Attention NYC girls.. i need help!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, my parents are going to NYC for 3 days at the start of April.

They want to go to a broadway show. Can anybody recommend one & tell me where its on coz i've to book tickets for it ASAP!

Now for the most important part.. where will i tell them to shop (for me!). They don't have long there so tell me the best & biggest malls they should visit
biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance
icon_cheesygrin.gif

what kind of stuff are your parents interested in? my bf's parents were here last year. they have a huge passion for musicals (and we don't) but we went to see avenue q, and all parties were pleased. as i said, musicals aren't really my thing but i hear good things about wicked. if they have a chance, they should just go to tckts thing in time square, but if they are short on time or want to see a show that just came out, you may just want to call the box office.

as for stores, what kinds of things to do you want? i would say visit nice department stores that are local to nyc, like bergdorf's, bendel's (this one's pretty much all girls), and barneys. there are lots of cool things at barneys co-op (co-op has two locations: one in chelsea and one in soho). smaller chain stores that are local to nyc, like intermix, scoop, big drop, and searle have tons of fun items as well. all of those stores have various locations, but i think that they all have one store in the soho area.

i would say that they won't have a hard time finding nice things to buy you in manhattan. i can promise that.

Originally Posted by dot what kind of stuff are your parents interested in? my bf's parents were here last year. they have a huge passion for musicals (and we don't) but we went to see avenue q, and all parties were pleased. as i said, musicals aren't really my thing but i hear good things about wicked. if they have a chance, they should just go to tckts thing in time square, but if they are short on time or want to see a show that just came out, you may just want to call the box office.
as for stores, what kinds of things to do you want? i would say visit nice department stores that are local to nyc, like bergdorf's, bendel's (this one's pretty much all girls), and barneys. there are lots of cool things at barneys co-op (co-op has two locations: one in chelsea and one in soho). smaller chain stores that are local to nyc, like intermix, scoop, big drop, and searle have tons of fun items as well. all of those stores have various locations, but i think that they all have one store in the soho area.

i would say that they won't have a hard time finding nice things to buy you in manhattan. i can promise that.

Yup yup yup! There is plenty to buy in NYC!!! LOL I think 7th ave is fashion ave... (I'm not a daily city goer - so someone correct me if I'm wrong) And there are really nice clothing stores... there's a MAC pro store... (of course!
wink.gif
) and as far as shows, I saw Riverdance... and that was pretty cool - but I dunno... they might want to avoid "Irish" dancing since they're supposed to be on vacation! LOL
tongue.gif

Ok girls thanks for the info but i need more! Ok, i think they'll give Riverdance a miss because they've seen that twice in Ireland already & riverdance to us is like "so 10 years ago"!!! They'd be up for a musical. To be honest they never go to the theatre or to shows back home but they heard they have fantastic ones in NYC so if you ask me they're going just to say they went!

Shopping wise, name me the best place for bargains & of course all the stores with high-end make up brands! I'll write down the stores that ye have mentioned already though Dot & Janelle. Thanks
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Laura Shopping wise, name me the best place for bargains & of course all the stores with high-end make up brands! I'll write down the stores that ye have mentioned already though Dot & Janelle. Thanks
biggrin.gif
A great place for bargains is Century 21. There's an entire other store devoted to shoes. I would check out the New York magazine website to see if there are any interesting sample sales that week.
Here's the run-down as far as stores with interesting makeup brands please anyone fill in anything I've missed:

Barneys (uptown location only NOT at any of the co-op stores)

Shu, Stila, BB, Remede, SCO, Tracie Martyn, CdP, Sue Devitt, Hourglass, Chantecaille, Bionova, YSL, Stephane Marais (spelling?), Susanne Lang, Frederic Malle, Fresh, Molton Brown, By Terry, Kanebo, Nars, L'artisan, T. LeClerc, Kiehl's, tons of fragrances and candles too.

This is my favorite makeup floor in NYC. I swear the best lighting too! I always look amazing in their lighting.

Bergdorf:

BB, LM, Px, Nars, Creme de la Mer, Darphin, CdP, Chanel, Jo Malone, L'artisan, Lancome, Revive, Guerlain (great little Guerlain cave) ummmmmmmmm there are tons of other little lines they carry here too. I can't really think of it now though.

