. I need to be patient. In a way, I cheated on the no buy! I don't feel good about it. Plus I miss my stuff. I won't take this route again. I'm going to be patient with things.
I hope you feel better about it soon! Chalk it up to a learning experience and forgive yourself. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I think a lot of us have that mindset that we can return things if we need to. Especially with something that is limited edition or new and hyped. But I just wanted to highlight the drawbacks to that approach so we can all make better choices in the future.

I get nervous in the store. I find it loud and small and crowded, and I never know what to get.
I understand this feeling completely.  I went into a Sephora store exactly once.  I had ordered (online) one of those mascara kits online that comes with a voucher for a free full-sized mascara.  They'd just put a Sephora in the mall near me so I used the voucher as an excuse to go in.  I found it kind of intimidating in a way that Ulta just isn't (but I've been getting my hair dyed at Ulta for more than 8 years so it's familiar territory).  I still buy stuff from Sephora (when I'm not on a no-buy) but usually just their website.  I do like all the value kits because I'll never use up much full-sized stuff, I'm learning as I do this no-buy.  But I got enough of them last year that I need to use some of that stuff before I ever think about getting more.

Went to Ulta, by the way, for a hair appointment today, and bought nothing (just paid for the hair appointment and left!).  Went to TJ Maxx to use some gift cards and spent then on clothes of exactly the type I intended to get before I went in (no makeup or anything).  So I'm feeling pretty good.

Latest posts

Back