18 year old daughter has very dry skin, very sensitive skin and break outs...help please

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got her Dermalogica Clean Start kit from Ulta about 6 weeks ago and she hated it. It stung around her cheek bones where her skin is the driest and overall seemed to make her even drier...and no relief from the break outs which occur mostly around her hair line.

She is also very sensitive to anything acidic, lemons, oranges etc.

I know how important clean moisturized skin is and want to help her to get into a healthy skin routine however I'm just not sure which direction to go and I was hoping you all might be able to help me zero in on a direction.

Has she been to a doctor yet to determine if she does have acne or something else like Roscea?

Our doctor says he believes it is caused by our water and the very dry climate here. 

To rule out the water I would suggest, if possible, changing out the shower head with one with a filtration system. If you have a Home Depot or Lowes (any hardware store should have these) search for a "Filtered Showerhead". There are standard mount heads and of course hand held ones to choose from and the prices range from around $20 up to $75. If it's the water a filter showerhead will get rid of a good deal of impurities that aggravate her skin.

Because she has dry skin I would recommend she keeps herself hydrates as much as possible. Do you have a Sephora or Macy's nearby? If so ask for a sample of Bare Minerals Exfoliating Treatment Cleanser. I have Rosecea and so my skin is sensitive but I'm oily/combo skin. You can also ask for a sample of Purely Nourishing Cream — Dry Skin (I used under their old name of Rare Minerals the Purely Nourishing Moisturizer — Combination Skin). I love the cleanser and moisturizer and found it to be gentle to my face and didn't aggravate my skin. Will it help? It might, I can't guarantee it will which is why I recommend getting a sample so you won't be out any money just in case it doesn't work or if she finds it to be too harsh for her skin.

While I was in Victoria, I totally noticed the difference in water -hard water vs soft.  My skin was so dry and itchy.  You can have your water tested...a water softener unit would help with the water.

There is a strong relationship between dehydrated skin and acne, through low grade chronic inflammation and a damaged skin barrier. Does your daughter consistently meet or exceed ALL your government's recommendations for healthy eating and lifestyle? Does the Clean Start, her shampoo or shower gel contain sulphate surfactants? Does wearing her hair off her face day and night, plus switching the pillowcases frequently make any difference? Does she use a sunscreen containing zinc oxide on a daily basis daily? When you say sensitive to citrus fruits what do you mean? Eaten or applied, what is the reaction?

I myself have very dry skin. Hot showers are really bad for dry skin and exfoliating is very important. One thing is drinking a lot of water and I take a vitamin E gel cap every day. I also use La Met cream by day and night along with the cleanser for dry skin and serum. This is expensive. I also use on my body something called Egyptian magic. It is made up of precious oils and I smooth this on my body after I shower. It is great. Amazon does sell this for thirty dollars and its wonderful.Google this, Madonna and may stars swear by it and its all natural ingredients. Also always cleanse her face using cool water. If La Mer is too high I would try Dermalogical daily microfoliant, and other skincare for dry skin in this line.

If the water in your area is the possible culprit for your daughter's dry skin and you can't do anything with it, maybe you should do something on the other aspect. Granted that the quality of water is not good, try to opt to use natural products for her daily regimen. Instead of using commercially available soaps, switch to natural soaps that do not contain any harmful chemicals. Or better yet, do your own soap.  And instead of using lotions as moisturizer use plant derived oil like almond oil, sunflower oil, grape seed oil, avocado oil. These oils are really great in moisturizing dry skin, but if you can get unrefined shea butter much better! In addition to that, include plenty of fruits in her diet, tell her to drink lots of water and get sufficient amount of sleep. I promise you, it would do wonders on your daughter's skin!
smilehappyyes.gif

Latest posts

Back