Henri Bendel:

DvF, LM, Trish, Kevyn A, Pout, some line that custom blends for you, T. LeClerc, Awake, Mac (the first MAC store that ever opened in the US but they don't have alot of the stuff that's at Pro stores), and others... someone please help me out! Definitely have your mom check out this store. It's in an amazing building and she should definitely walk through all the floors. The Garren salon is also in this building.

Saks:

Erno, Bliss, Trish, BB, LM, Nars, Prada, Armani, CdP, Mac, La Prairie, Stila, SK II, Jo Malone, Shiseido, Go Smile, Perricone, Estee, Chanel, La Mer, Bond fragrances, Givenchy, Guerlain

Takashimaya:

Beauty level is the top floor I think? Great flower shop in this building and beauty level is amazing. I can't honestly remember what they carry there other than Shu but the store itself is worth checking out. I think there is a tea room in the basement.

These are all pretty much in the same area. They can hit all of these stores at once.

If there is a line you are particulary interested in.. please let me know and I'll let you know where to go for it.

There is a MAC store in the flatiron district 22nd and Fifth I think or is it closer to Broadway? Can't miss it.

Oh you're a star Dot. Thanks a million for that info. I'll pass it all on to my mom!

i agree with the girls above.

the shows at broadway are changing with the days. if you know which days exactly, let me know so i can look it up for you if you don't know how to
smile.gif

by the way, where in ireland are you from, if you don't mind me asking? i work with this girl who's here visiting the states for a year and she's from county cork. maybe you 2 know each other LOL

Originally Posted by Jennifer i agree with the girls above.
the shows at broadway are changing with the days. if you know which days exactly, let me know so i can look it up for you if you don't know how to
smile.gif

by the way, where in ireland are you from, if you don't mind me asking? i work with this girl who's here visiting the states for a year and she's from county cork. maybe you 2 know each other LOL

Yup I agree too! Century 21 is such a cool store! I'm not really a musical person & when I saw Riverdance...it was about 6 years ago! LOL I don't even know what's out now... A friend's parents saw "Mamma Mia" & "Movin' Out" and liked them. Even if they don't do anything special, I'm sure they'll have a great time here!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Hey Jennifer! I'm from CORK too! Whats the girls name? You never know.. i might just know her.

My parents will be in NYC from April 4-7 (or sometime around those dates). Think they might like Mamma Mia.

Originally Posted by Laura Hey Jennifer! I'm from CORK too! Whats the girls name? You never know.. i might just know her.
My parents will be in NYC from April 4-7 (or sometime around those dates). Think they might like Mamma Mia.

Supposedly it's a really good show - it looks good on the commercials too! Too bad you aren't coming with them! Would've liked to meet up with you! (And if they were coming 2 weeks? later - 4/17-4/19 - You could've come to that show with me!! MAC Discounts!!!)
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Somehow i don't think my parents want me on their 25 year wedding anniversary cruise!! But man would i LOVE to go to that discount show with you!

Originally Posted by Laura Hey Jennifer! I'm from CORK too! Whats the girls name? You never know.. i might just know her.

her name's norma! WHAT A SMALL WORLD, if you know her! she's 26ish. i forgot. she has reddish hair with blue eyes. do you know her?!
i would definitely tell your parents to go see mamma mia! it's really good, i heard! this guy i used to date actually dated the star of that show for 3 years, so i never wanted to go see it
wink.gif

Ok its been decided they're gonna book tickets for Mamma Mia. Now all i need to know is HOW DO I BOOK TICKETS? Is there some sort of website for booking it? Thanks girlies

Em Jennifer i only know 1 Norma and she's about 35 so its probably not the same girl you know! You'd be surprised how small Ireland is though. I made friends with a US girl once on another site and her boyfriend was from where i lived! Weird of what!

Originally Posted by Laura Ok its been decided they're gonna book tickets for Mamma Mia. Now all i need to know is HOW DO I BOOK TICKETS? Is there some sort of website for booking it? Thanks girlies
Em Jennifer i only know 1 Norma and she's about 35 so its probably not the same girl you know! You'd be surprised how small Ireland is though. I made friends with a US girl once on another site and her boyfriend was from where i lived! Weird of what!

oh, i got excited maybe we knew the same person
frown.gif

http://www.broadway.com/gen/show.aspx?SI=1421

go to that link and then on the right, there's the picture to click on that says GET TICKETS. click that and then select the month and then the date and time and follow the directions from there.

Latest posts

Back