100 Day No Buy Challenge Slumber Party (General Chat)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the idea of combining a clean out project with the no-buy. I have a never-ending list of projects that need to be done around the house sonI think I will start working on those. I gave a terrible all or nothing mentality (if it can't be done in one sitting I tend not to do it) so I need to start tackling things slowly instead of thinking I'll get the entire house perfectly clean and organized in one weekend.

After two years of unemployment, I start a new job 1/5!

My first impulse is to say I need new clothes. It's a casual office, but my momma uniform of jeans, t shirt and stretched out sports bra won't really cut it. I've ordered new bras because you can't fudge that. But in spirit of the no-buy, I'm going to spend this week going thru my closet and trying things on to see if I can't pull together at least five decent work outfits. That's all I really need, right?

I sooo need to shop my own wardrobe.  The other day I spent a few hours trying to get my guest bedroom back in presentable shape.  It normally gets used to fold laundry, and in turn is a catch-all for lots of other things.  I probably have 30 pairs of black pants, but only wear about 8 of them because the others were buried.  With that said, I still only like about 5 pairs of them -- many don't fit well or are just too worn out.  Instead of buying new pants, I'm going to alter the pants that are in good shape, but are just too long.

Next up is a closet purge -- I refuse to buy more hangers!  I need to actually follow through with this, because the last time I purged I sat a box of clothes by the door -- where it STILL sits more than 2 years later.  It's like it is a piece of furniture at this point.  Clutter is always a problem with me, so I hope to reduce that.  And when I decide to get rid of stuff I need to REALLY get rid of it.

Through all of this I hope to uncover some of the stuff I've stashed away -- hopefully that will help me to realize I do not need ANYTHING.  I have a bad habit of buying things to replace things I can't find.  Ugh.

I have had some success -- I found a set of house keys that has been missing for years.  Now if I could find my passport and the checks I ordered, I'd be very happy!

For at least the first month, I'm going to go sort/clean whenever I feel the need to shop. I'm doing a year-long closet clean-out where on Jan 1st, you take all the clothes in your closet and hang them backwards. Everytime you pull something and wear it, hang it back the regular way. At the end of the year, anything you haven't worn that year (excluding formalwear or not-regular clothing) that is still hanging backwards must be given away/donated/trashed (if it's torn/has holes/etc).

So if I'm wanting to shop, I'll go to my closet and design an outfit based on something I haven't worn in awhile! It will spark my creativity AND help me not spend money!
I do this every January. It lets me see what I haven't wore and helps me highlight what I need in my closet.

Ladies, I gave away some nail polish! It seems minor but I tend to hoard everything just in case I might want to use it one day. My mom and sister were over for the holidays and wanted to look at my collection. There were a couple of colors they liked, so I let them keep them. I have well over 100 bottles so I won't miss them.

Ladies, I gave away some nail polish! It seems minor but I tend to hoard everything just in case I might want to use it one day. My mom and sister were over for the holidays and wanted to look at my collection. There were a couple of colors they liked, so I let them keep them. I have well over 100 bottles so I won't miss them.
Nicely done!!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Good job.

I fluctuate between a lot of shapes and sizes so it is really hard to find clothes that fit well.
I know that feeling.  I'm on the heavier side (for me) at the moment.  I was doing so well and then my car randomly died (in the middle of an intersection) in early October.  That caused a lot of stress.  I quit exercising and just started eating all kinds of crap.  I have pants in at least 3, maybe 4 sizes in my closet.  I tend to have a pear shape so my shirts all still fit, at least.

On the bright side, I now have a new car (with a warranty) and I was able to squeeze the payments into my budget by cutting my cable service and a few subscriptions.  So no more worries about unreliable transportation.  Plus, I have set an entirely reasonable goal weight for the end of the year (means losing maybe 1/2 pound per week, which is totally doable).

I am identifying with a LOT of the issues people have brought up here and in the other thread.  I'm glad I decided to join.  I don't really know anyone in real life who would be a good accountability partner, or who would understand, so this community is awesome to have found.

