Are you cooking or going out for Thanksgiving?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are your plans for Thanksgiving? Cooking at home, going to someone's house or going out? I'm going to be cooking at home although it will be a pre-cooked meal. Next year I'll cook my own turkey once I get a new stove/oven.

We always do the cooking here, my daughters and I do all the meal planning and preperations, we have so much fun in the kitchen together and it's great because they are learning a lot from me on how to fix all the traditional family recipes, just like when I got to be in the kitchen with my Mom and Grandmother all those years ago, sometimes I will even catch myself sounding just like my Mom or Grandma when I am showing them how to do something.

We're traveling to Oklahoma for a week, to visit with my hubby's family. (We're leaving next weekend, and returning the weekend after Thanksgiving Day.) Every year since he can remember, all of his family gets together (kind of a family reunion) and does Thanksgiving together. His family isn't as gung-ho about Christmas as mine is, and mine mainly loves to watch th Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade (at his folks, I have to record it). So, we've pretty much worked out our family holiday schedule.
smile.gif
Thanksgiving in OK with his family; Christmas with my family in Florida (this year), and perhaps here at our house in TX when we have kids, since my family is a bit more flexible about traveling at Christmas, so our kids can spend Christmas in their own home. Thanksgiving covers so many families inside my hubby's family, so they can't all travel here.
smile.gif

Edit - oh, yeah. Everyone makes something and the whole family has a "buffet" at the church where my hubby's great-uncle used to be pastor. They set up th fellowship hall and we chow down.
smile.gif

I really love going to the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade but this year will haveto skip it again. In the evening a bunch of my family and I will be headed to my brother's house. Each of us will be designated to bring something. Havent decided what I will bring, or even if I decide to cook it or just buy it. I really love sweet yams or sweet potato pie so I may do that. I think I can also handle making a baked ham this year. Looking forward it pigging out!!!
icon_confused.gif

You guys are making me HUNGRY! LOL

Usually I have a little thing at my house w/ just my immediate family - then later on go over by my b/f's family for seconds & dessert.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Kim, a friend of mine did the 'deep fry' turkey last year - she LOVED it! She said it was the best turkey she ever had - so seems you might have some good eatin' this year!
icon_cool.gif

When I was with my ex (from 98-00') we did the Macy's parade in NYC each year... but havent' been there since. I really want to go see it again - unfortunatly most times we were standing in the cold & rain.. so i want to go one year that it will be nice out! lol My b/f really isn't a "parade' person, so I'll have to keep trying to talk him into it! LOL Maybe I'll eventually bump into you Shoey! I'll meet ya by the snoopy balloon! LOL

Yeah Janelle, maybe one day we will bump into each other. Do you work in the city? I work in Midtown, near Grand Central.

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 You guys are making me HUNGRY! LOL
Usually I have a little thing at my house w/ just my immediate family - then later on go over by my b/f's family for seconds & dessert.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Kim, a friend of mine did the 'deep fry' turkey last year - she LOVED it! She said it was the best turkey she ever had - so seems you might have some good eatin' this year!
icon_cool.gif

When I was with my ex (from 98-00') we did the Macy's parade in NYC each year... but havent' been there since. I really want to go see it again - unfortunatly most times we were standing in the cold & rain.. so i want to go one year that it will be nice out! lol My b/f really isn't a "parade' person, so I'll have to keep trying to talk him into it! LOL Maybe I'll eventually bump into you Shoey! I'll meet ya by the snoopy balloon! LOL

Nah, I work here on Long Island, in Ronkonkoma (Suffolk county) its about 15 min. from my house. It's wierd... I'm an hour from NYC - yet I'm hardly there... only a few times a year.
icon_confused.gif

Consider yourself very lucky you dont have to come to the city everyday. I've been doing it for about 8 years and dread everyday of it.

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Nah, I work here on Long Island, in Ronkonkoma (Suffolk county) its about 15 min. from my house. It's wierd... I'm an hour from NYC - yet I'm hardly there... only a few times a year.
icon_confused.gif

We ordered it from Marie Calendars. They are very good! Us business people have a tough time cookin alot

Originally Posted by shoediva

Consider yourself very lucky you dont have to come to the city everyday. I've been doing it for about 8 years and dread everyday of it.

Originally Posted by shoediva Consider yourself very lucky you dont have to come to the city everyday. I've been doing it for about 8 years and dread everyday of it. Do you live in NYC?

I'm a Bronx Girl. I live at the end of the Bronx almost bordering Westchester. So I ride into the city everyday for about 1 hour each way, which typically "sucks!". Whenever I decide to change jobs, I'm going to consider Westchester.

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Do you live in NYC?

Ah, gotcha...It's still an hour to the city from where you are? I figured it'd be less... from where i am, it's about 1hr.15 min by train. (Which is the ONLY way to go from out here! lol) Driving in is horrendous! I've never driven in NYC - and I don't think I ever want to! LOL I know the rule... "When the light turns green just GO!" but those cabbies are CRAZY! I feel like I'm taking my life in my hands everytime I get in one! lol A few I've been in the driver actually read the newspaper as he was driving - in between just glancing up and honking his horn - lol
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Latest posts

Back