Biggest Regret (make up wise!)..

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So girls, whats you biggest regret make up wise. You can describe a look that turned out horrible or it can be a product that you thought would be fantastic & wasn't etc.. Whats your biggest regret, make up wise?!

Originally Posted by Laura

So girls, whats you biggest regret make up wise. You can describe a look that turned out horrible or it can be a product that you thought would be fantastic & wasn't etc.. Whats your biggest regret, make up wise?!

GOOD THREAD LAURA, come on girls, lets post them up.
For me, Cle de pau makeup powder was supposed to be the HG, but ended up being so crappy and totally NOT worth the price. You have to buy the CASE and the power separately. They are all "alacart" ones....

Hmmm, might have to cogitate about this one. One pf my big product mistakes is NARS sin blush, to dark and too shimmery for me, that's why it's on my swap list.

I have had some hideous foundations in my time particularly a Clarins one I got when I was about 17 which made me look orange
icon_redface.gif
. I was young and naive and listened to the SA who said it would warm up my skin tone but it just made my face look dirty 'cos it was the wrong shade.

What really freaks me out is that I fell for the same trick about 3 years later at the Calvin Klein (whatever happened to CK cosmetics) counter in Rackhams, I don't know why but I found myself being convinced that having foundation was about changing the colour of your skin and not matching it and evening out imperfections.

Oh, and now I've remembered the NARS Cancan eyeshadow (it was just after Moulin Rouge came out), I loved the bright purply plum colour in the pan, on my eyes it made me look like I'd been crying for a fortnight
icon_cry.gif

I'm sure I have more disasters, I think I must've repressed them
icon_eek.gif

Let me see...the one thing that immediately leaps to mind is my standard makeup look in the 80's: sky blue shimmery eyeshadow, blue mascara, and super light shimmery pink lipstick. It was bad enough on girls of average complexion, but on my dark coloring, it was hideous! But, that's what was cool then, so I did it.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Let's not even go into the asymmetrical haircut...

Something more recent was when I tried to join in on the green eyeshadow bandwagon. I knew it could look good on me, as I'd seen it on other women of color. But I never knew what specific brand or shade they were wearing. I experimented with several different shades and they all looked sick on me. Now, after viewing Trish's notepad, I see MAC is the way to go!!! I've also had very bad luck with eyebrow pencils. I end up looking like a drag queen or Cruella Deville, then the pigment just melts off by mid-afternoon. I much prefer brow powder.

Originally Posted by glamslam sky blue shimmery eyeshadow, blue mascara, and super light shimmery pink lipstick. That look is back for spring/summer '05 maybe it's time to revist it
icon_smile.gif

LOL - I did the 80's blue eyeshadow too... HORRIBLE! lol I also remember when I was experimenting with 'nude' lipsticks... I got one that I thought looked so "mod" but after seeing myself in a picture, all that came to mind was CORPSE! Ugh! That went in the garbage quick!
cool.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I also remember when I was experimenting with 'nude' lipsticks... I got one that I thought looked so "mod" but after seeing myself in a picture, all that came to mind was CORPSE! Ugh! That went in the garbage quick!
cool.gif
I remember giving the smoky eyed, nude lip, mod look a try. I ended up looking like someone had punched me in both eyes and cut my lips off.
eek.gif

Originally Posted by Lealabell I remember giving the smoky eyed, nude lip, mod look a try. I ended up looking like someone had punched me in both eyes and cut my lips off.
eek.gif
C'mon Lea! That's HOT! LOL
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 C'mon Lea! That's HOT! LOL
tongue.gif
yeah, the men were queing up and paying money to see me. They thought I was a real life version of the living dead!

Originally Posted by Lealabell yeah, the men were queing up and paying money to see me. They thought I was a real life version of the living dead! We could've been one of Joy's MU 'Cadavers' !! LoL
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Oh! I just remembered something!
icon_wink.gif

I had a "goth" phase for 3 years, at the end of high school. But we didn't call it "goth" then, I don't remember what we called it...wavers? skaters? punks? a little of all of those. Anyway, I don't regret the look, it was actually really cool, but what I regret is that I didn't feel good about myself and never had any pictures taken during that time. I had very low self-esteem and was really insecure. I guess I drifted into that group so I'd have more of an identity. It's too bad there's no pix since I would love to revisit those times now that I'm older.

