100 Day No Buy Challenge Slumber Party (General Chat)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a pear shape as well and I can fit into shirts from middle school (I'm a sophomore in college). This last semester was crazy stressful and busy so I was eating tons of unhealthy food and didn't go to the gym. I haven't actually gained too much weight, I just find my pants and skirts not looking extremely flattering.
Sounds like me when I was in college.  At first clothes just didn't fit well.  Weight gain did eventually come, but probably not until sophomore or junior year.  I've lost it and put it back on a few times since then (grad school was the worst...I gained 40 pounds in about 3 years).  I let stressful things get to me.

If I still had shirts from junior high, though, I think they'd be falling apart from age...

So anyway, one way I deal with stress is eating (eating too much, eating junk, etc.).  Another one is stopping exercising.  The third one is buying stuff.  At different points in my life, it's been different stuff.  For a long while, it was craft supplies -- went through a fabric stage, a bead stage, a yarn stage, etc.  Then it was animals (I had SOOOOO many pets at one point -- like 28 birds and 2 rats and 4 hamsters and a guinea pig and an iguana and a tortoise and a dog and 5 cats and 4 aquariums).  I had a houseplant stage as well (and a lot of orchids and African violets and all of the various meters and types of potting material and fertilizer that went along with them).  I've gone on novel-buying binges before, too, and once I went a little nuts ordering different types of tea and whole grain flour.  Oh, and shoes and handbags.  Lately it's been beauty products, hence my participation in this thread.

Sounds like me when I was in college.  At first clothes just didn't fit well.  Weight gain did eventually come, but probably not until sophomore or junior year.  I've lost it and put it back on a few times since then (grad school was the worst...I gained 40 pounds in about 3 years).  I let stressful things get to me.

If I still had shirts from junior high, though, I think they'd be falling apart from age...

So anyway, one way I deal with stress is eating (eating too much, eating junk, etc.).  Another one is stopping exercising.  The third one is buying stuff.  At different points in my life, it's been different stuff.  For a long while, it was craft supplies -- went through a fabric stage, a bead stage, a yarn stage, etc.  Then it was animals (I had SOOOOO many pets at one point -- like 28 birds and 2 rats and 4 hamsters and a guinea pig and an iguana and a tortoise and a dog and 5 cats and 4 aquariums).  I had a houseplant stage as well (and a lot of orchids and African violets and all of the various meters and types of potting material and fertilizer that went along with them).  I've gone on novel-buying binges before, too, and once I went a little nuts ordering different types of tea and whole grain flour.  Oh, and shoes and handbags.  Lately it's been beauty products, hence my participation in this thread.
I have one shirt from jr high -- remember those (Generra?) color changing shirts?  Yeah, I still have that, tho it no longer changes color. It must have been HUGE on me since I can still wear it.  

Everything highlighted is why I'm here.  I'm a thing-chaser.  They aren't trends, per se, rather ideas that get in my head.  And then I get bored.

I did make a deal with myself today.  Provided all goes well in this 100 days, I know what I'm getting.

The full size Jo Malone candle in Lime, Basil and Mandarin (not the $455). I bought the travel candle today and it is my goal to light it when I'm feeling weak. Remember the goal. Sixty-five dollars is way less than what I would normally spend on 'stuff' in a month, so saving for over 3 months for my WANT item seems reasonable.

I told the girls in Nordstrom's about my challenge and the details for the above purchase.  They thought it was fabulous and told me they'd see me in 100 days.

Ya know, I'm kind of looking forward to using my hair samples.  I'd love to be able to not buy shampoo during those 100 days.  I'm going to see how long I can make it!  (And I should b/c I just remembered I have another set of liters of Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Sham/Cond.  Totally making it.)

OMG -- imagine this.  I could blow through ALL of my mascara samples.  Wouldn't that be awesome???

