At what age....

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
....should I start cutting back on glittery eye looks? I have a lot of sparkly shadows (UD being among them, especially their Midnight Emergency kit) and I also have loose glitter that I apply for extra shimmer when I have a big event or girls' night out. I'm almost 25. At what age does this stop being a pretty/sexy look and start edging on inappropriate? Thanks!! (This is my first post ever, BTW 
sdrop.gif
)

I'm the same age and I stopped with the glittery eye makeup a few years ago. I was never really into it anyway.

A more serious answer is, do what makes you feel and look good. You might want to cut back so that you are still using it for girls night out and celebrations instead of more often. But even on a regular day if you feel like having a little glitter, like in your liner or corner of your eye, I'd say go for it. The biggest problem with aging eyes is possible crepey-ness and fine lines, then shimmer and glitter highlight it and you don't want that. But you'll know it, if and when that time comes.

I really don't like rules with makeup. It's meant to be fun. I mean, sure you don't want to be a disco ball at work and there the rules do have a reason, but just hanging out? Wear what you want and play with your makeup and style!

I agree with DonnaJ. Rules are meant to be broken anyway. Otherwise there'd be no innovation! As long as it doesn't look tacky, or like you're "doing too much", glitter eyes are fine.

If you like wearing it then why stop? Wear what makes you happy. I don't see the point of having age limits on makeup bc some people look older or younger than the age they supposedly are. 

Originally Posted by spydezra /img/forum/go_quote.gif

....should I start cutting back on glittery eye looks? I have a lot of sparkly shadows (UD being among them, especially their Midnight Emergency kit) and I also have loose glitter that I apply for extra shimmer when I have a big event or girls' night out. I'm almost 25. At what age does this stop being a pretty/sexy look and start edging on inappropriate? Thanks!! (This is my first post ever, BTW 
sdrop.gif
)

Ha yes the quarter life crisis. I've experienced it before. You start wondering if you're too old to listen to Ke$ha or if you should ditch buying clothes at your favorite store and start going to Anthropologie and/or Banana Republic. Been there, done that. Older people tend to stay away from glittery or shimmery looks because it highlights the wrinkles around their eyes. You're fine and have plenty of youthful years ahead of you. Don't think about until your 45 or you'll waste away those years being self-conscious of what other people's definition of "age appropriate". 

You need to do what looks good on you!

My mom is 52 and when I do here makeup, I do not use anything with shimmer...She has lots of fine lines, so they shimmer makes them pop out..I do still put shimmer in the inner corner of her eye though for a lil something...

25 is not too old for glitter!! Have you seen half the celebrities out there? If it looks good and you like it, then you should wear it, but within limits since you are a bit older than teenagers.

25 is not old, or too old for glitter. It just depends on how you apply it.  If you skin is in good condition you can wear it at any age.

I am not big fan of glitter but I guess I would stop wearing it only when I dont feel comfortable with regardless of the age, also I would wear it maybe on the appropiate occassions, ladies night would be one :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ..

The age you should stop is the age where you have deep lines and wrinkles that the glitter only makes look worse. For some women it's in their mid-20s and for some it's in their mid-60s. So long as you don't look like an over the top disco ball or drag queen (unless that's the look you're going for) then wear glitter as you want. I like glitter (I'm 37) but as an accent like in a liner or only ONE shadow or maybe even a gloss but not all over my face.

My mom is 54 and still gets away with shimmery shadow! I suppose it's all how you age, but I don't plan to ever put myself in a box. How is that fair? Lol I plan to wear what I like as long as I like it! Maybe glitter isn't appropriate for the grocery, but I'll rock it just about any other time ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I recently turned 30 and I still do a little glittery eyeshadow (I bought a bunch of those Tokidoki palettes from Sephora and they've got a lot of glitter). I do try to keep away from glittery blush and from sparkly lipgloss. I think it just depends on your overall look - how your full face of makeup comes together, your hair, and what you're wearing. There's definitely no hard and fast age limit for it.

Yup, shimmer and glitter are different. I rarely wear glitter except on my nails, but I do wear shimmer every time I put on eye makeup. I'm one of the lucky ones who has a baby face even at my age so I don't have to worry about shimmer or glitter in my non existent wrinkles (ok I have one on my forehead). I was buying beer and got carded, which I assumed was because they card everyone. But the guy behind me asked at what age do they stop carding, and the clerk said, "We have to card anyone who looks 30 or under." ME, THIRTY?????? I said to him, "I'm closer to 50 than 30." and he blushed. lol

Ok, ya got me lol :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

however, for my mother shimmer may as well be glitter...she's pretty conservative. I still say there aren't any rules to be broken! If you like how you look then rock it!
rocknroll2.gif

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Shimmer is not the same as glitter though in my opinion.

I'm 33.  No one better try and take my glitter away! I love it, and don't give a crap what anyone else thinks.

Latest posts

Back