A terrible experience

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I dont want to be a drag, but something has been bothering me since my lunch hour today and I dont have anyone to tell about it except you guys.

I went to get some supplies for PJ and Leah (my pugs) during my lunch hour. It was a pet store that I'd never visited before. When I walked to the back, I found that they sold pets as well as everything else. I know this is common but I stopped visiting stores that sold pets a long time ago because I think it is so cruel for the poor animals. Anyway, the very first dog I saw was this adorable little pug and he stole my heart. I looked further and of course there were many dogs and cats in those tiny cages with no toys and nothing to lay on but a small rubber mat that did not cover even a third of the cage.

All I could think of was that this was the life that a lot of them would lead for a long time. There's no one to show them real love and hold them or anything..... just an occassional shopper or potential buyer that will take them out of the cage and play w/them for a few minutes. I started crying right there in the store when I thought about all of that. I know people must have thought I was crazy.

What happens to these poor animals if no one ever buys them? Its such an awful thought. I finally just left the store and I didnt buy anything at all. I know that I probably seem really wimpy for the way that I acted, but I am just such an animal lover and I hate to think that a lot of those sweet babies will never know real love or lead the type of life they were meant to lead.

Anyway, thanks for letting me get this off of my chest. This is exactly the reason why I NEVER intentionally visit this type of pet stores. I am considering joining some type of organization (maybe PETA) that supports and works toward the better treatment of animals. I feel like I have to do something to help because I just cant get those poor animals from today out of my mind. It really tore me up inside.

ok, I promise I wont make a post like this again... this is supposed to be a happy place!!
biggrin.gif

In the pet stores near me, they usually keep the puppies together. So they get to play with each other. More often than not, though, when I see them, they are sleeping.

A lot of stores near me keep them together also... but its still sad to see them when they are alone in cages. I feel bad for them... I would adopt them all if I could... hopefully they will get adopted soon.
redface.gif

I know what you mean....I can't go to that kind of pet stores at all because I hate to see all the poor puppies etc waiting for someone to buy them. I was shocked to see that you can sell all kinds of animals like that at the pet stores here in the US. In Finland (where I'm from) you can only sell "little" animals that truly will live survive/live in a cage like bunnies, rats, birds. You can only buy dogs and cats from breeders or someone privately not from the pet stores. I'm not even an animal activist, I mean I don't really pay attention that much but it doesn't mean I don't care. At our house a dog is a family member and therefore belongs in the house not outside and I wouldn't have it any other way. I can't imagine those poor dogs at the pet stores who will never know what it's like to live in a family and be part of the pack. Lately I've thought of the poor treatment of animals that are slaughtered every day...The document endorsed by Pamela Anderson was horrifying. I can't believe the stuff they do to the chickens. I'm reading a book called "The dark side of all American meal" and it talks about the slaughter houses and everything that evolves the fast food industry. It's really bad. I'm glad our family has been eating all organic foods the past several years and we continue to due so besides the times when we eat out occasionally. I'll really think twice about eating fast food after this book.

The pet stores in Copenhagen were the same like the ones in Finland back when I lived in Denmark (19 years ago almost
icon_eek.gif
) My daugther loves going to the pet stores so I take her to a certain one. Many people visit that store all the time and play with the animals.

Originally Posted by Reija(admin) I know what you mean....I can't go to that kind of pet stores at all because I hate to see all the poor puppies etc waiting for someone to buy them. I was shocked to see that you can sell all kinds of animals like that at the pet stores here in the US. In Finland (where I'm from) you can only sell "little" animals that truly will live survive/live in a cage like bunnies, rats, birds. You can only buy dogs and cats from breeders or someone privately not from the pet stores. I'm not even an animal activist, I mean I don't really pay attention that much but it doesn't mean I don't care. At our house a dog is a family member and therefore belongs in the house not outside and I wouldn't have it any other way. I can't imagine those poor dogs at the pet stores who will never know what it's like to live in a family and be part of the pack. Lately I've thought of the poor treatment of animals that are slaughtered every day...The document endorsed by Pamela Anderson was horrifying. I can't believe the stuff they do to the chickens. I'm reading a book called "The dark side of all American meal" and it talks about the slaughter houses and everything that evolves the fast food industry. It's really bad. I'm glad our family has been eating all organic foods the past several years and we continue to due so besides the times when we eat out occasionally. I'll really think twice about eating fast food after this book.

Wow! That's not a bad idea... eating only organic foods. And as for the way pets are sold in Finland, that is a lot more humane that what we do here in the U.S. We really miss the mark in so many areas. Not dogging the US - I love this country, but we've got a lot to learn.
icon_sad.gif

My dad is totally not a pet person. He has problems w/the fact that my 2 dogs live inside of the house. Can you imagine pugs being yard dogs?! There is no way!! I agree w/what you said... a pet is a part of the family.

