Birchbox August 2016 Sample Choice **Spoilers**

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My box updated this morning:

image.png

Not too bad, I'll use everything. I'm sure the Coola will be small. My sample choice was the dry shampoo paste, but looks like I'm also getting the wave spray. Which is fine with me, but I wonder if everyone will get two of the sample choices? Wipes are great, always practical. Curious about what the palette will consist of?

yeah... I am getting the dry shampoo paste (my choice) and beauty protector oil. It seems kind of a cop out "you will get two CUSTOMIZED hair samples this month!" when in reality it seems to be "YOU WILL GET TWO OF OUR THREE SAMPLE CHOICES THIS MONTH AND YOU CHOOSE ONE" meh.

I am also getting the Mana Kadar shadow palette (guessing just one), a Ren emulsion moisturizer thing and Avene Micellar water. Not a terrible box, but nothing that made me break out into a smile either.

And yes- I got that Coola primer last month- small tube with like ~1 use in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OOT but BB shop has a new Korean Beauty kit. All are full sized and is sold for $35.

They are all makeup thou, there is not even a sheet mask.

R+Co Dry Paste - My sample choice, exited to try this!

Laura Geller Luster Lip Gloss - So over sticky/shiny lip products.

Manna Kadar Palette - Hopeful this will have good colors (it's showing as out of stock on the website though).

Acure Cleansing Towelettes - Kinda meh about this since you usually get like one to try.

Oribe Anti-Humidity Spray - I like sampling Oribe products so I'm hopeful about this. 

They don't seem to be stepping up their game like I thought they would. 

bb.png

the Oribe humidity spray is amazing. I wish I got that instead of more hair oil- would be great to have a travel size. I have the full size and it really helps my hair stay in tact when in humidity

R+Co Dry Paste - My sample choice, exited to try this!

Laura Geller Luster Lip Gloss - So over sticky/shiny lip products.

Manna Kadar Palette - Hopeful this will have good colors (it's showing as out of stock on the website though).

Acure Cleansing Towelettes - Kinda meh about this since you usually get like one to try.

Oribe Anti-Humidity Spray - I like sampling Oribe products so I'm hopeful about this.

They don't seem to be stepping up their game like I thought they would.
Box twins! Don't lose hope on the Accure wipes - they were in the curated box this month, and I think I saw somewhere that it was a pack of 12 wipes of something.

(I really hope I'm not making that up.)

Chose the curated box to avoid the hair samples I didn't want. Cheat shows a random box that has the oil and the dry shampoo.

Guess I'll be emailing them...

My box this month:

Manna Kadar Cosmetics Day-Dream Palette - Excited about this product the most this month!

R + Co BADLANDS Dry Shampoo Paste - Not too sure about a dry shampoo paste, but an interesting product none the less to try out

Balance Me Congested Skin Serum - Not too excited about this one

Beauty Protector Protect & Oil - Was my PYS this month, have tried before and liked it

Vasanti BrightenUp! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator - Have tried this before and liked it as well

I got the curated box yesterday in the mail, which was a total surprise since I didn't receive an email that it was sent this month.  

I love the LP hair oil. I already have the Beauty Protector & love it, so a travel size is great.

I tried the Stila lipstick and it's much darker than I had expected and it dries down to a stain that I had to scrub to get off my lips.  Not sure about it.

I'm excited to try the Hum powder but haven't yet.  It's something new and different at least, right?

The facial wipes will get used.  

The only miss that I have already tried in the past and won't use at all is the Marcelle BB glow.

I also ordered the featured box for August and the two CEW boxes. My box looks like it was kicked in and my Micellar water completely leaked all over my boxes.

IMG_1684.JPGIMG_1685.JPGIMG_1687.JPGIMG_1688.JPGIMG_1689.JPGIMG_1690.JPG

I've emailed Birchbox. Luckily everything else was not damaged (except for packaging) and anything I was going to pass along or trade is in good, tradable condition.  

I had to throw out all the cute boxes though since they were a soggy mess.

Sorry to hear about what happened @@Bizgirlva about your boxes you ordered (especially agreeing on you with about having to throw out the boxes, they do look really cute!), luckily Birchbox has some of the better costumer service out there.

Anyways I picked up my August box today when I shipped out the circular swap box, I was surprised it was already in my po box!

Here is a quick rundown on my thoughts so far about the products I received:

Balance Me Congested Skin Serum - Happy that the sample isn't too small as I really like this serum so far. Even though it has a heavy scent (but a lovely one of lemon and lavender!), it claims to be 99% natural so I will give it a go on my face (perfumed products tend to break me out). It has a milky consistency but not too thick, so would still need to moisturize afterwards. And I am all for something if it can soothe my skin!

