Bear downs 36 beers, passes out at campground

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rainier, not Busch, the beverage of choice for thirsty black bear

BAKER LAKE, Wash. - When state Fish and Wildlife agents recently found a black bear passed out on the lawn of Baker Lake Resort, there were some clues scattered nearby — dozens of empty cans of Rainier Beer.

The bear apparently got into campers’ coolers and used his claws and teeth to puncture the cans. And not just any cans.

“He drank the Rainier and wouldn’t drink the Busch beer,†said Lisa Broxson, bookkeeper at the campground and cabins resort east of Mount Baker.

Fish and Wildlife enforcement Sgt. Bill Heinck said the bear did try one can of Busch, but ignored the rest. The beast then consumed about 36 cans of Rainier.

A wildlife agent tried to chase the bear from the campground but the animal just climbed a tree to sleep it off for another four hours. Agents finally herded the bear away, but it returned the next morning.

Agents then used a large, humane trap to capture it for relocation, baiting the trap with the usual: doughnuts, honey and, in this case, two open cans of Rainier.

That did the trick.

“This is a new one on me,†Heinck said. “I’ve known them to get into cans, but nothing like this. And it definitely had a preference.â€

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

<SCRIPT>var url=location.href;var i=url.indexOf('print/1/');if(i<0){i=url.indexOf('&print=1');}if(i>=0){url =url.substring(0,i);document.write('URL: '+url+'

');if(window.print){window.print()}else{alert('To print his page press Ctrl-P on your keyboard nor choose print from your browser or device after clicking OK');}}</SCRIPT>URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5756809/?GT1=4529

icon_lol.gif

Hah I saw that article too. Who knew that bears have discerning tastes. I wonder how they'd feel about Coors Light since that's all my husband drinks. I'll make sure not to pack any if we go camping.

eebanner2.jpg
<-- People like Bob bec. he's short on words.

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish Rainier, not Busch, the beverage of choice for thirsty black bear
BAKER LAKE, Wash. - When state Fish and Wildlife agents recently found a black bear passed out on the lawn of Baker Lake Resort, there were some clues scattered nearby — dozens of empty cans of Rainier Beer.

The bear apparently got into campers’ coolers and used his claws and teeth to puncture the cans. And not just any cans.

“He drank the Rainier and wouldn’t drink the Busch beer,†said Lisa Broxson, bookkeeper at the campground and cabins resort east of Mount Baker.

Fish and Wildlife enforcement Sgt. Bill Heinck said the bear did try one can of Busch, but ignored the rest. The beast then consumed about 36 cans of Rainier.

A wildlife agent tried to chase the bear from the campground but the animal just climbed a tree to sleep it off for another four hours. Agents finally herded the bear away, but it returned the next morning.

Agents then used a large, humane trap to capture it for relocation, baiting the trap with the usual: doughnuts, honey and, in this case, two open cans of Rainier.

That did the trick.

“This is a new one on me,†Heinck said. “I’ve known them to get into cans, but nothing like this. And it definitely had a preference.â€

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

<SCRIPT>var url=location.href;var i=url.indexOf('print/1/');if(i<0){i=url.indexOf('&print=1');}if(i>=0){url =url.substring(0,i);document.write('URL: '+url+'

');if(window.print){window.print()}else{alert('To print his page press Ctrl-P on your keyboard nor choose print from your browser or device after clicking OK');}}</SCRIPT>URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5756809/?GT1=4529

icon_lol.gif

That is simply amazing! Since the beer was in cans, do you think the bear could distinguish between the two types by viewing the can's design? He's a quick study. Wow!

Originally Posted by Californian Hah I saw that article too. Who knew that bears have discerning tastes. I wonder how they'd feel about Coors Light since that's all my husband drinks. I'll make sure not to pack any if we go camping.
eebanner2.jpg
<-- People like Bob bec. he's short on words.

Maybe the Rainier beer was on top of all the other beer, so he drank all of those and passed out before he got a chance to drink the other type, lol all in all it was a funny, cute story. Oh and a tad strange, lol

Black%20Bear%20485020.jpg

I assume that he was a youthful, prodigious bear who not only recognized color difference on labels, but could read them as well. I once read about a colony of genius bears who preferred Cheetos over Fritos, Oscar Mayer Franks over Farmer John Franks, and Nabisco Vanilla Wafers over Laura Scudders'. Maybe he is one of the clan. I think he deserves at least a summertime supplies worth of free beer for showing the world that not only do bears have feelings, but they can read too.

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish That is simply amazing! Since the beer was in cans, do you think the bear could distinguish between the two types by viewing the can's design? He's a quick study. Wow!

Latest posts

Back