Advertising and Women's Bodies: Take a Look

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was doing some online research and happened upon these ads. My favorite ad (at least to laugh at) is the one for Candies where the girl is sitting on the monitor. Cough. I thought some of you might enjoy viewing this interesting site:

Say What?

Tired of advertisers peddling flesh and not product? Now's your chance to sound off to advertisers about the negative, dangerous messages they send to women and girls. Send an email to [email protected] to nominate an advertisement for posting on this page.

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>
gucci.jpg
</TD><TD>
whiskey.jpg
</TD><TD>
longchamp.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD>Gucci: This ad attempts to

demonstrate a woman's "place"

in the world—at a man's feet—

right below his...uh... Just don't

stand up too fast, sister! </TD><TD>Maker's Mark: What is it

about selling alcohol that

makes advertisers want to

belittle and insult women...

does it really make men

feel more powerful? Don't

answer that. </TD><TD>Longchamp: This is an ad for

luggage, right? And the nearly

naked, bronzed woman is there

because...? When creativity

fails, insert sex. </TD></TR><TR><TD>
dior.jpg
</TD><TD>
winston.jpg
</TD><TD>
candies.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD>Dior: The text reads, "New!

Dior Addict Lipstick to Die

For...in 30 killer shades...

Get hooked. Now." Dior proudly

uses the themes of addiction

and death to sell lipstick, under

the impession that the tactic is

edgy and original. Not. </TD><TD>Winston: Winston tries to

convince young women how

tough and cool they can be

by smoking while waiting for

a man. Hope he arrives soon

...before lung cancer sets in.</TD><TD>Candies: This is too easy.

Is that a space shuttle on

your computer, or are you

just happy to see me? This

ad is so obvious in its

"subliminal" message, it's sad.</B></TD></TR><TR><TD>
calvin.jpg
</TD><TD>
polo.jpg
</TD><TD>
misty.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD>Calvin Klein: Good ol' Calvin

— always leading the way

with images of nearly naked,

pre-pubescent-looking women

and girls.</B></TD><TD>Ralph Lauren Polo: Not to

be outdone, Ralph offers

that perfect look to wear

while scratching your back

on a tree while waiting for,

um...the stableboy?</TD><TD>Brown & Williamson: Brown

& Williamson appears to be

marketing cigarettes to pre-

teen girls with this ad that

practically makes smoking

look wholesome. Really not.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><CENTER>
lovebody.gif

LOVE YOUR BODY DAY

Source

</CENTER>

Originally Posted by Californian Hi all,I was doing some online research and happened upon these ads. My favorite ad (at least to laugh at) is the one for Candies where the girl is sitting on the monitor. Cough. I thought some of you might enjoy viewing this interesting site:

Say What?

Tired of advertisers peddling flesh and not product? Now's your chance to sound off to advertisers about the negative, dangerous messages they send to women and girls. Send an email to [email protected] to nominate an advertisement for posting on this page.

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>
gucci.jpg
</TD><TD>
whiskey.jpg
</TD><TD>
longchamp.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD>Gucci: This ad attempts to

demonstrate a woman's "place"

in the world—at a man's feet—

right below his...uh... Just don't

stand up too fast, sister!

</TD><TD>Maker's Mark: What is it

about selling alcohol that

makes advertisers want to

belittle and insult women...

does it really make men

feel more powerful? Don't

answer that.

</TD><TD>Longchamp: This is an ad for

luggage, right? And the nearly

naked, bronzed woman is there

because...? When creativity

fails, insert sex.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>
dior.jpg
</TD><TD>
winston.jpg
</TD><TD>
candies.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD>Dior: The text reads, "New!

Dior Addict Lipstick to Die

For...in 30 killer shades...

Get hooked. Now." Dior proudly

uses the themes of addiction

and death to sell lipstick, under

the impession that the tactic is

edgy and original. Not.