Here's what I am doing to get ready these last few days, being extra attentive to my skincare. I will  be using my PC Resist Weekly Resurfacing Treatment today, followed by Dr Jart's Ceramidin Cream so I have a smooth, fresh canvas of skin for Day 1.

Also doing the ELF lip exfoliate treatment for smooth flake-free lips, and using a clarifying shampoo. I love the idea of a fresh, clean start!

I've been teasing myself by wearing no makeup for the past few days, and not allowing myself to wear any until January 1st. In the meantime I've been tempting myself by going through my keep stash and working up excitement to use my pretties!

Singing "Like a Virgin" to my stash, even though I don't care for Madonna, the song is appropriate to the situation.

Hi 100'ers!

Dipping my toes in the water over here.  I've been following the other thread and am trying to wrap my head around my parameters.

I recently found out that my summer part-time job as a bartender is gone.  The venue is going with another vendor and I'm not sure if they'll hire us back.  So for now, I'm just a teacher.   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm thinking about using NYE as a time to organize my stash to help me mentally prepare for this.  I have a few other options for NYE that involve going out, but I'm just not feeling it.  Added bonus, I'm home when my dogs freak out at midnight due to fireworks. 
Hi! I love the name 100'ers! CUTE!

Good idea to use NYE as a time to organize! Also, glad you'll be home with your poor pooches as they get scared of all the loud fireworks!

I reorganized my cosmetics today and felt overwhelmed, and depressed with how much I have. It made me feel down .... but I guess that is the first step to getting better.

I am so impressed with these threads and the positive energy! When I open my email, there among the sales ads are wonderful posts from these threads! You guys are awesome.

I keep clearing my browsing history so I won't get ads from the beauty sites I visit. I was looking at bronzers on a site, and then I went into my email and got a photo of them and a message saying "You know you want it." LOL

This is the last weekend of my old life! :lol:
I love this post! First of all, you're so right about making a change- I guess we have to see how bad it really is before we can truly change. And I'm also impressed with all the positivity in this group! Also- terrific idea about clearing your browser. Hahah, I hate how it tracks what I've been searching for and then reminds me here in the no buy area through ads!

Yay! Here's to the last week of our old, clutter-filled, make-up acquiring lives!

I'm so enthused over this that I haven't glanced at a single sale! After doing the sort-a-palooza and getting the most incredible Secret Santa gifts I feel glutted and giddy on makeup. For now at least I have zero temptations, which is an odd but exciting feeling of freedom.
That's awesome! Having no temptations must be just wonderful! I have some, but I don't feel like I'm going to act on them, they are more just wants in the back of my mind that I'm keeping track of on a list but will not make any purchases. Oooh, I haven't made a makeup purchase since.... two weeks ago, I think. Maybe more! YAY!!! I am considering returning some things I had purchased though. We'll see!

I've decided I'm going to try to use things I already have.  I have a flat iron and a curling iron that have never been touched.  I'm not good at styling my hair, so I'm going to learn (and I have a ton of styling products from sub boxes so I don't need to buy anything).  I also have non-beauty-related stuff I don't use or haven't used in a long time, like a sewing machine and a pressure cooker.  So I'm going to learn how to use those.  I have an entire closet full of craft supplies so I'm going to try to work my way through that stash, too.

Also I need to work on cleaning my condo.  That takes up time, which is good.  (I have pets so I should clean much more often than I do.)  And I have a massive number of books (both paper and electronic) that I haven't read, so I'm going to work on that.

I think I'm also going to leave my credit cards at home.  I do a lot of my impulse buying at work when I run out of real work to do.  Can't do that if I don't have the cards with me.  Most of the numbers got changed this year (I shopped at Home Depot and Target) so I don't have them memorized any longer.
Those are some seriously good ideas! I'm going to copy off of you!

For at least the first month, I'm going to go sort/clean whenever I feel the need to shop.  I'm doing a year-long closet clean-out where on Jan 1st, you take all the clothes in your closet and hang them backwards.  Everytime you pull something and wear it, hang it back the regular way.  At the end of the year, anything you haven't worn that year (excluding formalwear or not-regular clothing) that is still hanging backwards must be given away/donated/trashed (if it's torn/has holes/etc).

