$5 Bargains!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok ,so I'm down to my last $$ for make up/hair care products(sad isn't it?) I thought it would be helpful (for me and you!) to post your $5 and under best beauty bargains,where to get them, and why you get them.

MINE:

Bon bons eyeshadow powder, $.88, Walmart -Super Shimmery and pigmented

NYX triple eyeshadows, get mine for $4.99 at Longs -Fun colors and pigmented

Avon Lip Balm in Vanilla Natural $.99, get from an Avon rep. -SUPER soft lips and smells so yummy!

Wet n' Wild liquid Eyeliner $3 at most drugstores, -super black and STAYS ON

Sally Hansen Nail Prisms- $4.99 at my Walgreens, -so pretty and always gets attention/compliments from others.

Prestige Eyeliner with smudger about $5, Thee best of the best.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Johnson and Johnson soft lotion- I love the *baby* smell of this.

Now post yours!
wink.gif

Hm, I have a lot of things that are $6-$10, but here are a few that I know are under $5:

Milani Eyeshadows - $3.50 at CVS. The best drugstore powder eyeshadows I've tried! Great pigmentation in all the colors I've tried, except for Silver Bullet which I was rather disappointed in.

Maybelline Lash Expansion Mascara - under $5 at Wal-Mart. Lengthens and slightly thickens, without getting clumpy. Comes in waterproof and regular. My favorite mascara!

Maybelline Great Wear Eyeliner - I *think* these are under $5 at Wal-Mart. They claim to be waterproof, and they last all day for me as long as I put some loose powder on my lids under the eyeliner.

Maybelline Wet Slicks Nail Polish - under $5 at most drugstores and Wal-Mart. I wore "Pink Champaigne" to my wedding and my bridesmaids complimented me more on my nails than my dress!

shiso, do those Bon Bons eyeshadows last all day? $.88 is a great way for me to experiment with new colors I'm not sure I will like! (I hate paying a lot of money for a product I later decide I don't like!)

Originally Posted by girl_geek shiso, do those Bon Bons eyeshadows last all day? $.88 is a great way for me to experiment with new colors I'm not sure I will like! (I hate paying a lot of money for a product I later decide I don't like!)

To be truthful I haven't tried there for a daytime look, the ones I have are *super* shimmery, so I'm not sure how long they'll last.

• Jordana Clear l/g--better than MAC Lipglass, only $1.99 & smells like vanilla!
    smile.gif
  • Jordana Easybrow--$3 & creates a soft brow for a pencil.
    wink.gif
  • WnW Coverall Stick--fabulous for spot coverage & hiding undereye circles; $1.99
  • NYC Brow Kit--$3.99 & is a pretty good replica of Benefit's Brow-Zings
  • J&J Baby Wash--lathers well & cleans effectively w/out drying out skin; $3.99
  • Aussie 3-Minute Miracle--$4.99 & does a wonderful job of softening hair.
    smile.gif
I get all of these products @ Longs Drugs, but don't know if Jordana's readily available throughout the nation. WnW, NYC, J&J & Aussie are available @ virtually every drugstore.

Here are some of mine!

-Palliado (I think that's how you spell it) eye liners - 2.99 at Ulta, super soft kohl pencils that apply very smoothly. I use these more than my higher end liners!

-Simply Basics Body Butter in Warm Vanilla Sugar - Walmarts knock off of BBW Warm Vanilla Sugar, the scent is a perfect match for only $3-4.

-Maybelline Full and Soft mascara

Hmmm, ok--gotta think here!
icon_biggrin.gif

The famous Wet & Wild lip liner, #666 (although I think they actually have a normal name for this shade now). Costs $1.00, sold everywhere. I've been using this for like, 10 years. It's great b/c it's a perfect universally flattering neutral shade. Goes on smoothly and lasts. Plus it's so long, you really get a lot for your money!

Carmex Lip Ointment. I don't recall how much it costs at the moment, but it's cheap, like a couple of bucks, and is available everywhere. It seems to have magical healing and soothing powers. I can have one of those nasty split lip thingies and it literally heals it overnight. Smells very nostalgic to me too which adds to the appeal. One of my desert island products!

Rimmel Lipstick in Coffee Shimmer. Again I don't have the exact price but it's like $4.00. Available at major retailers ie. Wal-Mart, Target. A wonderful lipstick, one of my newest must-haves! See my review here!

White Rain Nourishing Mousse-Extra Body. This was $1.29, I remember b/c I bought it pretty recently. You can find this anywhere, supermarkets and major retailers. I love this because it addresses 2 of my main problems, dry, dehydrated hair that is also fine and needs oomph. I also reviewed this one!

Proclaim Natural 7 Oil I get this for about $3.00 at Sally Beauty Supply. It's been one of my staples for years, because I can use it for so many different things. The blend of 7 different oils and a bunch of herbs works great for dry skin, hair, scalp, cuticles...mix it with sugar or salt for a body scrub, use it as a base oil for essential oils/aromatherapy, put it in a hot bath. It's wonderfully moisturizing! I love that it's natural. It comes in a big 8-oz bottle which is great. You'll usually find this in the ethnic skin/hair care section.

Avon Lip Balms. I gotta agree with you shiso, you can't beat these .99 cent lip balms! They have so many different ones, and seasonal specials with yummy flavors to match whatever holiday they're promoting.

my faves are:

jane clear mascara: i use it as a brow fixative.

jane blush: blushing glow is my HG blush. its the only product ive ever used up. jane blushes have a ton of pigment, and imho, they rival mac blushes

rimmel eye pencils: my new discovery. theyre so cheap, are soft but not too soft, and come in a ton of colors.

