Anyone have any experience with Yasmin?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been on birth control for almost 4 years, and I've been using Ovcon-35 for the last 2 years or so. I'm thinking about asking my doctor about Yasmin because I've heard it's good for clearing up the skin. My skin isn't broken out, but sometimes when it gets that way, I think my birth control pill is the cause. Anyways, I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on this!

Originally Posted by FeistyFemme I've been on birth control for almost 4 years, and I've been using Ovcon-35 for the last 2 years or so. I'm thinking about asking my doctor about Yasmin because I've heard it's good for clearing up the skin. My skin isn't broken out, but sometimes when it gets that way, I think my birth control pill is the cause. Anyways, I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on this! I don't know about Yasmin, but I take ortho tri cyclen (not the lo kind, the regular). I have been on it for a few years, and my skin was pretty bad before I got on it. It helped clear it up, though I still get breakouts (but not nearly as badly as before).

Thanks fylloh!

I've actually tried OTC and it did nothing for me
frown.gif
It was the first pill I was put on, and I was switched to Orthocyclen after one month on OTC. When I switched to having periods only 2-3 times per year, Orthocyclen was not strong enough, so that's when I switched to Ovcon-35. I'm just hoping I can find some kind of BCP that will be strong enough and help my skin...

Question: Are you skipping placebos and taking the pill to stop your periods and only have them 2-3 times per year? Is that what you meant? I have a lot to say about Yasmin, but I am just curious about your intentions, first.
smile.gif
Oh, and were your periods pretty regular during the years before you started on the pill?

Thanks!
wink.gif

Originally Posted by FeistyFemme Thanks fylloh!
I've actually tried OTC and it did nothing for me
frown.gif
It was the first pill I was put on, and I was switched to Orthocyclen after one month on OTC. When I switched to having periods only 2-3 times per year, Orthocyclen was not strong enough, so that's when I switched to Ovcon-35. I'm just hoping I can find some kind of BCP that will be strong enough and help my skin...

Originally Posted by Kage_sCupotea Question: Are you skipping placebos and taking the pill to stop your periods and only have them 2-3 times per year? Is that what you meant? I have a lot to say about Yasmin, but I am just curious about your intentions, first.
smile.gif
Oh, and were your periods pretty regular during the years before you started on the pill?
Thanks!
wink.gif

I have alot of questions about Yasmin! I am going off of Depo which has really hurt me health wise and I've heard good things about yasmin. Was your expierence good or bad. Did you gain or lose weight? Did your skin get better or worse? Did it kill your sex drive etc. ??? Im desperately trying to find a good birth control method.
Thanks

I've never taken Yasmin. I started out on orthotricyclen (lo dose) about 3 years ago. I was amazed at how much it helped with my acne (cystic) but had to stop taking it because I was getting nauseated all the time. I switched to Alesse which worked well with no side efects but after being on that for the last couple of years I started having longer cycles again and more breakouts. I just recently switched to Microgestin FE and am having a hard time adjusting. I've been having terrible hot flashes and my cycle is only a day. I'm worried that this isn't normal but the doc assures me that it is. I've been on the new pill for 3 months now. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Should I just wait it out and let my body adjust?

I haven't been on BC in a long time now, but I need to get back on it...I'm actually looking into herbal methods(I posted in the Sex Forum, maybe it should be here?) but I did go to my regular DR to get a scrip for the pill just in case...I'm still debating if I want to get back on hormone pills...but the pill she recommended for me is Yasmin. I've searched for info on it and on a few health related boards I'm on I've heard just as many horror stories about taking it as I've heard positive experiences, but I guess it's that way with any pill. 14 years ago I started on OTC, then in college I switched to Ortho-Cept, but after a few years on that it stopped working for me. I started Depo and that was HORRIBLE! so I haven't been on BC since, but I think my man is sterile so I wasn't worried. I've finally got my body healthy and I'm scared to get back on the pill and screw up the last 2 years of natural therapy treatments I've been doing. So I would love to hear everyone's experience with Yasmin...

I took Yasmin for a few months but actually developed a huge ovarian cyst.
icon_eek.gif
I don't think the Yasmin necessarily CAUSED the cyst but birth control should prevent cysts from occuring in the first place. After my surgery, my gynecologist promptly switched me back to the more potent Ortho Tri Cyclen.