</TD><TD>Winston: Winston tries to

convince young women how

tough and cool they can be

by smoking while waiting for

a man. Hope he arrives soon

...before lung cancer sets in.

</TD><TD>Candies: This is too easy.

Is that a space shuttle on

your computer, or are you

just happy to see me? This

ad is so obvious in its

"subliminal" message, it's sad.</B>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>
calvin.jpg
</TD><TD>
polo.jpg
</TD><TD>
misty.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD>Calvin Klein: Good ol' Calvin

— always leading the way

with images of nearly naked,

pre-pubescent-looking women

and girls.</B>

</TD><TD>Ralph Lauren Polo: Not to

be outdone, Ralph offers

that perfect look to wear

while scratching your back

on a tree while waiting for,

um...the stableboy?

</TD><TD>Brown & Williamson: Brown

& Williamson appears to be

marketing cigarettes to pre-

teen girls with this ad that

practically makes smoking

look wholesome. Really not.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><CENTER>
lovebody.gif

LOVE YOUR BODY DAY

Source

</CENTER>

So no one, out of 100's of people, has any comments, eh? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/im/frown.gif Sure gets lonely on these here boards.

Hey Cali, must have missed this one. Question: when are women going to stop the world from exploiting them. Yes, I know this is the work of men but as stated before most of them are animals by nature (sorry tony not you). I am sick and tired of the ads, videos, shows etc that use women and thier body to make them more popular. Turn any channel and you see boobs or a$$. I use to really like a showed called Fear Factor (yes its a reality show). When the show first started they had "real/regular people" doing the stunts, tune in now and all you see are playboy bunnies and wanna be models as the contestants. I refuse to watch it anymore- the whole thing is tired. It's just a shame that these stupid women have such low esteem and dont realize that they do have brains which can allow them to do something other than looking like hookers. BTW the guy in the Candies ad is way cute LOL

Originally Posted by shoediva Hey Cali, must have missed this one. Question: when are women going to stop the world from exploiting them. Yes, I know this is the work of men but as stated before most of them are animals by nature (sorry tony not you). I am sick and tired of the ads, videos, shows etc that use women and thier body to make them more popular. Turn any channel and you see boobs or a$$. I use to really like a showed called Fear Factor (yes its a reality show). When the show first started they had "real/regular people" doing the stunts, tune in now and all you see are playboy bunnies and wanna be models as the contestants. I refuse to watch it anymore- the whole thing is tired. It's just a shame that these stupid women have such low esteem and dont realize that they do have brains which can allow them to do something other than looking like hookers.
BTW the guy in the Candies ad is way cute LOL

That guy in the Candies ad is Mark McGrath (sp?) he sings in Sugar Ray.Anyway, I think women put these ads out too and I think there are two sides of the equation. Women are just as guilty. They pose and act all stupid. LOL. They also work for advertising agencies.

But I hear ya. I am tired of it too. It bores me to TEARS! Now we clearly need to start exploiting men to make it equal. Let's see Mark McGrath naked and maybe I'll feel better.

You know what's funny, he used to be a truck driver, then he was a singer and now he is going to co-host the tv show, Extra.

levis.jpg

Yes, I had forgotten him name. He is a cutie (although not reallly my type) but hasnt been seen lately. I like to watch Extra, so I will look out for him.

I can't beleive the whiskey ad. As if enough women aren't in hospitals for anorexia, let's add a few more! It astounds me that they can print that. The only thing that will start to change this type of advertising is if people stop buying their products. Dior has gotten tons of flack for their Addict campaign when it first started with just the fragrance. Now it has branched to lipstick and nailpolish. If the products did not sell so well they would stop the campaign and find something else that works. Unfortunately all the backlash at the ads only fueled the contraversy around these products to the point that everyone had to have one. The more something is seen as taboo, the more people want it. Until we can change human nature, we won't change the ad industry. Sad to say.

Latest posts

Back