CG smoothers e/l: somehow, these are my fave pencil liners. theyre as smooth as a mac kohl. they sometimes come in screaming fun colors like neon blue and green. (those two are d/c and are my absolute faves.

wet n wild blush sticks: one of the colors looks exactly like mars multiple in south beach. i have every color they make. theyre not greasy, are really pigmented, and they last forever.

queen helene mint julep mask: the ultimate clay mask. there are mixed reviews, but i love it. it sucks the crap right out of my pores and really mattifies in the summer.

Originally Posted by keaLoha I get all of these products @ Longs Drugs, but don't know if Jordana's readily available throughout the nation. WnW, NYC, J&J & Aussie are available @ virtually every drugstore. jordana is really hard to find in my area. only one walgreens carries it, and they only have the lip and eye pencils.

Originally Posted by girl_geek shiso, do those Bon Bons eyeshadows last all day? $.88 is a great way for me to experiment with new colors I'm not sure I will like! (I hate paying a lot of money for a product I later decide I don't like!) i got one in a swap once, and i was all excited because i thought it would be fun. AFAIK, theyre only available at wal mart, right? (i dont shop at wal mart.) it performed about as well as a matte mac pigment. i had to pack several layers on, applied wet, and it got cakey and just didnt show. as a light wash, it had no pigment at all. it was the shimmery baby blue color. for under a dollar, you might as well try them out to see how you fare.

$5 really doesn't go so far in the UK, in fact you won't get much from a drugstore brand for $5 over here. I'll have a look whilst I'm out though.

I LOVE the Avon Moisture Therapy Lip Balm with SPF 15. Plus, I wait until they're on sale and buy a bunch of them up for only 69 cents each!!!
icon_eek.gif

If I use inexpensive mu or skincare items, they are staples! That means, super awesome shiznit.
icon_lol.gif
So here's my list...

1. Avon Moisture Therapy Lip Balm with SPF 15- ALWAYS on my lips. ALWAYS. Won't have to worry too much about early signs on aging on my lips due to sun damage! $.69 when on sale/$.99 regular

2. Avon Ultra Luxury Browliner in light golden brown. It's the perfect color for me and so easy to use. $1.99 when on sale/$5 regular

3. L'Oreal Pure Zone Spot Check. Great for keeping pimples away, as well as treating existing ones. Has max OTC salicylic acid (2%). About $5 on sale.

4. Almay Non-Oily pads eye mu remover. $5

5. Za Waterproof mascara in black (about $5)

6. ZA Cutie Curl Volume Mascara (about $5)

I got all these things at Longs and from my Avon rep. I'll start another list after I dig though my stuff.

All my nail polish is from the drug store, so that's less than $5. No way in hell I'm buying nail polish from like Chanel or Dior or something.

This is my first post!

* NYC coverstick in medium, it's not as dark as it sounds, but it is a great coverup - the perfect texture (not too liquid/dry/gritty) and color is very good. $2.50CDN

* NYC lipstick in a fuschia/red no 359A i think, it's a great out-there color and very moisturizing. $1.60CDN

* Jane Blush - those pink/coral blushes are the perfect color $4.50CDN

* CG clear brow/mascara - as an eyebrow fixative $3.50CDN

* Prestige e/s - matte & pigmented, the velvet purple is my favourite $4.50CDN

* J&J baby shampoo - gentle and works well for my long hair $3.50CDN

* Aveeno trial size moisturizing lotion - my favourite moisturizer for lips, hands, etc. $2CDN

Originally Posted by grapefruity This is my first post! & Welcome to MuT grapefruity! Glad you're here & decided to post. I'm sure you'll have fun here & I'm looking forward to more of your posts.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by wongy74 5. Za Waterproof mascara in black (about $5)
6. ZA Cutie Curl Volume Mascara (about $5)

I got all these things at Longs and from my Avon rep. I'll start another list after I dig though my stuff.

Wongy74 what brand is ZA? I don't think I've heard of it...
confused.gif

icon_cheesygrin.gif
Welcome grapefruity! I just joined a few days ago and it's been a fun experience.

Here's their website. http://www.za-ny.com/

Interestingly enough, it seems to be only in Asian regions and Hawaii, according to their regional info section. Claire Danes used to be their spokesperson.

Originally Posted by shiso Wongy74 what brand is ZA? I don't think I've heard of it...
confused.gif

icon_cheesygrin.gif
Welcome grapefruity! I just joined a few days ago and it's been a fun experience.

Originally Posted by wongy74 Here's their website. http://www.za-ny.com/Interestingly enough, it seems to be only in Asian regions and Hawaii, according to their regional info section. Claire Danes used to be their spokesperson.

Darn! Oh well, just means I must find and stock up on the next trip to Hawaii
icon_cheesygrin.gif

It's at Longs Drugs, which is, like, everywhere, so you'll have no problem finding it.

Originally Posted by shiso Darn! Oh well, just means I must find and stock up on the next trip to Hawaii
icon_cheesygrin.gif

thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

this is a great place! lots of good reviews here (read: lemming)
smile.gif

Originally Posted by grapefruity This is my first post!
* NYC coverstick in medium, it's not as dark as it sounds, but it is a great coverup - the perfect texture (not too liquid/dry/gritty) and color is very good. $2.50CDN

* NYC lipstick in a fuschia/red no 359A i think, it's a great out-there color and very moisturizing. $1.60CDN

* Jane Blush - those pink/coral blushes are the perfect color $4.50CDN

* CG clear brow/mascara - as an eyebrow fixative $3.50CDN

* Prestige e/s - matte & pigmented, the velvet purple is my favourite $4.50CDN

* J&J baby shampoo - gentle and works well for my long hair $3.50CDN

* Aveeno trial size moisturizing lotion - my favourite moisturizer for lips, hands, etc. $2CDN

'hi grapefruity! welcome.
smile.gif
you have a cute name. lol.

Latest posts

Back