Sounds like me when I was in college.  At first clothes just didn't fit well.  Weight gain did eventually come, but probably not until sophomore or junior year.  I've lost it and put it back on a few times since then (grad school was the worst...I gained 40 pounds in about 3 years).  I let stressful things get to me.   If I still had shirts from junior high, though, I think they'd be falling apart from age...   So anyway, one way I deal with stress is eating (eating too much, eating junk, etc.).  Another one is stopping exercising.  The third one is buying stuff.  At different points in my life, it's been different stuff.  For a long while, it was craft supplies -- went through a fabric stage, a bead stage, a yarn stage, etc.  Then it was animals (I had SOOOOO many pets at one point -- like 28 birds and 2 rats and 4 hamsters and a guinea pig and an iguana and a tortoise and a dog and 5 cats and 4 aquariums).  I had a houseplant stage as well (and a lot of orchids and African violets and all of the various meters and types of potting material and fertilizer that went along with them).  I've gone on novel-buying binges before, too, and once I went a little nuts ordering different types of tea and whole grain flour.  Oh, and shoes and handbags.  Lately it's been beauty products, hence my participation in this thread.
I absolutely love your honesty. 

Yesterday I posted in the no-buy forum that I have an unofficial goal to generate  at least 100 empties (deluxe & full-sized items = 1 used product; 2 foils = 1 used product) in 100 days all while not buying any more beauty products.  

Today, I am wondering whether or not I should post pictures of the non-makeup & makeup products I plan to use or at the very least hit pan on during the 100 day challenge?  At the end, to show progress, post a photo of the empties.

Is this a good idea?  What are your thoughts?

Yesterday I posted in the no-buy forum that I have an unofficial goal to generate  at least 100 empties (deluxe & full-sized items = 1 used product; 2 foils = 1 used product) in 100 days all while not buying any more beauty products.  

Today, I am wondering whether or not I should post pictures of the non-makeup & makeup products I plan to use or at the very least hit pan on during the 100 day challenge?  At the end, to show progress, post a photo of the empties.

Is this a good idea?  What are your thoughts?
Yes, definitely! Pan photos are so much better when you have a before to compare them to!

Hi guys,

I am not completely done shopping online yet, though I am tapering off a lot. I spent my Christmas money on food so I could use my pay to get ahead on credit card bills. That was a good idea because yesterday, my boss cancelled most of the work week as he cannot afford payroll due to a Christmas slowdown! I am so burned out on my job, I was actually thrilled and relieved.

This morning as usual I woke up at 3am and got on my computer. And as usual the first thing I did was look for cosmetics. I shopped a little, but then I APPLIED FOR A NEW JOB!!!! Guys, I am getting better!

I am not completely done shopping online yet, though I am tapering off a lot.
I have let myself look at a few sites when I've gotten promo details and I've been surprised, but I haven't hit "buy" on any of them.  I think sorting my stash last week really helped.  At first I was like, "ooh, 30% off on Wantable makeup" and then I'm like, "what could they possibly send me that I don't already have like 10 (or 30) of?"

I think I'm ready for this. This past week I took my backups and organized then by type I to separate empty Memeboxes. There should not be anything that needs to be replaced in the next 100 days. I've made a few after Christmas purchases to stock up on a few items that I'll need (it was all very calculated). I also got some storage drawers to pretty up my vanity and make it easier to see what makeup I already have. I also filled up a box with my makeup gifts from Christmas to pull out when I need something new. Finally, I put all of my foils into a Birchbox so that I can easily grab a few each week to try out.

I'm a little nervous but definetely excited!

@@EdithS2 Congrats on doing the job search instead of spending hours window shopping! Prayers are with you that you find the right job for you quickly

@@SneakyBurrito I can so relate about going through different obsessive phases! I've been through cake decorating, candy making, Chinese brush painting, Princess Diana books and so much more through the years.

