30 Inspirations Nail Art Challenge 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Response '#19'

When I did the mani in fall colours as the Inspiration 4.x, I was so very impressed by the orange colours I had as options in my stash, and was looking forward to using them. I also strongly considered throwing some owls into the mix even for the Inspiration mani. I kept it simpler (you could absolutely do something along those - the Inspiration -  abstract lines with a toothpick or trimmed craft brush) and left out the stamping so hopefully it would be easy for people with fewer supplies to also create responses. So here are the owls and 'feathers' in my response, along with many beautiful oranges. :) Also double-duty for 'orange'...
Orange Owls rt2*.jpgOrange Owls lt1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Set 1 inspiration2:

Gradient using L'oreal wishful pinking, L'oreal boozy brunch and topped with Essence sparkle + sand top coat.

First pic before top coat.
/monthly_09_2014/post-93517-0-24766700-1410829885_thumb.jpg

Second pic with top coat.
/monthly_09_2014/post-93517-0-18064300-1410829943_thumb.jpg

Since I am so far behind on both challenges  I figured I would try to do nails that could be used for both challenges.

I wanted to update everyone on the Set Five status. I'm still currently hoping for a few more volunteers to submit some Inspirations. You are welcome, and highly encouraged, to submit even if you haven't posted here before. If you are interested, please send your mani (or link site from which it can be copied) to @. Right now we have three spots to fill. Thank-you so much to JC327, who has recently volunteered!:

Set Five:

1. STORM03 ^.^

2. Monika1

3. JC327

Regarding Set Four, @ will post as soon as she has a moment, but for the time being we have a first Set #4 image in post #437 of this thread (https://www.makeuptalk.com/f/topic/132554-30-inspirations-nail-art-challenge-2014/page-22?do=findComment&comment=2286154) for those of you who are ready to create a response. Remember, all are welcome to post responses to any of the Inspirations at any time. Just post right here in the thread! Sets One through Three are here: https://www.makeuptalk.com/f/topic/132554-30-inspirations-nail-art-challenge-2014/?do=findComment&comment=2213525 (Expand the Spoiler for the appropriate set at the bottom of that first post).

And a little added note - The date for submitting Set #5 Inspirations is extended to October 1st. I hope that will give many of you the time to do a mani to submit. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Thanks!

Sorry, ladies. I lost track of time and put a temporary stop to this nail art challenge. Here is set four. Note that the dates have changed a little because I am posting this late.

I wanted to touch base and apologize for dropping off the face of the earth.  My new job has been outrageously time consuming and I had a bit of a car accident a couple of months ago - nothing super bad - but then i had major car repair issues unrelated to the accident just a few weeks after it.  Lots o' money was needed so lots o' hours have been worked.  I'm really sorry, ladies!

I wanted to touch base and apologize for dropping off the face of the earth. My new job has been outrageously time consuming and I had a bit of a car accident a couple of months ago - nothing super bad - but then i had major car repair issues unrelated to the accident just a few weeks after it. Lots o' money was needed so lots o' hours have been worked. I'm really sorry, ladies!
I had noticed that you hadn't been posting. I'll send some positive thoughts your way!

I wanted to touch base and apologize for dropping off the face of the earth.  My new job has been outrageously time consuming and I had a bit of a car accident a couple of months ago - nothing super bad - but then i had major car repair issues unrelated to the accident just a few weeks after it.  Lots o' money was needed so lots o' hours have been worked.  I'm really sorry, ladies!
Glad you're back and glad things have calmed down! It's also good news you have a job where you can get extra hours when you need them; that helps a lot. No need to apologise, this is of course for fun. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> But I'm happy I might be seeing many more of your manis in the next while! And if you're up to it, a submission for Set Five would be really awesome (hint, hint, everyone else too!) as for set four we're seeing a lot of my manis, which could get boring, and I even resorted to a 'toe pic' - eep!

Response #20

This is my response to @@Jessismith's Galaxy Inspiration. I did use a very small touch of teal as a nod to that one (I wish I'd used more - JH The In Crowd is so beautiful!; a good flash shows on one index finger), but thought that I'd try using purples and a bit of a coppery fall concept and see what happened. Galaxy manis are so great - with just a tiny bit of sponge and a few colours, it's hard to go astray with them. :) I didn't use my own advice from last time to use fewer colours, but as I used the tiniest bit of each colour, it wasn't super muddy. The camera is seeing through the sparkle - it's a lot more glittery and metallic in person.

