Best and worse skincare line/products

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Clinique but I do use other products as well along with it. Lancome and Clarins, works best on my face.

Thanks for the tip Navybrat and welcome to the board! I've noticed the same with my skin about going more simple with the products and routine. I used to use all kinds of expensive face washes toners etc. Now I use Neutrogena oily sensitive skin wash and a moisturizer (one for night time and one for daytime with SPF) and my skin is loving it. My breakouts are pretty much gone and so are my blackheads. I think I was disturbing my skin by using too many products. Where do you buy the unrefined shea butter and the African Black soap from?

Worst: Arbonne's swedish skinecare line (it's suppose to be all natural and not bothersome to sensitive skin... but my face started burning after using) Best: Yves Rocher (can't remember the name and no longer see it on the website!)

Since I'm not faithful to any line, I'll just list the best products that work for me.
icon_biggrin.gif

Cleanser:

DHC cleansers really rock! I use the Deep Cleansing Oil in the morning and also in the evening as a makeup remover. At night, I follow up with The Wonder Cloth and DHC Mild Soap. This method leaves my skin and pores super clean.

Toner:

Again, DHC is my favorite. DHC Mild Lotion is very soothing and gentle. It re-establishes my pH and lightly conditions and softens my skin. It's a bit pricey but worth it.

Serum:

La Mer Lifting Face Serum & Intensifier - I don't know if this is the "best" out there, but over two weeks ago I added this to my routine and I'm finding my skin looks healthier, less ruddy and in better condition. It faded some of the pigmentation on my upper lip area and evened out my skin tone. If my husband can see a difference, then I love it! FYI...It's UNGODLY expensive!!

Daytime Moisturizer:

Olay Complete for Sensitive Skin- This is a bargain and works very well at moisturizing and offering decent sun protection.

Nighttime Moisturizer:

Awake Skin Renovation - This is a very gentle, gel creme that does a great job comforting my skin and keeping it moist all night long.

Eye Cream (Day/Night):

Awake Skin Renovation Eye - I finally found an eye cream that's super rich, firming and won't make my eyes puffy! It's very expensive, but a little goes a long way.

Treatment/Facial:

Philosophy Microdelivery Peel - My favorite face scrub ever!! This is a vitamin C treatment/deep exfoliation system that I do 1x per week. My skin is left with a refined texture and increased radiance.

Neck Cream:

Daytime: Eucerin Extra Protective Moisture Lotion SPF 30

Night Time: DHC Olive Virgin Oil

Originally Posted by maiho I'm not sure if this has been asked, but i'm curious of what is everyone's favorite and least favorite skincare line or products you have used. here's mine: Worst ever ahhhhh: clinique's 3 step skincare... i cant believe its still in stores. shouldnt they ban this by now. Some estee lauder products Aura Science sold at vs. (at first i thought i liked it till it dried out my skin terribly) Clean & Clear St. Ive's don't really have favorites but these work ok for me: Aveda's all sensitive line Neutrogena deep clean Cetaphil cleanser (so gentle) Sucks cuz all products irritaate me. I hate my sensitive skin. My favorites are Philosophy & La Mer... basically the only things that I ever found beneficial. Fresh has some good stuff too. I really didn't like: Clinique Estee Lauder anything drugstore except for Clean and Clear cleanser.. the one that makes your skin feel tingly M.D. Forte? Is that what it was called?

Well, I went to see my old counter manager from Clinique she now works for Clarins as the person that travels from store to store doing the facials, I forgot what they are called. She took one look at my skin and told me to stop using Clinique all together. My skin is in horrorable shape right now. I brought some product from her and I can already see a difference. DO NOT, DO NOT USE CLINIQUE'S 3 STEP SYSTEM. sigh..

Originally Posted by FacesbyNiki Well, I went to see my old counter manager from Clinique she now works for Clarins as the person that travels from store to store doing the facials, I forgot what they are called. She took one look at my skin and told me to stop using Clinique all together. My skin is in horrorable shape right now. I brought some product from her and I can already see a difference.
DO NOT, DO NOT USE CLINIQUE'S 3 STEP SYSTEM.

sigh..

I must say that I have never heard so many people complain about Clinique before this year. You are definately NOT the only one. I think their execs better get with the program or they are going to go out of biz!

I'm totally blanking on worst skincare
icon_redface.gif
But for the best, I can say that my skin really loves PC products. Being that I'm broke right now (eh, being jobless sucks!), I've been using a few things from the drugstore that I really like:

- Dove Cleansing Pillows

- Olay Regenerist Serum

- Equate Gentle Skin Cleanser

- Olay Complete

I've been really interested in Origins though, so that may be my next venture into new skincare...

icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Californian I must say that I have never heard so many people complain about Clinique before this year. You are definately NOT the only one. I think their execs better get with the program or they are going to go out of biz! oh yes they do. The whole time I worked for them, I noticed my skin acting crazy but I never thought anything about it. But now, it's just out of control. sigh.. and to think, the Account Rep called a few months back, asking if I wanted to come and work for them again.
icon_rolleyes.gif
No thanks I told her.

I know what you mean. I LOVE and ADORE YSL color and freelance for them every month, but I can't use their skincare. Gives me bad rashes! And I have to "talk it up" when I work events. What can I say? "Uuummm..this is a nice cream. Makes skin soft. All this for $165. Fantabulous deal!"
icon_razz.gif

Originally Posted by FacesbyNiki oh yes they do. The whole time I worked for them, I noticed my skin acting crazy but I never thought anything about it. But now, it's just out of control. sigh.. and to think, the Account Rep called a few months back, asking if I wanted to come and work for them again.
icon_rolleyes.gif
No thanks I told her.

