33 Days of Decluttering - November/December 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For your old cellphones, please consider calling your local domestic violence agency. Even without a data plan all cellphones are still able to make 911 calls. DV agencies hand these phones out to their clients, including child clients, who may not be able to afford a phone but need one for safety planning reasons. Even if the agency has more phones than they can hand out, they are able to send them in to a non-profit that does the recycling and send the agency a check for the phones sent in. 
Thanks for the info! I will call a few agencies/shelters tomorrow.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'd like to join too.  Not sure if I will get 3 items everyday but I will try

Sunday:

Blue liquid eyeliner from Ipsy - trash I don't wear blue eyeliner but I swatched it on my arm so I can't give it away.

FCS whipped cream from Fall Box - empty

Pair of jeans that are too big - online consignment

Today:

Too Faced BB mini  - trash / used up

Nicole Ritchie Perfume sample - giveaway

Marc Jacobs Blush - return to Sephora (I bought it last month and wore it a few times.  I tried to make it work but takes so much to get any pigment and then it fades to a pale pink very quickly.

Oh, I need to jump on this too. We recently moved into a new house and have boxes everywhere!! I moved into my fiancées house before we married and we still have stuff from my condo in boxes and stuff from his house still in boxes. I can't even walk into the spare bedroom that is supposed to be my office. And now that we have renters in his house I can finally concentrate on OUR house!!

Since it's late tonight I will start with my four things tomorrow.

Day 2:

1. Clear pouch with zipper - I got this in a Popsugar box and I just don't have a use for it. It's in the donate box that we keep in the garage.
  2. Some old magazines - trash.
  3. A lip balm and a lip gloss - I didn't like either one and I'm not sure why I keep using them. I have plenty in my stash without using stuff I don't like. Into the trash they go.

I'm in! Day 1 for me.

I have things that can go in lots of categories, but I'll start with these makeup items:

1. Nicka K Shimmer Eyeliner in Blue -- It's pretty and I can appreciate it for what it is, but if I'm honest with myself, I'll never wear it. And never have once since I got it from Ipsy.

2. Some kind of Lorac lip product -- This is old as the hills, maybe the oldest lip product in my collection and on top of everything else, it broke off in its original tube, and I had to depot it into another container. And I never, ever wear it because it is completely sheer on the lips, and looks like nothing. Talk about hoarding! But I'm glad to let it go now.

3. Cover Girl True Conceal -- This really settles into lines, and the color changes over the course of the day. I've tried many times to make this work, and it just doesn't. I never reach for this.

4. Sation Nail Laquer in Of Corset I'll Call You -- I didn't care for this because it is extremely sheer, even after 3 coats. 

I feel a tad lighter already!

In years past I didn't do a very good job of purging the old things I no longer need.  Even though I dropped off some clothes and cosmetics last week - this gives me some motivation to purge & donate some more!

Last edited by a moderator:
So here are my 4 for day one:

(1) Fortune Cookie Soap OCD hand sanitizer from the winter box-I don't go through them fast enough so this one will go as an extra for my Secret Santa

(2) Bic razor-I get lazy and don't change my razors enough and end up getting all nicked up, since I don't remember when I started using my current razor, into the trash it goes and I'll replace it with a new one from my stash

(3) Pair of socks-I went to put on a pair of socks this morning and the elastic at the top was all stretched out, so into the trash they went (I have been working on decluttering all my socks anyway, I'm taking a pair from one drawer and if they're still in good shape I wear them that day, then wash them & put them in a different drawer, so far I've gotten rid of quite a few old pairs and I've only got a handful of pairs left to go through)

(4) One empty tea box and one empty medicine bottle-I had 2 boxes of green tea opened and 2 bottles of the same meds open, so I combined the opened stuff and threw out the empties (also threw out an empty toothpaste tube that my hubby left on the bathroom counter, I tried to use it this morning & nothing came out)

Here's day 2. I'm so into this that I actually bounded out of bed this morning to find stuff to throw out! Who knew getting rid of stuff was as addictive as acquiring it?

1 & 2: Two blouses. One was wholly unflattering, and one had a giant grease stain on it. I tried several times to get it out to no avail.

3: An old cross body purse that I only used for travel because it was small. But I hate it and it's fugly.

I am so excited about this decluttering plan.

I felt so accomplished today:

1. Starlooks Eyeshadow palette - brand new that I never even opened -> gifted to a friend

2. Model Co mascara - brand new that I never even opened -> gifted to a friend

3. Birkenstock boots - bought them from hautelook but didn't quite like them (they are a weird shape), but did not want to return because of the shipping cost. Finally decided that I will most likely not wear them, so it is best to pay for shipping and get the majority of the cost back, lesson learned. Won't buy from Hautelook again since I don't have a Nordstrom Rack nearby for returns -> returned

4. Packing materials and papers floating around -> recycled

I'm joining, too!  I just feel like tossing out 100 things in 33 days might be a bit too fast for me as I have gotten rid of so much stuff already. 

While I will be throwing things out, I will also use these 33 days to use up as much products as possible in order to hit pan or even finish them. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

For now, I'll be donating 4 items for my Day 1, but I'll also be scavenging around my place to toss.

[SIZE=10.5pt]Day 3:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I think [/SIZE]I'm[SIZE=10.5pt] going to take a different approach with this de-cluttering journey. Going forward [/SIZE]I'm[SIZE=10.5pt] going to start de-cluttering one section of my home at a time (closet, dresser, office, ect.) Tonight I've finished de-cluttering the clothes [/SIZE]in my dresser AND [SIZE=10.5pt]in my closet. It's taken me a few days to go through everything and I'm so happy to be finally be done![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Fleece Jacket[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Sweaters x 5[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Tees x 6[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Shirts x 12[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Blouses x 10[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Jeans x 2[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Yoga Pants x 3[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Capris x 2[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]PJ pants x 2[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Lounge/Sweat Pants x 4[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Dress Pants x 2[/SIZE]

Scarfs x 3

[SIZE=10.5pt]That equals 52 pieces of clothing, all [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]of which will be donated. [/SIZE] B)

I've decided to join, too. I'm a little behind, but I'll try to do 4 or 5 items every day to catch up.

I tossed 4 items today -

1. Tarte maracuja oil - I've had this bottle for a few years. There's only a little bit left, but it's starting to change consistency and get gross.

2. Elf shimmer palette - I used it for a while, and then decided I didn't really like it. It's so cheap that I don't think it's worth giving away.

3. Josie Maran argan oil - this was an empty bottle that I was saving in case I wanted to repurpose it, but I probably won't, and it's just taking up space.

4. Stila wheat eyeshadow - I received this in a swap, and it's really old and smells a little funny.

Here is my day 2 list:

(1) Since I finally got my google calendar working on my phone, I put some appointments in and threw out the reminder cards-2 cards

(2) Another pair of socks in the trash

(3) I threw out the FCS Hydrate Me from the winter box-I used it once and it made my legs itch, I was going to give it another shot but the more I thought about the less I wanted to risk a worse reaction so I just tossed it

Latest posts

Back