So if I'm wanting to shop, I'll go to my closet and design an outfit based on something I haven't worn in awhile!  It will spark my creativity AND help me not spend money!
YES! Wonderful idea! I'm so going to do this!

I love the idea of combining a clean out project with the no-buy. I have a never-ending list of projects that need to be done around the house sonI think I will start working on those. I gave a terrible all or nothing mentality (if it can't be done in one sitting I tend not to do it) so I need to start tackling things slowly instead of thinking I'll get the entire house perfectly clean and organized in one weekend.
I have the same all-or-nothing mentality. I really need to toss that out the window!!

After two years of unemployment, I start a new job 1/5!

My first impulse is to say I need new clothes. It's a casual office, but my momma uniform of jeans, t shirt and stretched out sports bra won't really cut it. I've ordered new bras because you can't fudge that. But in spirit of the no-buy, I'm going to spend this week going thru my closet and trying things on to see if I can't pull together at least five decent work outfits. That's all I really need, right?
Congratulations, @@acostakk !

I know that feeling.  I'm on the heavier side (for me) at the moment.  I was doing so well and then my car randomly died (in the middle of an intersection) in early October.  That caused a lot of stress.  I quit exercising and just started eating all kinds of crap.  I have pants in at least 3, maybe 4 sizes in my closet.  I tend to have a pear shape so my shirts all still fit, at least.

On the bright side, I now have a new car (with a warranty) and I was able to squeeze the payments into my budget by cutting my cable service and a few subscriptions.  So no more worries about unreliable transportation.  Plus, I have set an entirely reasonable goal weight for the end of the year (means losing maybe 1/2 pound per week, which is totally doable).

I am identifying with a LOT of the issues people have brought up here and in the other thread.  I'm glad I decided to join.  I don't really know anyone in real life who would be a good accountability partner, or who would understand, so this community is awesome to have found.
I'm the heaviest I've ever been and my pants are really uncomfortable right now. I might have to start exercising so I can fit into my clothes, hahahah!

Congrats on the new car and how that all worked out- you did a great job digging in there and getting it to work!

Also, I am so so so having the same identifying feelings to the issues people are mentioning here. I love how this 100-day no-buy challenge turned into so much  more than just that!!!! Thank you so much @@Kristine Walker !!!!

Guys, just 2 days left after tonight!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU READY? I can't hear you. ARE YOU READY?????????????

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Oh, another thing that's not related to makeup, but for getting ready for a New Year, is cleaning out the fridge, freezers, and pantry!

Be sure to rotate your food supplies so that you use things up before they expire! Once I rotate by expiration date I group things by type so there's no confusion on quantities before making a grocery list. If I don't keep a close eye I easily end up buying more than I need of one thing, and running slap out of another.

Tomorrow DH and I tackle the chest freezer all the way to the bare bottom, and repack with newest on bottom and oldest on top, he just doesn't know it yet.

We are in the same situation!  I am a pear shape as well and I can fit into shirts from middle school (I'm a sophomore in college).  This last semester was crazy stressful and busy so I was eating tons of unhealthy food and didn't go to the gym.  I haven't actually gained too much weight, I just find my pants and skirts not looking extremely flattering.  So I've been buying clothes like crazy thinking that once I look better I'll feel better, but I've realized it's the other way around.  I'm going to cut back all spending, especially on clothes and makeup and just try to be happier.  I'm hoping this 100 day challenge will help

Oh, another thing that's not related to makeup, but for getting ready for a New Year, is cleaning out the fridge, freezers, and pantry!

Be sure to rotate your food supplies so that you use things up before they expire! Once I rotate by expiration date I group things by type so there's no confusion on quantities before making a grocery list. If I don't keep a close eye I easily end up buying more than I need of one thing, and running slap out of another.
I need to keep up on this. As part of the 33 Days of Decluttering challenge I ended up throwing out some old, un-used and expired food items from my pantry. This should not be happening. I think I'm going to rotate everything and then wait until almost all of the canned and boxed goods are gone before buying anything new. Same goes for our freezer. We have more than enough food to feed us for quite a while.

Back