1890 vs 2004: Media

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Look at this "diet ad" from 1890 and look at this ad from 2004.

Toothin2.gif

skinny2.jpg
Guess what year this is from?

Originally Posted by Californian Look at this "diet ad" from 1890 and look at this ad from 2004.
Toothin2.gif

skinny2.jpg

What a trip..Times have definitely changed..And not necessarily for the better.

Originally Posted by Irishgirl Good Lord! I am living in the wrong decade then..To think my body could have been worshiped back then makes me feel special..LOL! Whatever happened to that philosophy anyway? If Sir-Mix-Alot loves my bod, then what the heck is wrong with the rest of the world? "Baby Got Back"..Woo Hoo! Girl...I so hear you..With all the junk in my trunk I could've been a Goddess

LOL @ "Baby Got Back"..Woo Hoo!
icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted by Irishgirl

Good Lord! I am living in the wrong decade then..To think my body could have been worshiped back then makes me feel special..LOL! Whatever happened to that philosophy anyway? If Sir-Mix-Alot loves my bod, then what the heck is wrong with the rest of the world? "Baby Got Back"..Woo Hoo!

Wow - times sure have changed! I remember the paintings of a particular time period, where all the women were portrayed as rounder and voluptuous. I think there's definitely a difference between healthy plumpness and being obesely fat, though.

Originally Posted by Kage_sCupotea Wow - times sure have changed! I remember the paintings of a particular time period, where all the women were portrayed as rounder and voluptuous. I think there's definitely a difference between healthy plumpness and being obesely fat, though. Title: Portrait of a Young WomanDate: 1518-19

<CENTER>
06forna.jpg
</CENTER>

Originally Posted by Californian Look at this "diet ad" from 1890 and look at this ad from 2004.
Toothin2.gif

skinny2.jpg

You know what is sick? I would actually sell my soul to look like that woman in the bikini. Yes, I know.. I'm awful.

Originally Posted by Kage_sCupotea Wow - times sure have changed! I remember the paintings of a particular time period, where all the women were portrayed as rounder and voluptuous. I think there's definitely a difference between healthy plumpness and being obesely fat, though. Unfortunately these days..healty plumpness and being obese are considered one and the same..If you're not rail thin or a single digit size everyone assumes you're on the verge of diabetes,highblood pressure,etc..Yes ,America is the most overweight and unhealthy country in the world but not everyone that isn't a Size 6 is unheathly or on deaths door.I wish people weren't so freakin' hung up on size.There are gorgeous,healthy plus sized women in this world and plus sized is anything from a 13/14(which isn't terribly huge & up).Sorry Kage..not directed at you just a general rant

Originally Posted by GlossAddict You know what is sick? I would actually sell my soul to look like that woman in the bikini. Yes, I know.. I'm awful. Gloss..just out of curiosity..You said," you would sell your soul to look like the women in the bikini"..Don't you think if society celebrated the larger women instead of calling her disgusting and obese ,that you might feel exactly the opposite??

Originally Posted by allisong Gloss..just out of curiosity..You said," you would sell your soul to look like the women in the bikini"..Don't you think if society celebrated the larger women instead of calling her disgusting and obese ,that you might feel exactly the opposite?? It's brainwashing and we all have a bit of it. And I soooooo agree that calling larger or more ample women "disgusting" is entirely unfair and cruel. I have seen the effect it has on women's self-esteem and on their feelings of worth and I have made up my mind NOT to be unkind with my comments about folks who do not fit the figure mold. I see so many things to like in just about everyone. I'd hate for an extra hamburger or two to get in the way. At least Gloss was honest. Many women and girls would sell their soul (so to speak) to be about 90-100 pounds. That sounds about right to me. It's the women with the healthiest, most autonomous sense of self that feels ok as she is despite all of the messages from society that "you are not okay" as you are. That's part of the reason why makeup is popular! lol. At this point, many men are the same way. And I completely agree with Ali that it is not okay. My family had some friends over from Germany for a visit a few weeks ago. There only comments about America were: a) everyone is fat B) we drive poorly c) we have a lot of open land Many thanks to those visitors for making my mother feel awful after she welcomed one of them with a hug, a gift, a homemade apricot pie, her heart, a hand-written, beautiful letter. She's fat and that's ALL they could see, that is also all that they could say. I am also not immune from all of this. I stay thin because I loathe the treatment that overweight people get. Who needs it?

I feel that beautiful women do have curves!!! I know its a cliche but I believe most men like women who have meat on their bones. I think Hollywood is the one with the fascination with the twiggy type. I think we may be further in our technology but not in our thinking. People from our past defined beauty much more correctly than we do now. Women need to celebrate the body they were given and flaunt it with confidence!! (even if you arent a size 0- BTW i'm a size 8)

Originally Posted by shoediva I feel that beautiful women do have curves!!! I know its a cliche but I believe most men like women who have meat on their bones. I think Hollywood is the one with the fascination with the twiggy type. I think we may be further in our technology but not in our thinking. People from our past defined beauty much more correctly than we do now. Women need to celebrate the body they were given and flaunt it with confidence!! (even if you arent a size 0- BTW i'm a size 8) Bravo Shoediva!!