Hm, I don't have much personal experience, but I read a lot of threads about bc on a wedding-planning message board when I was engaged .... really the only conclusion I came to was that each pill has different reactions for each person. Regardless of whether you're talking about acne, weight gain, nasuea, or any other side effect, there were always some girls that had them and some that didn't. It's really more of a trial-and-error process than anything else, just experimentation until you find the right pill for you. (However, there did seem to be a disproportionately high number of horror stories about Depo...) I also think that it can take up to 3 months for side effects to go away for any pill; almost every doctor will ask you to stay on a pill for at least 3 months before trying something else. (Which is why everyone recommended us virgin brides to start bc 9-12 months before the wedding, so you have time to find the best pill before the big night!)

I was only on hormonal bc for 3 months. I took Mircette, which has a lower dose of hormones but also has a small amount of hormones in the pills you take while on your period, which supposedly reduces some side effects such as mood swings. The only side effect I had was sore breasts, but we decided to quit the hormonal bc before the wedding for moral reasons rather than medical. (I could explain if anyone's interested but it would be off-topic for this thread; maybe you can PM me if interested.)

Also, as a random side note, you tend to hear a lot of stories about women gaining weight while on the pill, but studies have actually shown that the same number of women if not more actually LOSE weight while on the pill!
wink.gif

ive been on yasmin for 5 years now. i had a huge ovarian cyst and birth control is their way of preventing it. its the best one ive tried all versions of orthotricylin made me sick. its kept my face clear up untill recently but we dunno what caused this sudden onset of acne. but over all i like it no problems with it hasnt made me sick. id reccomend it to everyone

The first bc my gyn gave me was yasmin years ago. I had a terrible allergic reaction to it, so she put me on Ortho-Tri-Lo. It has really helped me with cramping and finally having a regular cycle. I never did before and when I did, I would be in enormous pain, I wouldn't be able to get out of bed.

It hasn't caused any weight fluctuations or side effects. My cycle lasts 4 days tops and it's barely there. No cramping, no pms, no idea I'm getting my period at all until I see it. I love it.

Yasmin is one of the pills with the lowest hormone dose (if not THE lowest, I don´t know for sure) and therefore the side effects should be minimal (according to the pharma industry at least)

I am on my 3rd BC pill right now...started out with Diane mite (higher dosed) to clear up my skin (but I also needed the BC *lol*), then I took Yasmin cause you´re not supposed to stay on Diane mite for longer than 1 1/2 years. although my doc told me I could stay on it but I would rather believe in the package insert. now I´m on Valette (low dosed at well)

as far as I can say all 3 pills have cleared my skin up equally. I guess my body is not sensitive at all, I had ZERO side effects on either one of the 3 pills, didn´t gain weight, had regular periods, and everything else stayed the same. the only reason I keep on switching is that I seem to have trouble getting wet before/during sex (sorry...hope this doesn´t have to move to the other forum now
biggrin.gif
), which was soo different before I started taking BC.

a lot of my friends are on Yasmin or have been in the past...it is a very popular pill over here at the moment. it is especially prescribed to young girls as it has very little side effects. none of my friends have complained about side effects as far as I know. but if you really want to clear up your skin by taking BC pills I´d say talk to your dermatologist and gynaecologist and consider taking a pill with a higher hormone dose

Ok, so I caved and just started taking Yasmin...I've never had any side effects before when I took BC, but now is a different story...I got sick almost immediately after taking it the first time. I guess my body is way more sensitive now than it used to be...For the first 3 days I was sick and felt like crap, but now I'm ok. It is drying my skin up alot though. I already have dry skin and I'm guessing that because it increases your potassium levels is the reason I'm feeling a bit dehydrated. My period only lasted 1 day. SO I guess I'll see how it goes this next month.

Originally Posted by envymi Ok, so I caved and just started taking Yasmin...I've never had any side effects before when I took BC, but now is a different story...I got sick almost immediately after taking it the first time. I guess my body is way more sensitive now than it used to be...For the first 3 days I was sick and felt like crap, but now I'm ok. It is drying my skin up alot though. I already have dry skin and I'm guessing that because it increases your potassium levels is the reason I'm feeling a bit dehydrated. My period only lasted 1 day. SO I guess I'll see how it goes this next month. wow, I wished Yasmine made my period last one day too!!!! My periods didn´t change except for the lack of pain and that they got very regular. hope you feel better now!

