Beauty Sins: What Not to Do

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In beauty as in life, sinful deeds get done. But unlike life, when we might act on a wicked impulse with the most atrocious results, beauty sins are much easier to correct. Here are 10 beauty sins, from the innocently bungling to the outright jarring. Think of them as gentle -- and not so gentle -- reminders of what not to do. Ever.

Reprehensibly Dark Lip Liner

If friends are asking you how you enjoyed your hot cocoa and you didn't have hot cocoa, you're probably wearing lip liner that's too dark. Stop it. You look silly. Go find a lip pencil that matches your lip color.

Scandalously Sleeping with Your Makeup

Don't cheat on your face. Because your skin is rich in its own natural oils, gets coated with a daily blend of environmental debris and suffocates under makeup, you've got to wash your face every night or your pores will suffer.

Shamefully Trying to Hide Your Skin Color

Sorry, but you won't look like you have a honeyed and sultry tan if your foundation's too dark -- you'll just look dirty. And you won't appear porcelain skinned if your foundation is too light -- you'll just look like a ghoul. So gals, please, choose your foundation in good, clear light and blend it onto your skin carefully.

Appallingly Squeezing Your Zits

Bicoastal dermatologist Karyn Grossman explains that picking pimples not only pushes the bad stuff out of your skin, it also pushes it in deeper, resulting in prolonged redness and increased risk of scarring. She recommends using one-percent hydrocortisone on a pimple three times a day for up to five days to decrease inflammation.

Dreadfully Dramatic Contouring

Using deep contour shades to give the illusion of a sculpted nose or a sharper cheekbone looks divine on the pages of fashion magazines where choreographed lighting diffuses the gradations of tone. But in real life, you've got to blend those contour shades to near invisibility. That or look like a human outline.

Dishonorable Lack of Consideration for Brow Color

The most flattering brow color is a shade lighter or a shade and a half lighter than the darkest part of your hair. Don't go more extreme than that. If your hair is blonde and your brows are midnight black, you'll look like you've divided your features in two.

The Immorality of Spidery Lashes

Eyelashes are a fine and delicate feature, so honor them as such by using mascara only to subtly enhance. If your impulse is to over-apply, you're going to have to teach yourself to hold back. Spidery, clumped-up, wild-looking lashes are only attractive to other spiders.

Reckless Vibrancy

If you fancy vibrant cheeks, keep your lips understated. If, on the other hand, you're aching for vivacious lips, cool it with the blush. It's the difference between appearing sophisticated and clownish.

Scandalous Dapples

Trying to blend cream makeup over a powdered face is like trying to mix honey into your iced tea. It doesn't work. Instead, you'll look as though you dappled sticky bits of glue across your face. If you use cream foundations and concealers, start with those and finish with powder if needed.

Shameful Public Application

As I always say, there's only one situation in which applying makeup in public is okay -- as performance art. If you don't have dreams of being on the stage, don't do it. It's in bad taste, it's tacky and you'll look dumb!

I am bad with these so called rules too. I always re-apply my lipgloss/lipstick after I finish eating, right at the table.

Erin - black lipliner/frosty white lippie should be your next FOTD!

Originally Posted by triks&tekniques and i do love my spider lashes...four coats..i can't help it............
icon_eek.gif

awww, what happened to no rules in makeup...are you saying no more black lipliner with my frosty white lipstick? just kidding....thats sooooooooo bad

and does that mean no more checking my lipstick with the butter knife after dinner...haha

I´m a spider girl too...well at least my lashes are not clumpy. but when I go out at night I use waay more than just 4 coats ;-)

Originally Posted by charms23 I'm guilty of sleeping with my makeup on! Sometimes I'm just too lazy to take it off...I know I should take better care of my skin. Me too!!!

Great post!! I'm guilty of putting on gloss in public too..
icon_smile.gif

BUT I hate that dark lipliner thing! I was watching the national news last night and the newscaster had dark liner on!! I had to change the channel as it ticked me off so much. My husband couldn't understand why I was yelling at the TV!!

icon_rolleyes.gif

This was a good reminder of all those faux pas we all do! I am so bad about sleeping w/ makeup on...it's a wonder I'm not a totally haggard pizza face. Tons of mascara...guilty as charged. I'll never stop!!!

Applying makeup in public...yes, I do it too. But I honestly don't see what's wrong with that? Why is it bad?
confused.gif

Quote:
Reprehensibly Dark Lip Liner If friends are asking you how you enjoyed your hot cocoa and you didn't have hot cocoa, you're probably wearing lip liner that's too dark. Stop it. You look silly. Go find a lip pencil that matches your lip color. This is fabulous! I always was fascinated by the hardcore cholas at my HS, so for Halloween 2 years ago, I lived out my alter ego. I'll have to dig up the pics.
tongue.gif

Quote:
Reckless Vibrancy If you fancy vibrant cheeks, keep your lips understated. If, on the other hand, you're aching for vivacious lips, cool it with the blush. It's the difference between appearing sophisticated and clownish. But it's fun to be recklessly vibrant! Ain't no shame!