Originally Posted by glamslam Oh! I just remembered something!
icon_wink.gif
I had a "goth" phase for 3 years, at the end of high school. But we didn't call it "goth" then, I don't remember what we called it...wavers? skaters? punks? a little of all of those. Anyway, I don't regret the look, it was actually really cool, but what I regret is that I didn't feel good about myself and never had any pictures taken during that time. I had very low self-esteem and was really insecure. I guess I drifted into that group so I'd have more of an identity. It's too bad there's no pix since I would love to revisit those times now that I'm older.

well, break out that dark makeup and get on that road to memory lane! That would be cool to see! LOL
icon_cheesygrin.gif

About revisiting the baby blue e/s and frosty pink lips--no way! I have GOT to borrow a scanner from someone so you can see my school pictures! You would die...wedge haircut (curly, no less) highlighted with Sun-In to a nice orange brassy hue, thick bushy eyebrows, a satiny oversized shirt buttoned all the way to the top with a sparkly jeweled brooch at the neck, and all that beautiful pastel makeup on my smirking face. *shudder*
icon_rolleyes.gif

Or how about the 90's...matte, powdery face, no blush, everything neutral colors, eyeliner and mascara on the top only, dark red or brown matte lipstick with severe lipliner, and slightly less bushy brows. Think Beverly Hills 90210. eeeek!
icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted by glamslam About revisiting the baby blue e/s and frosty pink lips--no way! I have GOT to borrow a scanner from someone so you can see my school pictures! You would die...wedge haircut (curly, no less) highlighted with Sun-In to a nice orange brassy hue, thick bushy eyebrows, a satiny oversized shirt buttoned all the way to the top with a sparkly jeweled brooch at the neck, and all that beautiful pastel makeup on my smirking face. *shudder*
icon_rolleyes.gif

Or how about the 90's...matte, powdery face, no blush, everything neutral colors, eyeliner and mascara on the top only, dark red or brown matte lipstick with severe lipliner, and slightly less bushy brows. Think Beverly Hills 90210. eeeek!
icon_eek.gif

Oh.... sounds all too familiar!
icon_eek.gif

I think the worst for me was when I was in 7th grade, I had this Cover Girl eyeshadow trio I loved - it were shimmery browns, which look good on me, but I just wore them wrong. I loved the darkest brown shade in it, and of course I had to wear it without liner and mascara
eek.gif
Horrible!

Looking back now, I'd have to say it was in the 7th grade when I first started wearing make-up. (back in the early 80's) I wore a frosty, pale blue eyeshadow on the lid and a frosty, pale pink up to my brow and I can even remember that it was by Maybelline. The sad part is, I thought I looked good. Tsk, tsk.

I regret using foundation too early... I started in about 7th grade and wore it quite heavily until about 2 years ago. Now I wear TM or Studiofix (lightly) or the Shu foundation base on its own (it's tinted).

Also, in the 8th grade, one of my friends wore face powder that was too dark for her skin. I thought it was cool, and did the same thing. Dumb. My 8th grade version of bronzer.
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by wongy74 I regret using foundation too early... I started in about 7th grade and wore it quite heavily until about 2 years ago. Now I wear TM or Studiofix (lightly) or the Shu foundation base on its own (it's tinted).
Also, in the 8th grade, one of my friends wore face powder that was too dark for her skin. I thought it was cool, and did the same thing. Dumb. My 8th grade version of bronzer.
tongue.gif

I look back at pictures of me in middle school and wish I had started wearing concealor sooner!!

Ok my biggest regret is probably the blue eyeshadow too! Or else when i discovered pale lips i bought this rimmel lipstick that the most nudest thing every (almost concealer colour) and i used to use that on my lips every day! CRINGE ALERT thinking of it now!

Originally Posted by Laura Ok my biggest regret is probably the blue eyeshadow too! Or else when i discovered pale lips i bought this rimmel lipstick that the most nudest thing every (almost concealer colour) and i used to use that on my lips every day! CRINGE ALERT thinking of it now! Anyone from the UK remember Rimmel "Candle-lit beige" powder foundation? It seemed to look orange on everyone. All the "common" girls in our school wore it and they looked awful.

Latest posts

Back