Beauty Protector Protect & Oil - I have sampled this before and really loved it, I also now recall how nice is smells! Does everything it claims (adds shine, manages frizz, helps damaged hair)

Vasanti Brighten Up! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator - I have also tried this out too I believe, and judging on the back of my hand and memory, this is a nice mircodermabrasion scrub!

R + Co Badlands Dry Shampoo Paste - What a find! I had little hopes on this guy, but this product is actually amazing. Today I actually had second day hair so I got to try this out right away. First thing the smell is amazing (reminds me of how some Aveda products smell), and the packaging for the sample is also super cute. The texture when you swirl your finger in the jar reminds me of deodorant in a way, but it is also pretty creamy. I took a little out with my finger and rubbed it into the part of my hair. It gave off tones of volume to my fine hair and did soak up a little bit of oil as well

Manna Kadar Eyeshadow in Fantasy- So I wasn't sure what this was going to be as the full-size is a palette, but was surprised (and happy) to see that instead of a little quad (like the Costal Scents Revealed Palette samples), it is more of a full-sized eyeshadow single. The color is a beautiful champagne/taupe/rose-gold (is a hard to describe color, very unique), and the texture is super creamy. On the info card Birchbox gave the tip of also using this as a highlighter/blush, which I think would also work out really well! Really love this product, would probably buy the palette on Birchbox if I wasn't in the middle of trying to declutter my collection

Super happy about my box this month! Wasn't too sure about it when the reveals went up, but sometimes you just got to get the products in your hands to see how good they are ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Got my curated box today, I like the Stila Patina lippy but like @@LuckyMoon says, you have to scrub to get it off. And the Acure wipes smell nice, I love the coconut scent. The living proof oil and bp leave in conditioner will get used because I love beauty protector and the living proof sounds really interesting, its the first time I've ever heard of it so I hope its as good as the reviews say. I've been looking for that Manna Kadar Fantasy shadow for MONTHS, kind of thinking that I'm going to sign up for a second box to try to get it, since swapping on here seems more relegated to the swap box these days. But if I had to pick between the Manna Kadar and the Marcelle bb cream that I got, I'd go with the Marcelle, its the only bb cream that I can use because it matches my skin tone and blends well with my foundation. Not too sure about what I'm going to do with that HUM powder though, I'm so not interested in it at all. I'm super surprised that the curated boxes seem to be arriving super early this month. I love it when they surprise us like that :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

And @@Bizgirlva, so sorry about your boxes, half the reason I order LE boxes is for the actual box that contains everything. I can't remember the last time bb messed up like this for me so I hope they can really make it up to you. I know one year they kept sending me the wrong orders and they actually let me keep their mistakes while trying to send me the right stuff. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Such a bummer that your boxes arrived liked that @Bizgirlva. Hopefully they can do something for you. I received a regular order from them today and it was packaged very well. Maybe they have a different logistic system for regular orders vs the monthly boxes and curated boxes.

My box usually updates by now... still nothing.  What a bummer.  I really end up looking forward to seeing what is in it the days leading up to shipping.  

On a side note, my Play! box was charged to my account so I am looking forward to watching what comes with that.

My box arrived.

Manna Kadar - I'm one of the few whose sample was not smashed.  It's a rather cute bronzer/highlighter that I could pop in my purse.

Badlands dry shampoo- it seemed to work. I was afraid that it might not work with my hair type.

Benefit Brow pencil- meh.  Getting really sick of the tiny Barbie sized samples.

Acure wipes- I hope these won't cause breakouts.

BP oil- I don't really need oil but love the smell of BP so I will try to make this work somehow.

My box arrived.

Manna Kadar - I'm one of the few whose sample was not smashed.  It's a rather cute bronzer/highlighter that I could pop in my purse.

Badlands dry shampoo- it seemed to work. I was afraid that it might not work with my hair type.

Benefit Brow pencil- meh.  Getting really sick of the tiny Barbie sized samples.

Acure wipes- I hope these won't cause breakouts.

BP oil- I don't really need oil but love the smell of BP so I will try to make this work somehow.
So I've never been one to have sensitive skin (that I know of) but the Acure wipes irritated my skin--warm, "tingling" sensation around my eyes and it left my nose and cheeks red and irritated. I figured because these were vegan, organic, paraben free, sulfate free....etc. I wouldn't have any problems but I did. I had been using that Marcelle micellar water the past month which is for sensitive skin maybe I just got used to it. Anyone else have issues with the Acure wipes? I'd hate to not get to use them all because it's a huuuuge sample!

Back