Are Brush Cleansers neccessary?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've always just used regular antibacterial hand soap for cleaning my brushes and make up sponges and never had any problems. So many makeup lines sell separate brush cleansers. Do brush cleaners really work and are they worth to use?

I've tried highend brush cleaners but honestly I really don't see a difference. I use shampoo or like you said an anti bac soap, to me its all the same. I suppose if I got my hands on Kevyn Aucoin makeup brushes then maybe I'd get the highend brush cleansers. Until then, I think *for me* its a waste of money.

I use baby shampoo. Really gentle, readily avaliable and cheap too!
smile.gif

I was a sucker and went for the cleanser from BE, it works just like baby shampoo and who knows what's in it. I don't like antibacterial cleansers like the one from Clinique because the chemicals irritate my skin and nose.

I use dial or softsoap anti bacterial soap...... never had any problems.....I also use rubbing alcohol to sanatise them after cleansing....works for me!

No, brush cleaner is not neccessary - anti-bacterial soap will do. But, please don't use alcohol to clean your brushes - the alcohol will dry them out - this will ruin a good brush.

i like using brush cleanser in between washings. they do sanitize the brushes.

if you use something else, don't use anything that can strip the brush hairs. i use a mix of brush cleanser, baby shampoo, and water when i do my cleanings

I just bought Sephora's brush cleaner today. It seems really convenient. I'll probably use it between major cleanings. The MA just said to spray my brushes with the cleaner, and swipe back and forth over a tissue. And it's fast drying, so there's no need to wait for it to air dry. I've yet to use it, but I hope it works well.

Once a week I wash my brushes with a mild shampoo. In between I use Lise Watier brush cleaner. Just spray it on the bristles, and wipe it back and forth on kleenex. Handy when you are applying different shades.

I've never bought a brush cleanser before. But I've been cleaning my makeup brushes with baby shampoo for the longest time and they all remained fresh and clean.
smile.gif

I use my face cleanser and makeup remover; it makes sense since the brushes go back on my face!!!

StereoXGirl - I think thats a good idea, a small amount to try first of course; it would be great for removing buildup right in the middle of brushes

I always use shampoo and never a problem. YOu really need to clean brushes often for them to keep sanitary AND they dont really work if they are loaded with product LOL

Originally Posted by jkiie /img/forum/go_quote.gif has anyone tried the MAC one? I bought several mac products a couple of days ago and the MA told me I really NEEDED a brush cleanser, so I purchased it... Wow!! Granted up until now I've never actually touched makeup, so I m the ultimate newbie, I could see the cleanser turning the color of the eyeshadows I'd used. It was like watching dye run out of your hair when you rinse it out of your hair that first time. I am so amazed, but then I never realized I could use baby shampoo either : P
Try it? What's the worst you can happen, you don't like it as much and return it to the store. At which point you conveniently spot the perfect little eyeshadow, or blush? =D

Latest posts

Back