Logically, I know that buying stuff and eating can never fix that scary, lonely emptiness inside that drives the beast, but knowing and feeling are just not the same. The crazy says "Go ahead and buy it, you'll feel so much better. And if you really , truly squint at it, it isn't really just like that stuff you already have, you need this for your collection"

What is different this time is having this forum, and all of you supporting each other, coming together to get a grip for 100 days. But, already for me, this is going beyond a simple no-buy. There is new strength to the resolve, thoughts bubbling up about the why , if that makes sense.

I can so relate about going through different obsessive phases! I've been through cake decorating, candy making, Chinese brush painting, Princess Diana books and so much more through the years.

Logically, I know that buying stuff and eating can never fix that scary, lonely emptiness inside that drives the beast, but knowing and feeling are just not the same. The crazy says "Go ahead and buy it, you'll feel so much better. And if you really , truly squint at it, it isn't really just like that stuff you already have, you need this for your collection"

What is different this time is having this forum, and all of you supporting each other, coming together to get a grip for 100 days. But, already for me, this is going beyond a simple no-buy. There is new strength to the resolve, thoughts bubbling up about the why , if that makes sense.
This is exactly the realization I came to in 2014. 2013 I tried to get a handle on the symptoms and as soon as I would try to patch up one area of bad habits the same patterns would leak through somewhere else. You can only bail water for so long before you have to actually focus on the cause of the problem. The "why" is the real key! 2015 and this challenge, for me, is about turning what I learned about myself into positive changes. You're right on point that this is so much more than a no buy challenge.

Same here with the obsessive phases! I'm lucky enough that most of them have been in the forms of some sort of craft, so they blend together. I've also had a cooking phase, a beauty product making phase, and now the makeup phase. It's mellowed out a lot since I was a kid. I used to go through phases every few months back then. 

Challenge Prep Update:

I inventoried all my makeup products specifically and set an ultimate goal for where I would like my stash to be at some point. .

There are other parts of my life that I would like to work on organizing as well, and if I'm busy amassing ridiculous amounts of makeup I know I won't like/use, that's never going to happen. Going along with that, I wrote up a list of my holy-grail or almost-holy-grail products that I can buy if and only if they run out, most of which are not likely. 

Under the spoiler I have more, it's just long and rambly. I've decided I need to check in here every time I go to purchase a makeup product, return a makeup product, or go anywhere with a particularly tempting makeup section, as my Walgreens trip went amazingly well- whereas my trip to Ulta to return things didn't go nearly as well. 

In addition to my general inventory, I also did a more individual inventory of smaller categories (I rarely wear coral, I don't even need 3 coral lippies, but I love soft and midtone pink lips so it makes more sense to own more of those in different styles because I will actually use them). Then I wrote down my own personal goals for those areas, and marked the ones which are reasonable to complete during the 100 day challenge (scientifically speaking setting reasonable achievable goals increases one's long term happiness and also greatly improves motivation).

I am working on using up my skin and hair care during this time as well, but I haven't inventoried those yet. For me it's mostly that I need to use what I have so I can try or decide on my favorites and be done with it. I hate trying new skincare, except lotions which I seem to hoard and never use up with the exception of a couple of favorites.

Holy Grail Items (may be replaced if completely finished without having to wait until I have removed all similar products)

- It is unlikely that I will be needing any of these things but I figured I should list them for my own reference of where my priorities lie

• Benefit Gimme Brow
  • Hourglass Eyeliner
  • Ayres Body Butter
  • My very favorite eyeshadow crease shade 
  • Clinique Chubby Stick in Super Strawberry
  • Larenim Dusk Til Dawn
  • Drip Dry by OPI
  • Murad Clarifying Spray

Great ideas! Other than my no-buy and de-stashing goals, I made several other New Year's resolutions which should keep me busy and off tempting sites. One is a fitness goal, so I will be bicycling more often (indoors now, outside when it is nice again).

Another is to start reading more again. I have a stash of about 20 books just waiting for me.

Cleaning and reorganizing is always a good use of my time. Yet another goal is to get all of my photos (both print and digital) organized this year.

We have other financial goals, too, so keeping track of our spending and getting back to my couponing/sales shopping should save me money as opposed to me spending it.