Purple-copper Galaxy rt.jpgPurple-copper Galaxy lt.jpg

Base: Gelish The Naughty List. Galaxy: Cult Nails Flushed; Jenna Hipp All About You, On The List, Shaken Not Stirred, The In Crowd; Zoya Julieanne, Nimue. 'Stars': OPI Pirouette My Whistle.

Response #24

I'm thinking along the lines of a happy magical fantasy being on Hallowe'en with these stars and swirls! It's a cheerier interpretation in response to my venomous spider and webs. It was also my first experience with the pungent-smelling (wow! acetone is lovely in comparison, but maybe it's my particular nose?) but marvelously opaque Mundo de Unas Gold and Holland Blue. There's no way I could have done that blue-over-purple part with Konad. I had some growing pains with the stamping: my squishy stamper wasn't picking up the polish (it has been buffed, and been used plenty with Konad & Zoya colours, but every polish behaves differently with it), but my Konad two-ended stamper did well; I had a tendency to push too hard, causing smearing when I stamped. It's a very nice sharp line when I don't mess up! I topped the mani with Gelish Top It Off to tone down the aroma. It helps. Of course with my new Mundo polishes I'm feeling a bit inspired, so it might not last as long as it now could...

Gold rt.jpgGold lt.jpg

This was all with two patterns on Pueen 56.

BTW, I saw an 80-something woman today with long polished black nails. She looked great; I hope I'm that put-together when I get there!! Good for her!

I skipped a few, which I'll get back to. @@lochnessie, do you have a bigger pic of Inspiration #21? I'd love to see the detail!

@@Monika1 - sure do! Here you go:

IMG_20140715_220548.jpg

I used Mentality Sunny as a base and used saran wrap to apply Mentality Red, Blue, and Yellow. I added some sort of scattered holo topper, too - I think it was Nicole by OPI Imagine If.

Things have been absolutely nuts for me over the past few months, so I haven't been able to participate in the challenge - but I'm loving the manis you all have done!

@@Monika1 - sure do! Here you go:

IMG_20140715_220548.jpg

I used Mentality Sunny as a base and used saran wrap to apply Mentality Red, Blue, and Yellow. I added some sort of scattered holo topper, too - I think it was Nicole by OPI Imagine If.

Things have been absolutely nuts for me over the past few months, so I haven't been able to participate in the challenge - but I'm loving the manis you all have done!
@@lochnessie, thanks so much for posting! It's nice to see it a bit bigger, and to hear how you did it. It's a very pretty and striking mani! It seems as if a lot of people have gotten busy with other things, and now we've stalled a bit on this. But the good thing is that this thread will still be here if at some point you are a bit less busy, and then you could still post responses, if you're interested in doing a few.

bellatrix42 and I haven't even really worried about posting set five now that there hasn't been much action here. I kind of feel like for the sake of completeness, I'd like to do it, but honestly I don't want to post six of my manis as the inspirations! It's more fun to do manis based on others' ideas.

Response #21

Here is my interpretation of @@lochnessie's pretty and soft saran pastel mani. I enjoyed doing it because it is a simple technique (though it may need a bit of choice and placement of colour, plus some waiting between layers if you don't want to pick up and rough up the previously added polish, :) and of course it may need a bit more clean-up than some strategies). All you need is saran wrap, or, as I actually used, the bubble side of little bubble wrap. I was impatient and did 'rough' it up a bit by not waiting between colours (and I used a textured PixieDust), but that was interesting too, so I took a pic pre-top coat as well.
Saran response rough rt.jpgSaran response topped rt4.jpg

Thanks for the Inspiration; it'll be a fun one to do again soon!

Response #22

Though the Inspiration is a pedicure, I decided to create a rose mani as my response. I like doing this kind of rose as it's fairly simple to do: use the brush from the polish to drop/dab on a bit of polish from at least two different colours, basically on top of each other (I used three this time - Blue Skies, Jenna Hipp Fashionably Late, and LynBDesigns Defender of the Downtrodden), and then use a tiny dotting tool or brush to swirl them together, but not too much. Rose done! I left it alone and then later added some leaves (green blobs?) with Nubar Kiwi and Conserve. My favourite leaf is the one I did first and and then added the extra rose on top: on my right thumb, middle image. The base is Sally Hansen CSM Gray By Gray. At a distance this colour palette is so similar that my nails still just look blue.
Gray Roses rt4 - close-up.jpg

Gray Rose with leaves rt1.jpgGray rose & leaves lt1.jpg

Back