Best and worse skincare line/products

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been asked, but i'm curious of what is everyone's favorite and least favorite skincare line or products you have used. here's mine: Worst ever ahhhhh: clinique's 3 step skincare... i cant believe its still in stores. shouldnt they ban this by now. Some estee lauder products Aura Science sold at vs. (at first i thought i liked it till it dried out my skin terribly) Clean & Clear St. Ive's don't really have favorites but these work ok for me: Aveda's all sensitive line Neutrogena deep clean Cetaphil cleanser (so gentle) Sucks cuz all products irritaate me. I hate my sensitive skin.

I've never tried Clinique skin care because of all the negative feedback. I've been pretty lucky, I've never had any major problems with anything I've ever used except that one time I used Lava soap to wash my face, argggh, long story that I'll save for another day. Anyways, my favorite right now is the Dr Brandt line, I'm SO totally impressed with the results that I'm giddy
icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted by maiho I'm not sure if this has been asked, but i'm curious of what is everyone's favorite and least favorite skincare line or products you have used. here's mine:
Worst ever ahhhhh:

clinique's 3 step skincare... i cant believe its still in stores. shouldnt they ban this by now.

Some estee lauder products

Aura Science sold at vs. (at first i thought i liked it till it dried out my skin terribly)

Clean & Clear

St. Ive's

don't really have favorites but these work ok for me:

Aveda's all sensitive line

Neutrogena deep clean

Cetaphil cleanser (so gentle)

Sucks cuz all products irritaate me. I hate my sensitive skin.

I've stayed away from Clinique as well since hearing all the negative reviews surrounding it...they sound horrible!
icon_eek.gif

I thankfully haven't had too many horror stories with skincare products.

I'm a really big fan of Mario Badescu's skincare. I haven't really found a product from that line that I dislike yet.

Worst
biggrin.gif
efinitely stay away from Clinique..Horrible..Also MaryKay's Time wise system & Cetaphil(I'm one of the few I guess that thinks it sucks)

Best:Well I use a Rx cleanser as I have seborrheic dermatitis..Still looking for a moisturizer I like

Originally Posted by maiho I'm not sure if this has been asked, but i'm curious of what is everyone's favorite and least favorite skincare line or products you have used. here's mine:
Worst ever ahhhhh:

clinique's 3 step skincare... i cant believe its still in stores. shouldnt they ban this by now.

Aura Science sold at vs. (at first i thought i liked it till it dried out my skin terribly)

Clean & Clear

St. Ive's

don't really have favorites but these work ok for me:

Aveda's all sensitive line

Neutrogena deep clean

Cetaphil cleanser (so gentle)

The worst I've tried are: Sundari, some Estee Lauder stuff (some are ok), Cetaphil, Clinique, some Clarins stuff really clogged my pores and irritated my sensitive skin and so did Chanel. My favorite ones are: Avene, Christian Dior, Fannie and Lumene. I'm interested in trying some Mario Badescu products. I've heard so many good things about the line.

Essential fatty acids (EFA's) are often insufficient in inflammatory skin conditions including psoriasis, eczema & seborrheic dermatitis. Evening Primrose Oil & organic virgin coconut oil & (sorry, vegans) high quality emu oil, & jojoba oils are the most effective topically & internally. Fanie's Protein Creme is going to be your next best friend, after the White Oak Cleansing Cream that has essential oil lavendar in it to calm & soothe inflammation. Also check out Dr. Sandra Cabot's web site, www.drcabot.com & learn about the liver's function in many external skin flare-ups. www.tropicaltraditions.com & www.drmercola.com are other sites to research.

I used Clinique 3 step for awhile, and didn't have any major problems with it. I keep hearing rants about it, but I didn't think it was that bad. It helped clear up my skin when I first started using it. I have since found better things though.

I think Nivea has soom nice cleansers. Neutrogena has been hit and miss for me. The deep cleaning line is ok, but I didn't like the Pore Refining products. I also didn't like Purpose cleanser.

I'm currently using an Origins cleanser that I like (never a dull moment) but I'm not that crazy about their toners. I tried some of their products for oily skin in the past, and these are only for super oily skin! I have realized that my skin is not as oily as I thought!

I recently had a dermalogica facial, and their products seem nice. I'm trying out a few samples. But, these are pretty expensive so I'm not sure I can afford full-size products anyway!

Originally Posted by allisong Worst
biggrin.gif
efinitely stay away from Clinique..Horrible..Also MaryKay's Time wise system & Cetaphil(I'm one of the few I guess that thinks it sucks)
Best:Well I use a Rx cleanser as I have seborrheic dermatitis..Still looking for a moisturizer I like

I've always been curious about thePrincipal Secret line..Which products do you recommend?Do you know if they contain silicone?

Originally Posted by wyntyr My worst products are: Noxema! Estee Lauder skincare products are way overpriced. Much better products on the market for way less! Best: Principal Secret products are absolutely fabulous! Very high quality and immediately made a huge difference in my skin. Merle Norman skincare is really under rated and is excellent! Joan RIvers skincare line (Results) eyecream is THE best eye cream I have ever tried! Beauticontrols' platinum line is superb! Avon also has some of the best skincare on the market and for really cheap $$$'s!

Worst ever ahhhhh:

Clean & Clear

St. Ive's

I hear ya - I have sensitive skin, too.
The WORST was Noxema -bad, bad stuff! It depletes your skin of oils, dries it, so that your skin produces more oils and you look oily, and then cycle continues. Horrible experience!

