Best Drugstore Makeup!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by tooglamorous /img/forum/go_quote.gif If you or anyone else is THAT poor that seriously pathetic lol mac eyeshadow costs 14.50 per shadow....come on if you can't afford that, thats funny. Yes price always says whats good and whats not, if it wasn't good it wouldn't be expensive...ask anyone who knows real makeup and they will tell you MAC is 30 times better than anything you can buy in a drugstore...it's more highly pigmented, thats why it's so popular, because it's good....anyone who says its not is poor, idiots or just don't want to make poor people feel bad. Wet n Wild is slutty and trashy and well for trashy people....so i guess it fits you well, no wonder you like it. Wow, was that really necessary? And 14.50 per eyeshadow does happen to be a lot of money if you want to have any sort of variety in your collection. I use at least 4 colors per look, so that's already $60+ for one look.
Also, $ does not always equal quality. Many people will attest to that. Especially in the world of make up, everyone's skin chemistry, skin tone, and texture is different and so the best product for everybody is going to be different.

Just going to put in a good word for a few of my favorites:

Eyebrow Powder WnW

Brushes Ecotools. These brushes are on par with some MAC ones I've used.

Blush The Milani Minerals Blush in Luminous is a dupe for NARS Orgasm, and its absolutely gorgeous and stays on wonderfully.

Primer Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel, definitely a great dupe for Smashbox (I used to use Smashbox)

All of the above are items I feel are good (aka. equal) substitutes for department store level brands (MAC, Urban Decay, Smashbox, etc). Everything else, I would really look into a department store level brand to get the best results.

Originally Posted by tooglamorous /img/forum/go_quote.gif If you or anyone else is THAT poor that seriously pathetic lol mac eyeshadow costs 14.50 per shadow....come on if you can't afford that, thats funny. Yes price always says whats good and whats not, if it wasn't good it wouldn't be expensive...ask anyone who knows real makeup and they will tell you MAC is 30 times better than anything you can buy in a drugstore...it's more highly pigmented, thats why it's so popular, because it's good....anyone who says its not is poor, idiots or just don't want to make poor people feel bad. Wet n Wild is slutty and trashy and well for trashy people....so i guess it fits you well, no wonder you like it. Most of this person's posts are antagonistic; probably pathetically lonely.

I actually think MAC is one of the worst Dept. Store brands. Everything I've had from there has been disappointing. I paid £12 for an eyeshadow and I have to scrub at it hard to get anything on my e/s brush and the colour is hardly pigmented. I've had better Rimmel e/s!

I like MAC's lipglass and that's about it. The foundations are rubbish and break most people out and end up a greasy mess on most people's faces.

Clinique is crappy too as is Elizabeth Arden (old lady anyone?!)

I'd choose drugstore over high end anyday. Revlon Colourstay is probably the best long wearing foundation you can get unless you spend £30 from Nars or Laura Mercier!

Wait ... how many accounts do you have exactly? The account that responded isn't the account that I addressed.

Originally Posted by Nessicle /img/forum/go_quote.gif Revlon Colourstay is probably the best long wearing foundation you can get unless you spend £30 from Nars or Laura Mercier! I think this is definitely YMMV. Revlon CS definitely has great endurance, but I found it too heavy and 'cakey' for my tastes and I really prefer MUFE HD to it. Its just as much coverage, but goes on much smoother and doesn't flake/cake the way Revlon CS did for me.

i have to agree with the victoria secret lipglosses. those are gorgeous.

revlon's liquid eyeliner is great.

i'm still fumbling around for a foundation i truly like.

I like a lot of drugstore makeup but don't have too many must-have favorites. I only added two - and these are definite must haves for me!

Foundation - Maybelline Superstay 24 hr

Mascara - Rimmel Glam'Eyes and L'Oreal Voluminous

Originally Posted by mirandaugh /img/forum/go_quote.gif I like a lot of drugstore makeup but don't have too many must-have favorites. I only added two - and these are definite must haves for me!
Foundation - Maybelline Superstay 24 hr

Mascara - Rimmel Glam'Eyes and L'Oreal Voluminous

I'm really curious about superstay 24 hr, but the ad kind of scares me. plus, the bottle seems kind of annoying.

Originally Posted by Bonsaitea /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm really curious about superstay 24 hr, but the ad kind of scares me. plus, the bottle seems kind of annoying. I personally love it. The ad is just an extreme example if you're talking about the stretchy band haha. I find it feels very light, and if you pick the right shade (as with any foundation), I totally forget I'm wearing it. It does not rub off at all and blends really well. I really recommend it. I don't mind the bottle too much (pumps bother me more because they always clog on me). It can be hard to get the product out, but I just turn it upside down and let it trickle down to the cap a little so that when I turn it back over the product is right near the top waiting for me (then I pour a bit on a sponge). Hope that helps
smile.gif

Foundation: Maybelline Instant Age Rewind [swear by it! Even though im younger, it hides imperfections, the color makes me look tan even though its ivory which is amazing, and it hides wrinkles, though i dont have many..lol..]