Quote:
Shameful Public Application As I always say, there's only one situation in which applying makeup in public is okay -- as performance art. If you don't have dreams of being on the stage, don't do it. It's in bad taste, it's tacky and you'll look dumb! I'm so guilty. I've fixed my fake lashes while at lunch with friends. Is that nasty? lol!

I don't think there is anything wrong with applying l/s or l/g in public. I'm guilty, but I don't think I should excuse myself to hit the ladies room just for that.

Originally Posted by Trisha
I so do this all the time, but who gives a sh!t!!

I do this too. i think there's no shame in reapplying lipgloss in public. I think mascara could be going a bit too far though.

I love articles like this - great post Marisol.... :icon_love

Originally Posted by Marisol In beauty as in life, sinful deeds get done. But unlike life, when we might act on a wicked impulse with the most atrocious results, beauty sins are much easier to correct. Here are 10 beauty sins, from the innocently bungling to the outright jarring. Think of them as gentle -- and not so gentle -- reminders of what not to do. Ever.

Reprehensibly Dark Lip Liner

If friends are asking you how you enjoyed your hot cocoa and you didn't have hot cocoa, you're probably wearing lip liner that's too dark. Stop it. You look silly. Go find a lip pencil that matches your lip color.

Scandalously Sleeping with Your Makeup

Don't cheat on your face. Because your skin is rich in its own natural oils, gets coated with a daily blend of environmental debris and suffocates under makeup, you've got to wash your face every night or your pores will suffer.

Shamefully Trying to Hide Your Skin Color

Sorry, but you won't look like you have a honeyed and sultry tan if your foundation's too dark -- you'll just look dirty. And you won't appear porcelain skinned if your foundation is too light -- you'll just look like a ghoul. So gals, please, choose your foundation in good, clear light and blend it onto your skin carefully.

Appallingly Squeezing Your Zits

Bicoastal dermatologist Karyn Grossman explains that picking pimples not only pushes the bad stuff out of your skin, it also pushes it in deeper, resulting in prolonged redness and increased risk of scarring. She recommends using one-percent hydrocortisone on a pimple three times a day for up to five days to decrease inflammation.

Dreadfully Dramatic Contouring

Using deep contour shades to give the illusion of a sculpted nose or a sharper cheekbone looks divine on the pages of fashion magazines where choreographed lighting diffuses the gradations of tone. But in real life, you've got to blend those contour shades to near invisibility. That or look like a human outline.

Dishonorable Lack of Consideration for Brow Color

The most flattering brow color is a shade lighter or a shade and a half lighter than the darkest part of your hair. Don't go more extreme than that. If your hair is blonde and your brows are midnight black, you'll look like you've divided your features in two.

The Immorality of Spidery Lashes

Eyelashes are a fine and delicate feature, so honor them as such by using mascara only to subtly enhance. If your impulse is to over-apply, you're going to have to teach yourself to hold back. Spidery, clumped-up, wild-looking lashes are only attractive to other spiders.

Reckless Vibrancy

If you fancy vibrant cheeks, keep your lips understated. If, on the other hand, you're aching for vivacious lips, cool it with the blush. It's the difference between appearing sophisticated and clownish.

Scandalous Dapples

Trying to blend cream makeup over a powdered face is like trying to mix honey into your iced tea. It doesn't work. Instead, you'll look as though you dappled sticky bits of glue across your face. If you use cream foundations and concealers, start with those and finish with powder if needed.

Shameful Public Application

As I always say, there's only one situation in which applying makeup in public is okay -- as performance art. If you don't have dreams of being on the stage, don't do it. It's in bad taste, it's tacky and you'll look dumb!

Originally Posted by charms23 I'm guilty of sleeping with my makeup on! Sometimes I'm just too lazy to take it off...I know I should take better care of my skin.
36_1_30.gif

I think we are all guilty of this one, especially after a night of drinking! That is why I keep my MAC cleasing cloths next to my bed.

Originally Posted by glamslam Applying makeup in public...yes, I do it too. But I honestly don't see what's wrong with that? Why is it bad? I think they might mean doing all of your make-up in public. IMO, if someone is reapplying all of their make-up at a restaurant, that to me is tacky. If its just some lipgloss, then its ok. That is just my opinion though.
icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by Joyeuux This is fabulous! I always was fascinated by the hardcore cholas at my HS, so for Halloween 2 years ago, I lived out my alter ego. I'll have to dig up the pics. images/smilies/tongue.gif Please do! I had a few in my high school too.

Originally Posted by Marisol Appallingly Squeezing Your Zits

Oh i SO can not not do this one!!

Thank goodness I never sleep with makeup anymore but when I used to go to university (15-18 years ago), I would get tired and go to sleep with makeup
icon_sad.gif

Latest posts

Back