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish I know what you mean. I LOVE and ADORE YSL color and freelance for them every month, but I can't use their skincare. Gives me bad rashes! And I have to "talk it up" when I work events. What can I say? "Uuummm..this is a nice cream. Makes skin soft. All this for $165. Fantabulous deal!"
icon_razz.gif
icon_lol.gif

Yeah, some stuff, I would have to fake my way through too. LOL

You are a freelancer?? WOW I'm trying to get back in the biz, but I gotta find an opening. I want to go back to the counter for either MAC or Lancome. sigh..

I consider freelancing a hobby, since it's only about 3-5 jobs per month. There are only so many events an area can have! I worked behind the counter for a few days while "babysitting" a line (the counter manager was on vacation) and I swear I'll never do that again! I get bored easily and love the hectic pace of events. And I'm considering going back to working as a business analyst, so freelancing will definitely be weekend work.

My .02 cents for you would be to create some business cards and seek out the counter managers. If you know they do big events, then I'm SURE they're always on the lookout for freelancers. If you have no experience, you can even suggest a trial job working for gratis. It's kind of a 'wink wink, nudge nudge' approach, but it works sometimes.
icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted by FacesbyNiki Yeah, some stuff, I would have to fake my way through too. LOL

You are a freelancer?? WOW I'm trying to get back in the biz, but I gotta find an opening. I want to go back to the counter for either MAC or Lancome. sigh..

Oh, wait a minute...durrrr! You DO have experience!! Sorry!

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish I consider freelancing a hobby, since it's only about 3-5 jobs per month. There are only so many events an area can have! I worked behind the counter for a few days while "babysitting" a line (the counter manager was on vacation) and I swear I'll never do that again! I get bored easily and love the hectic pace of events. And I'm considering going back to working as a business analyst, so freelancing will definitely be weekend work.
My .02 cents for you would be to create some business cards and seek out the counter managers. If you know they do big events, then I'm SURE they're always on the lookout for freelancers. If you have no experience, you can even suggest a trial job working for gratis. It's kind of a 'wink wink, nudge nudge' approach, but it works sometimes.
icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish I consider freelancing a hobby, since it's only about 3-5 jobs per month. There are only so many events an area can have! I worked behind the counter for a few days while "babysitting" a line (the counter manager was on vacation) and I swear I'll never do that again! I get bored easily and love the hectic pace of events. And I'm considering going back to working as a business analyst, so freelancing will definitely be weekend work.
icon_cool.gif

Oh wow.. never thought of that. I've seen counters were they have so many customers and few freelancers. That's a great idea. Thanks so much.
icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish Since I'm not faithful to any line, I'll just list the best products that work for me.
icon_biggrin.gif

Cleanser:

DHC cleansers really rock! I use the Deep Cleansing Oil in the morning and also in the evening as a makeup remover. At night, I follow up with The Wonder Cloth and DHC Mild Soap. This method leaves my skin and pores super clean.

Toner:

Again, DHC is my favorite. DHC Mild Lotion is very soothing and gentle. It re-establishes my pH and lightly conditions and softens my skin. It's a bit pricey but worth it.

Serum:

La Mer Lifting Face Serum & Intensifier - I don't know if this is the "best" out there, but over two weeks ago I added this to my routine and I'm finding my skin looks healthier, less ruddy and in better condition. It faded some of the pigmentation on my upper lip area and evened out my skin tone. If my husband can see a difference, then I love it! FYI...It's UNGODLY expensive!!

Daytime Moisturizer:

Olay Complete for Sensitive Skin- This is a bargain and works very well at moisturizing and offering decent sun protection.

Nighttime Moisturizer:

Awake Skin Renovation - This is a very gentle, gel creme that does a great job comforting my skin and keeping it moist all night long.

Eye Cream (Day/Night):

Awake Skin Renovation Eye - I finally found an eye cream that's super rich, firming and won't make my eyes puffy! It's very expensive, but a little goes a long way.

Treatment/Facial:

Philosophy Microdelivery Peel - My favorite face scrub ever!! This is a vitamin C treatment/deep exfoliation system that I do 1x per week. My skin is left with a refined texture and increased radiance.

Neck Cream:

Daytime: Eucerin Extra Protective Moisture Lotion SPF 30

Night Time: DHC Olive Virgin Oil

Where do you buy the awake products, I am especially interested in the eye cream, I have very puffy eyes

Thanks, Pam

Have to say Cetaphil..never helped me..and Clinique..all of their products were the pits for me...I do like Neutrogena & Philosophy.

For me I didn't like:

Avon - My skin turned red and chapped within 2 days;

Lancome - Too much scent.

I like:

Philosophy

Dermalogica

Worst:

Cetaphil

Clinique

Avon

Middle of the Road:

Lancome

Clean & Clear

Prescriptives

Shiseido Pureness

Best:

Philosophy Acne Kit

Neutrogena

Originally Posted by allisong Worst
biggrin.gif
efinitely stay away from Clinique..Horrible..Also MaryKay's Time wise system & Cetaphil(I'm one of the few I guess that thinks it sucks)
Best:Well I use a Rx cleanser as I have seborrheic dermatitis..Still looking for a moisturizer I like

I totally agree with you on the clinique, but i loooovvve mary kay timewise, though. i mean- i have about 10 pieces of their skin care and i use EVERY product I have almost every day. my skin hasnt looked this great since i was 19!!!

Current issue of InStyle magazine (April 06) posted 163 Best Beauty Buys range from sunscreens to self-tanners, concealers and shampoo. .

I will try to scan the condensed version and attache the file..

Latest posts

Back