Powder: Covergirl Non-Scented Pressed powder [swear by it! It applies evenly and stays on all day!]

Concealor: Maybelline EverFresh [Looking for a new one.. this ones good but its liquid. I perfer stick. What i like about it is that it dries on the face like a stick..but that means you have to apply it fast! It is also kinda runny and can get messy.]

Tinted Moisturizer: Almay Pure Blends[This is a really good tinted moisturizer..its sheer and it smells good and its all natural.]

Eye Shadow: Avon Palettes [swear by it! It has really good pigments and they last all day! The only bad thing about them is that when you apply them, they drop little pieces on your face, and when you rub them off they get all over.]

Eyeliner: ELF Brightening eyeliner [swear by it! It glides on so easily and it stays all day! Just be careful not to rub your eyes because it smudges kinda easily.] / Jordana EasyLiner [Great colors! Glides on easily, just not on waterline. Also tends to smudge a LOT even without physical contact.]

Mascara: Maybelline Colossal [swear by it! It gets my lashes so long and thick, their beautiful! It holds the curl of my lashes so well! Barely any clumps. I cant go anywhere without this product..A MUST HAVE!]

Lipstick/Lipgloss: Dont currently have a favorite. I love any lipgloss that has the clicky bottom..those work soo much better then the squeezable tube ones or the wand ones.!

Powder Blush: Covergirl Cheekers [Glides on so well! Needs a proper brush though, the little brush in there just dosent cut it.]

Cream Blush: Maybelline Dream Mousse blush [swear by it! The color is so pretty, it has pretty spakles in it, and it goes on so well! Just be careful when putting it on..sometimes it can be uneven.. Use a brush it actually helps!]

Bronzer: Maybelline ExpertWear SolarEnergy [swear by it! I got this at some dollar + store, for a bargain too! And surprisigly it works sooooo well! It goes on so evenly and the color is natural and pretty. It has small flakes of glitter and makes you glow! ]

If anyone has any favorite brushes let me know ? I lost my brush set and its hard to do makeup with my fingers ): ): ):

Foundation: L'Oreal Paris: True Match Super Blendable Makeup

Powder: -

Concealer: -

Eye Shadow: Milani Runway Eyes

Mascara: CoverGirl LashBlast Mascara, or Maybelline GREAT LASH (Waterproof).

Lipstick/Lipgloss: Wet 'n' Wild Silk Finish lipsticks, Jordana INCOLOR lipglosses

Eyeliner: Rimmel London Soft Kohl Kajal Eye Liner Pencil, Hard Candy: Take Me Out! Eyeliner pencils and Jordana Easyliner Retractable Pencil for Eyes.

Originally Posted by OhhHeyJordan /img/forum/go_quote.gif If anyone has any favorite brushes let me know ? I lost my brush set and its hard to do makeup with my fingers ): ): ):

If you are looking for good quality brushes that are inexpensive, try Ecotools (available at Walmart). They are SO soft - softer than some of my MAC brushes. I also love their little travel sets. The quality of the sets are great (as soft as their regular-sized brushes) compared to some travel sets you buy where the company sometimes cheap out on quality. Ecotools are also 100% eco-friendly (bamboo handles, recycled alumininum ferrules, and synthetic hair), if you're into that sort of thing
smile.gif

^ definitely agree about the EcoTools. Great brand!

CoverGirl has always been a staple in my makeup bag - I love their mascaras! I also try to use brands that do not test on animals (basically if I'm deciding between two brands and one tests and one doesn't - I try to get the one that doesn't) which is why the majority of my makeup bag is CoverGirl and MAC.

Foundation - CoverGirl TruBlend or NYC Pressed Mineral Foundation

Powder - NYC Mineral Veil

Concealor - Only own No7 - is pretty good though

Eye Shadow - Sleek, i love this so much - probably the best eyeshadow i have ever used

Mascara - Sephora's own - i have 3 varieties and love all of them

Lipstick/Lipgloss - Boots Natural Collection - good colours and moisturising

Great thread

Foundation- Almay Smart Shade-No breakouts, blends so good, and cut so much time from my application

Concealer- Almay Line Smoothing- Same as above

Powder- Still looking

Blush- Milani Luminous- Great Orgasm knock off

Eyeliner- Almay Eyeliner- So longlasting and tug free, best for tightlining.

Eyeshadows- ELF quads- Only $1, they have good pigmentation, and pretty shimmer

Mascara- Maybelline Colossal Volume, Maybelline Unstoppable, WnW MegaLash, all formulas a great super thick and long lashes.

lipliner-Maybelline Expert Wear- Chestnut Brown

lipstick- Still looking

lipgloss- Elf glosses for sheer shade, L'oreal Hip for pigmented shades, both smell nice and look pretty.