Originally Posted by Reija(admin) I know what you mean....I can't go to that kind of pet stores at all because I hate to see all the poor puppies etc waiting for someone to buy them. I was shocked to see that you can sell all kinds of animals like that at the pet stores here in the US. In Finland (where I'm from) you can only sell "little" animals that truly will live survive/live in a cage like bunnies, rats, birds. You can only buy dogs and cats from breeders or someone privately not from the pet stores. I'm not even an animal activist, I mean I don't really pay attention that much but it doesn't mean I don't care. At our house a dog is a family member and therefore belongs in the house not outside and I wouldn't have it any other way. I can't imagine those poor dogs at the pet stores who will never know what it's like to live in a family and be part of the pack. Lately I've thought of the poor treatment of animals that are slaughtered every day...The document endorsed by Pamela Anderson was horrifying. I can't believe the stuff they do to the chickens. I'm reading a book called "The dark side of all American meal" and it talks about the slaughter houses and everything that evolves the fast food industry. It's really bad. I'm glad our family has been eating all organic foods the past several years and we continue to due so besides the times when we eat out occasionally. I'll really think twice about eating fast food after this book.

i'm sorry you're so upset, tracey
icon_cry.gif

i hope no one looks at me differently after this or thinks i'm a bad person, but i'm not a pet person at all. i don't see how anyone can get attached to an animal, a living thing that can't talk. i had a puppy when i was about 3-4 and when my dad "gave it away" (i later found out what really happened), i didn't care. i know i was young, but i didn't really feel a loss, and neither did the rest of my family.

in kosovo, where my family's from, my relatives use their dogs as guard dogs at night because a lot of people get into your property and steal your animals (mostly cows). what they do is starve the dogs while they're tied up, so that at night when they're loose, their more dangerous, which i always thought was wrong and when my relatives wouldn't look, i'd go bring milk to them and they'd drink AT LEAST 8 bowls consecutively - until i'd get caught and get in trouble
icon_sad.gif

Ohhh Jennifer, no one will think ill of you for your feelings. I'm a huge pet lover and I still think you're wonderful!! I totally accept the fact that everyone is different and may be on opposite ends of the scale re things they feel strongly about. (I really should not have made that post anyway - too sad).

Considering the experience that you mentioned in Kosovo, I can see how/why you may be a bit detached from animals. Nonetheless, thank you for responding and sharing your experience w/me.

Now as for me... HAPPY THOUGHTS, HAPPY THOUGHTS, HAPPY THOUGHTS!!
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Jennifer i'm sorry you're so upset, tracey
icon_cry.gif

i hope no one looks at me differently after this or thinks i'm a bad person, but i'm not a pet person at all. i don't see how anyone can get attached to an animal, a living thing that can't talk. i had a puppy when i was about 3-4 and when my dad "gave it away" (i later found out what really happened), i didn't care. i know i was young, but i didn't really feel a loss, and neither did the rest of my family.

in kosovo, where my family's from, my relatives use their dogs as guard dogs at night because a lot of people get into your property and steal your animals (mostly cows). what they do is starve the dogs while they're tied up, so that at night when they're loose, their more dangerous, which i always thought was wrong and when my relatives wouldn't look, i'd go bring milk to them and they'd drink AT LEAST 8 bowls consecutively - until i'd get caught and get in trouble
icon_sad.gif

I don't think that you are a wimo for crying in the store or for feeling that way. I am not a pet owner but lots of people around me are and I know that the feelings for a pet are pure love. I think that is why some people take it hard when their pet dies because the only emotions that they ever felt toward their pet was love.

Hopefully, you wont experience that anytime soon.

I'm an animal lover too. I go into pet shops just to look at the dogs and cats and always find myself wishing I could scoop them all up and take them home. I had a dog when I was a child and he lived 13 years. I had two dogs with my ex-husband. Now, I don't have any dogs or cats but we have 5 assorted birds. I should have my head examined.

I hate mistreatment of animals and I always read from time to time that pet shops don't have the best care and maintenance for them.

I see plenty of dogs and cats that behave a lot better than some humans I know (and work with) too.

thanks for understanding, everyone.

i want a dog when i'm older and live alone (or when i get married), a small dog, so maybe i'll be kicking myself later about how wrong i was about animals
frown.gif

Hi Nerver2muchMU,

I an totally identify with what you are talking about and can understand why you feel upset and worried for those animals.I am an animal lover myslef and i recently joined Advocates for Animal's. I am at the moment trying to get registered as an animal activist against some animal testing labs here in the UK. I think it is disgusting the way some animal's are treated and it tugs at my heartstrings and conscience.Maybe you could write an anonymous letter to the shop where you saw the animals and stress your concerns's (no proper bedding etc) If it wasn't for people like yourself who have a heart and a conscience then i would hate to think of what the world would be like.Don't be ashamed for having a conscience.