Originally Posted by envymi Ok, so I caved and just started taking Yasmin...I've never had any side effects before when I took BC, but now is a different story...I got sick almost immediately after taking it the first time. I guess my body is way more sensitive now than it used to be...For the first 3 days I was sick and felt like crap, but now I'm ok. It is drying my skin up alot though. I already have dry skin and I'm guessing that because it increases your potassium levels is the reason I'm feeling a bit dehydrated. My period only lasted 1 day. SO I guess I'll see how it goes this next month. Hang in there! It'll get better. I'm finally adjusting to mine. My periods are just a day sometimes 2.

Originally Posted by envymi Ok, so I caved and just started taking Yasmin...I've never had any side effects before when I took BC, but now is a different story...I got sick almost immediately after taking it the first time. I guess my body is way more sensitive now than it used to be...For the first 3 days I was sick and felt like crap, but now I'm ok. It is drying my skin up alot though. I already have dry skin and I'm guessing that because it increases your potassium levels is the reason I'm feeling a bit dehydrated. My period only lasted 1 day. SO I guess I'll see how it goes this next month. HI envymi,i suffered from endometriosis and candida when i was finally diagnosed properly and treated for both conditions (naturally and surgicaly) my gynea told me to take yasmin continualy for three months then break which i did for two years.

However when i first started taking yasmin i felt and was sick but was told to try and tolerate it if i had those symptoms as it would stop the endo coming back.

I gradually got used to it though everytime i had the break and started taking them again i would get the symptoms back but gradually my body got used to it.

Other changes were breasts went up two cup sizes and so did my dress size , i got moody and tearfull and had no sex drive and had the driest skin especaily on my scalp which was scaly (yuk).

I came off the pill for a year as was miserable and then got the endo back had it removed and have started on yasmin again this time continualy with no breaks untill i want to try for a baby which will be in the new year.

This time i did not feel so sick and wasn`t actually sick. I have lost weight my breasts have stayed the same and i`m not moody ( or not as much haha) i don`t have a scaly scalp either though i do have dryness in a private girly place .

I have never tried another pill and was told this oone was the best one for me , at the moment i am very happy with it though have nothing to compare it with!!

Hope this helps,

XXXX

glad i found this thread as im thinking of swtiching to yasmin, as my current bc is affecting my libido. does anyone know if yasmine does, or does it really just depend? does anyone know of any pills that dont make you gain weigh, get acne or decrease your sex drive? thanks!

Originally Posted by cottoncandy glad i found this thread as im thinking of swtiching to yasmin, as my current bc is affecting my libido. does anyone know if yasmine does, or does it really just depend? does anyone know of any pills that dont make you gain weigh, get acne or decrease your sex drive? thanks! As I mentioned in the other bc thread, each pill affects each person differently. Just because one pill did or did not make one person gain weight (or have whatever side effect you want) does not mean it will do the same thing for you! You just need to work with your doctor until you find the pill that works best for you! If there was a pill that never made you gain weight, break out, or decrease your sex drive, don't you think every girl in the country would be on that pill?
wink.gif

And if you are really having problems finding a hormonal bc method that works for you, you can always consider non-hormonal methods. We use condoms plus a separate spermicide because my doctor said combining those two methods should be just as effective as the pill (if you follow all of the directions, of course)!

Hope you find something that works!

I thinkt the effects are different for every one...

I have been on Yasmin for a year now. I decided to try it because it says that it helps feeling less bloated and yes it is better with Yasmin than ortho-cy and alesse. for me but I still feel bloated the week before my periods. Yasmin also helps my skin... I started having acne in college and every BC pill I have tried helped my skin. The best one is Diane 35 but you cannot stay on it for a long time. My only complaint about Yasmin is really my mood swings. I get rally sad before my periods. Kinda like I want to be alone and I cry more easily. I think it is because of Yasmin but I am not sure. I will have to talk to my gyneco when I see her in december. Also, one thing that Yasmin doesn't help is that my breasts still hurt a lot a week before my periods. I haven't find the perfect pill... which it would be somewhere.

im on it now. ive been on it for a little over a month. its the first time ive ever used birth control and im only using it because i had really painful periods so my gyno put me on the pill to make them less agonizing. its too soon to tell whether or not its clearing up my skin but i really hope it does because that was the main reason i wanted to try it. but yeah...im on it.
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back