Annabelle and Marcelle, both Canadian brands, have nice eyeshadows, blushes. NYX products and Maybelline full n' soft mascara.

The best foundation I have used by far is Revlon Colorstay. They have a wide selection if colors for every skin tone and it come in Normal/ Dry Skin or Combination/ Oily Skin. It lasts all day and can be worn with or without powder, the only things I do not like about it are the packaging ( It comes in a glass bottle) and it is quite hard to wash off.

For Tinted moisturizer the best ones I have used are by Physicians formula, they don't cause your skin to break out and they still give you enough coverage.

smile.gif

Revlon Super Lustrous lipgloss

Revlon Color Stay concealer

NYX single eyeshadows

GOSH Velvet Touch foundation primer and waterproof pencil eyeliners

Annabelle eyeshadows

Quo makeup brushes

Foundation:

This is one I still use, Dream Matte Mouse from Maybelline, only now I also use it under Hello Flawless from Benefit. It's creamy and super pigmented. It just glides on, perfect coverage. You can apply it with a flat foundation brush, a sponge, just your fingers, or if you want to cover dark circles or acne you can apply it on spot with a brush. The only problem I can foresee would be if you have especially dry skin, then it balls up and just makes a mess, so apply it right after moisturizer.

Powder:

I don't use it often, but for when I'm going to a dance and need lasting coverage I'll swirl Coty Air Spun powder on with a kabuki brush. It's a really old tried and true drug store brand from the 1920s or even earlier. It's a loose powder, so it isn't good for travel, and you have to be light with it. If you use a kabuki brush just dust it on and blend it in. It's one of those things you just need to experiment with.

Concealer:

I can't suggest anything because I have had awful experiences with concealer, but Maybelline's Dream Matte Mouse that I suggested up above works wonders as a concealer!

Eye Shadow:

I love the Loreal HIP shadows, although I haven't used any of the matte shadows, because generally I find any kind of matte shadow just has less pay off. Another brand of eye shadow I use a lot are the covergirl ones, they come as singles, trios, and quads. Tons of different colors. My favorite is the sunset pallet, I think thats it, theres a light sunny gold color, a warm tan, and a coffee brown.

Jemma Kidd by far has to be my favorite though, they're a bit pricier than other drugstore options, at 17 dollars a pop, but you definately won't be disapointed. The line is the only one that has pretty matte colors, that show up well. I'm gonna warn you though, I took it on a plane once when I first got into makeup, and didn't know any better. The eyeshadow just shattered, but that's expected. Anyway you can buy them at Target. I haven't bought anything of theirs in a while, but this is making me want to buy more!

Mascara:

I'm a little torn here, between Lash Blast and Lash Stiletto. Lash blast gives me an all around full and long look while Lash Stiletto has amazing definition, you can see them from yards away, not lying! Both are worth it! But, one thing, while they lengthen and volumize, they do not curl, so you might want to invest in a lash curler, E.L.F. sells them for one or three dollars, forgot the price. Maybe a mix of mascaras would be key, to get the benefits from all of them.

Of course the Max Factor colored mascara is really cool, but don't count on it being available in stores, the Max Factor brand is being pulled from the US.

Lipstick/Lipgloss:

Oh I am the lipstick QUEEN! I have seventeen of them, and let me tell you, the best lipstick I have EVER bought was Rimmel London Moister Renew Lipstick, I'm sure you've seen them before, the metalic purple lipsticks? Well they are are lovely as they look. Not a huge color selection, but that wasn't a problem for me because I just wanted their fire engine red color. This is the perfect lipstick. It's smooth, creamy, there was no feathering, even without lip liner. I wore it out to dinner and a show, and never reapplied it one. This lipstick lasted through ginger ale and pizza, without loosing one bit of color, even in the center, where I usually have to reapply all the time. When I came home my mom asked if I'd just reapplied my lipstick, and I hadn't once hat whole night. It's also extremely moisterizing! It's almost like chapstick!

Lipgloss is a bit trickier, I'm much more opf a lipstick girl, but I love E.L.F.'s lipglosses, when I want to wear a more natural look thats what I reach for. Not a huge color selection but at 1 dollar you can't go wrong.

Blush: I loveeeee Dream Mousse from Maybelline, it's really pretty, with a slight shimmer, and super creamy. It just looks really dewy.

Brushes: I'm pretty much agreeing with everyone here, go for eco tools, but I'm also gonna suggest E.L.F. brushes. They're great, most are one dollar, but their studio line costs about three. Another brand you should seriously think about is the Sonia Kashuk brush line in Target, those are amazing.

Latest posts

Back