Yeah, I hate those pet stores...its very sad to see those dogs and cats, I wanna buy them all

Originally Posted by Never2muchMU

I dont want to be a drag, but something has been bothering me since my lunch hour today and I dont have anyone to tell about it except you guys.
I went to get some supplies for PJ and Leah (my pugs) during my lunch hour. It was a pet store that I'd never visited before. When I walked to the back, I found that they sold pets as well as everything else. I know this is common but I stopped visiting stores that sold pets a long time ago because I think it is so cruel for the poor animals. Anyway, the very first dog I saw was this adorable little pug and he stole my heart. I looked further and of course there were many dogs and cats in those tiny cages with no toys and nothing to lay on but a small rubber mat that did not cover even a third of the cage.

All I could think of was that this was the life that a lot of them would lead for a long time. There's no one to show them real love and hold them or anything..... just an occassional shopper or potential buyer that will take them out of the cage and play w/them for a few minutes. I started crying right there in the store when I thought about all of that. I know people must have thought I was crazy.

What happens to these poor animals if no one ever buys them? Its such an awful thought. I finally just left the store and I didnt buy anything at all. I know that I probably seem really wimpy for the way that I acted, but I am just such an animal lover and I hate to think that a lot of those sweet babies will never know real love or lead the type of life they were meant to lead.

Anyway, thanks for letting me get this off of my chest. This is exactly the reason why I NEVER intentionally visit this type of pet stores. I am considering joining some type of organization (maybe PETA) that supports and works toward the better treatment of animals. I feel like I have to do something to help because I just cant get those poor animals from today out of my mind. It really tore me up inside.

ok, I promise I wont make a post like this again... this is supposed to be a happy place!!
biggrin.gif

Aw, Tracey, I probably would have cried too. I don't shop in stores like that either.

Your 2 lil pugs have got it made, huh?
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 A lot of stores near me keep them together also... but its still sad to see them when they are alone in cages. I feel bad for them... I would adopt them all if I could... hopefully they will get adopted soon.
redface.gif
Don't get any ideas, my sweetie !!!
wink.gif

Hi, i was on a lunch break one day and popped into a pet store for some treats for my cats. This was back in 88. Anyhow, i saw kittens in a rabbit hutch for sale and in the crate above them were canaries. I had to protest and say something as it is against nature for birds and cats to be in such close proximity. I wasnt ranting or anything but they asked me to leave the store. The next min, a bunch of ladies started to gang up on the owner in protest and they never sold live animals again.

Its called People power and animals cant say how they feel so these ladies said it on their behalf.

Unfortunately its sad to say that this poor treatment of animals is not only limited to cats and dogs. I own parrots and I've been in bird pet shops where birds are all fed seeds and in cramped cages. Now not many people may know this but feeding your bird seeds as a regular diet is the equivalent of making your child live on potato chips. Its junk food and to be used as a treat only. There is a type of pellet food for birds that is organic and so safe that even humans could eat it. Made with all natural vitamins and minerals. If you're ever in a pet shop that sells birds, take a look at their eyes, feathers and if they're all puffed up in themselves. A lot of places sell sick birds and they aren't taking care of them properly. They need sunlight (indirect) - no drafts - and a good diet.

If you lived on strictly junk food and nothing else, imagine what your skin and hair would look like. It's the same thing with birds.

Am, if i had my way (excuse my accent here but im in Birmingham UK and talk as i am)

If i had my way, nobody would treat animals as if they were lower than humans. I have seen dog owners feed their dogs the same sort of diets as they eat themselves which in itself is a tragedy. As for birds, i dont think that birds should be in cages in the first place apart from the rare breeds who are hatched and raised in them and who have plenty of room to flutter about in.

Sunflower seeds are great for both birds and humans. I often snack on them as do the local sparrows, robins,swans, greebs , ducks et al. As for the chavs and dorks, well god knows what they are fed on round here ?

Feeding bird on one type of fodder alone is equivalent to eating the same thing all day every day and that cant be good.

We don't think enought about that... what a shame!

You're right Pauline. I saw a report about animals who are abandoned in the summer, and laboratories or bad people have them after. It's really disgusting. If I was rich, I think I would adopt all and create a decent kennel, and so create vacations for peoplle who need them. But I'm not rich, and I'm unemployed too...

When I know what products are tested on animals, I stop buying them and tell all my friends and people in the shop that these products are bad, and I explain why. (I'm good to break a product
wink.gif
)

But what can I do? Can I do more than that? I love animals and I can imagine doing something bad on an animals, especially when I see my little nice dog sleeping on her back at the feet of my bed!
smile.gif

You're avatar has another signification now Pauline, as if it was the angel of a laboratory dog... so sad.

Sorry
smile.gif

Big kiss and hugs my dear

Latest posts

Back