We really want to spend less money on eating out, but that will have to be started January 12th because my daughter's birthday is the 2nd, our anniversary is the 4th, and my son's birthday is the 11th. Those are all eat out/order in occasions for us.

Keep the ideas coming. I really want this to be a year for a whole better me. Maybe I am over-thinking turning 40 this coming year, but am hoping to make many positive changes.

Hi All!

I first joined up in the other thread because I am amazed by how much beauty items I accumulated from subscriptions despite, my limitations with my eye disease and rosacea. I have 1 and a half pretty storage boxes from Michaels that are full of usable items, not to mention what I am currently am using and 21 nail polishes. This is a lot for me being I was a minimalist due to the rosacea. Beauty subs have opened a wonderful world to me. I don't want to let it grow out of control.

Yesterday we took my older son's cat to the emergency vet. Turns out his cat has a total urinary blockage. We caught it in time before there was kidney damage. Still we had to pay the low estimate on the bill for his treatment which includes at least 3 nights at the hospital. Major money. I'm glad that we are able to afford it, but it puts us behind.

I'm hoping to focus on other activities too. Rediscover or find new hobbies. There is a lot of stress from my sister who is mentally ill, doesn't drive, and lives in one of our rentals and works for me. She's been coming over to where I live for counseling and medical treatment. It's improving, but it's still a difficult situation.

ETA amusing and am using are 2 different concepts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday we took my older son's cat to the emergency vet. Turns out his cat has a total urinary blockage. We caught it in time before there was kidney damage. Still we had to pay the low estimate on the bill for his treatment which includes at least 3 nights at the hospital. Major money. I'm glad that we are able to afford it, but it puts us behind.
This almost happened to one of my cats, but I caught it before it hit total blockage (but naturally 10 minutes after my regular vet closed so I had to go to the emergency vet which cost a bunch more).  He had to go on anti-anxiety medication because, for some reason, issues like this in cats are often tied to stress.  It worked like a charm and although he had one relapse, he has not had any issues since 2012.  But don't get me started on cats with inflammatory bowel disease.  Care Credit has really saved me.  Multiple times.

This time last year, I had maybe 2 nail polishes.  Now I have three racks that hold 60 bottles each, and they're mostly full.  This is why I need to stop buying stuff!  I have not been exhibiting good judgment this year...

This almost happened to one of my cats, but I caught it before it hit total blockage (but naturally 10 minutes after my regular vet closed so I had to go to the emergency vet which cost a bunch more).  He had to go on anti-anxiety medication because, for some reason, issues like this in cats are often tied to stress.
I hope I did the quote correctly. I'm glad to hear that your cat is doing better.  I noticed the problem moments after our vet closed.for the evening My son noticed it the day before and thought he was constipated. He felt really bad about not telling me. Care Credit is great.  The animal hospital did mention stress. The only thing I can think of is having my sister here during the week while she is at her appointments. It's stressful for everyone :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> They recommended a phermone collar. I am sure there will be more recommendations later when he is discharged. My older son saw him today. He's doing much better and is full of purrs. I stayed home with my younger son because our cat still has IVs and a catheter attadhed to him. I'm not sure how my 6 yo would react to seeing him that way.

Is there a spellcheck for the reply boxes? I can't find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the no buy is HERE in my time zone and I am relieved. My last beauty purchase was yesterday. And I am very happy to report that I have cancelled all beauty subs but Glossybox, which is paid for another eleven months. I cannot shop for any other subs during the no buy.

I feel a great weight has been lifted from me and am grateful to embark on this journey with such wonderful company.

Happy No Buy!

I looked at my credit card balances this morning.  Like all of them, together.  And then I proceeded to cancel four subscriptions -- including one I had intended to keep.  A couple more are on the chopping block now, and sooner rather than later.  Wow, I had no idea it was that bad.

I started a spreadsheet where I'll track the balances.  That is a lot of big numbers.  But it has definitely strengthened my resolve to stick with this.

Back