Originally Posted by Californian It's brainwashing and we all have a bit of it. And I soooooo agree that calling larger or more ample women "disgusting" is entirely unfair and cruel. I have seen the effect it has on women's self-esteem and on their feelings of worth and I have made up my mind NOT to be unkind with my comments about folks who do not fit the figure mold. I see so many things to like in just about everyone. I'd hate for an extra hamburger or two to get in the way.At least Gloss was honest. Many women and girls would sell their soul (so to speak) to be about 90-100 pounds. That sounds about right to me. It's the women with the healthiest, most autonomous sense of self that feels ok as she is despite all of the messages from society that "you are not okay" as you are. That's part of the reason why makeup is popular! lol.

At this point, many men are the same way. And I completely agree with Ali that it is not okay.

My family had some friends over from Germany for a visit a few weeks ago. There only comments about America were:

a) everyone is fat

B) we drive poorly

c) we have a lot of open land

Many thanks to those visitors for making my mother feel awful after she welcomed one of them with a hug, a gift, a homemade apricot pie, her heart, a hand-written, beautiful letter. She's fat and that's ALL they could see, that is also all that they could say.

I am also not immune from all of this. I stay thin because I loathe the treatment that overweight people get. Who needs it?

Cali..I feel for your mother..Some people just haven't grasped the tact concept yet and are rudely blunt.I have been on both sides of the weight fence having been very slender then gaining lots of weight with both my pregnancies so I can empathize more then most..I wasn't slamming on Gloss in anyway and I know she was being honest,I'm just curious though to know if being a certain size wasn't so society driven if she may feel differently..Personally,I can give a crap less what others think of me..But that's just me
wink.gif

I didn't think this was directed at me anyway, since we're on the same wavelength from what I've read. I am not rail-thin, and nor would I want to be. Like the others, I think curves are more appreciated by most men than boney skin. Marilyn Monroe had it just right.

Originally Posted by allisong Unfortunately these days..healty plumpness and being obese are considered one and the same..If you're not rail thin or a single digit size everyone assumes you're on the verge of diabetes,highblood pressure,etc..Yes ,America is the most overweight and unhealthy country in the world but not everyone that isn't a Size 6 is unheathly or on deaths door.I wish people weren't so freakin' hung up on size.There are gorgeous,healthy plus sized women in this world and plus sized is anything from a 13/14(which isn't terribly huge & up).Sorry Kage..not directed at you just a general rant

I have to agree with you GlossAddict. I wouldn't mind looking like that either. It's very sick to think that a figure like that is what a woman is suppose to have but it shows how badly we are brainwashed through the media. And who are the ones deciding what the shape of the woman is suppose to be? Men. Have you ever thought of how many men there are in the designer industry? All these standards are set by men. It's amazing. A man can be 30 pounds overweight and women can think that that is attractive but yet it's not being accepted for a woman to be the same way. It's crazy.

Originally Posted by Reija(admin) I have to agree with you GlossAddict. I wouldn't mind looking like that either. It's very sick to think that a figure like that is what a woman is suppose to have but it shows how badly we are brainwashed through the media. And who are the ones deciding what the shape of the woman is suppose to be? Men. Have you ever thought of how many men there are in the designer industry? All these standards are set by men. It's amazing. A man can be 30 pounds overweight and women can think that that is attractive but yet it's not being accepted for a woman to be the same way. It's crazy. I agree Reija..It's definitely male motivated and dominated..The men &media have set the standards..Men get older and gain weight and the become "distinguished" Women become "Old" and "disgusting"It's too bad that we women can't come together and break threw the brainwashing.I guess I'm asking WAY too much though..Decades of brainwashing will take twice as long to reverse

Originally Posted by allisong I agree Reija..It's definitely male motivated and dominated..The men &media have set the standards..Men get older and gain weight and the become "distinguished" Women become "Old" and "disgusting"It's too bad that we women can't come together and break threw the brainwashing.I guess I'm asking WAY too much though..Decades of brainwashing will take twice as long to reverse I don't think we can blame it entirely on men. What you have said is true, Ali and Reija, but what about women taking responsibility for buying it? That means that it is in our power to do the reverse: NOT BUY IT. LOL.It's funny though... can you imagine us girls with naked pics of men in our garages on the walls? LOL. Let's make them live up to an ideal. I believe that they should all look similar to this:

thingsmale.jpg
Any complaints? I think we need to set a new standard for them.

Luv,

Cali

You have a good point Cali about us women reversing it. It's in our power.
icon_wink.gif

Latest posts

Back