My main cleanser is Clean and Clear for Sensitive skin. I've tried lots of other products over the years, up until I was about 15/16. Clean and Clear was the first thing that worked for me as an everyday cleanser.

I've heard good things about St. Ives Apricot stuff, though I haven't used it.
frown.gif

I want to try Aveeno and Nivea, after all the good I have heard.
smile.gif

St. Ives best for men w/tougher skin. Natural seasalt is best as it melts or for Cleoptra types, make a 50/50 scrub mix of organic brown rice flour & organic whole milk powder, put in jam jar & use 2 - 3 times a week in summer, 1 - 2 in winter.

Originally Posted by maph allisong what exactly is your sebhorric dermititis like? The reason I ask is because I have the same thing. I have a bad rash that just never goes away and is itchy a lot. I have been to numerous derm dr and all they do is prescribe creams which do not help. how about you? Well,when it flared up I have these red,itchy,flakey,inflamed patches usually on my cheeks and close to my nose..I was misdiagnosed as having Rosacea(I suppose because i have some broken cappilaries) at which time I was using Metrogel which did nothing for me but made my face raw..Now I use a face cleanser call Plexion which has cleared my face up beautifully(unless I try something that has silicone,jojoba oil or alcohol in it)I also use BHA everyother day and AHA once a week.

Originally Posted by maph allisong what exactly is your sebhorric dermititis like? The reason I ask is because I have the same thing. I have a bad rash that just never goes away and is itchy a lot. I have been to numerous derm dr and all they do is prescribe creams which do not help. how about you? Welcome to MuT, maph! It's great to see you here!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Best: Neutrogena by far

Worst: The DHC skin care line which I have come up with several new names for.. . including: "Montezuma's Revenge", "DHC Zit Factory" and "Pork Chops for the Face."

Originally Posted by Californian Best: Neutrogena by farWorst: The DHC skin care line which I have come up with several new names for.. . including: "Montezuma's Revenge", "DHC Zit Factory" and "Pork Chops for the Face."

You made me sniggle

Originally Posted by betterat40 I'm 42 and have combo olive skin. I use Neutrogena Pore Refining Cleanser and love Nivea's CoQ10 Eye cream. The "power hitters" for me are my Retin-A (every other night), my C+ Firming Serum (every AM) and spot wrinkle treatment (crow's feet, frown lines) with Relaxaline. The last two I have been using for just a couple of months but they seem to be working so well. (Only online at www.cellularskin.rx.com).
I agree that Clinique's 3-step products need a major overhaul. Very irritating. I also have found the L'Oreal products to be useless. Expensive and don't seem to do anything. My cheapie favorites are the Nivea eye cream, the St. Ives exfoliating apricot scrub, those rough bathing gloves, and the Sally Hansen One minute manicure (like a sugar scrub).

Note to self: Another vote for Neutrogena skin care!! Yeah!!!

mutbanner38.gif

I'm loving the oily skin sensitive skin cleanser from Neutrogena. My breakouts disappeared after I started using it.

thats great advice Reija! I have very oily skin but also sensitive, so I am passing by the store today and getting me some of this.

Originally Posted by naturally I think I've just about tried them all ..being a nut about my skin care ...wanting something good. I started using the Arbonne products just after I started using their hormone cream. Up until then I had never found anything as nice as their products. Pick one ..they are all awesome. I love the fact that they don't harsh petrochemicals or alcohols ...they are botanically based and for the first time my dry patches were gone! Fine lines and wrinkles ....getting finer and finer and going!
My favorite though is the enzyme mask ...it's like having a chemical peel but w/o the chemicals ...from papaya enzymes! WOW ..it makes my face red at first ..but that tones down within minutes and after so many days using it ..it doesn't really happen as much.

I tried using Strivectin ...read a bunch about it ..but my face felt like an oil slick and was using napkins to wipe it off ..it was so yucky feeling.

Was a Clinique person for a long time ...but face just got dryer and dryer.

I'll stick with my Arbonne products. I might try something else ..provided it doesn't have mineral oils or other harsh things in it.

How much does the papaya enzme mask cost? What kind of skin is it recommended for? Tx
wink.gif

I dont know to be honest. Ive tried a sample of Mario Badescu's skincare & i quite liked that.. Ye should check out the site & fill in the questionnaire & they will send you samples of products to try. They even ship INTERNATIONALLY!!

Originally Posted by naturally Arbonne's Thermal Fusion Enzyme Mask is $20.50 ...here is the writeup for it: This highly advanced, water-activated masque improves skin texture, clarity and firmness. It's a natural, safe, non-abrasive alternative to harsh chemical peels. The secret is Papain, an enzyme found at its purest in green, unripened papaya, which helps remove dead skin cells by dissolving proteins. It gets beneath the surface of the skin to clean and exfoliate without harming healthy cells. A proprietary skin care innovation, Thermal Fusion stimulates circulation, penetration and enzyme activity for up to 45 minutes. Recommended for nighttime usage only, after cleansing and before toning.

It's not recommended for acne or sensitive skin types though. I have a coworker that has some acne and uses it ..she even has sensitive skin ...she doesn't use it as often ..but loves it. There is a reason you DON'T use in day ...it makes your face BEET red ..but that lasts maybe 10 - 20 mins. I put on a good night time moisturirzer afterwards. And the tube lasts quite sometime too.

Thanks for the info! I am considering it. It is kind of scary that it turns your face so red, but I am sure a chemical peel does the same! Do you personally think it helps scars (smooths facial skin)?
Ty

eebanner6.gif

Latest posts

Back