• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to MakeUp Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Birchbox January Swaps

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG ladies I have to share this immediately. I did several trades for Beauty Protector Shampoo and Conditioners from Birchbox last month with several different MUT members. I just went to open one of the shampoos and the color and consistency and SMELL (which was the biggest give away) was completely different. This person obviously put a different shampoo in the bottle and traded it with me. I immediately went to to my other samples and compared them and they were all the same except this one which was a clear imposter. Ugggggh. I am so upset. Why would someone do this??????? I am just frustrated that I cannot figure out who it was since I traded with many people for this item and don't want to accuse anyone incorrectly. 
sadno.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by RenoFab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  OMG ladies I have to share this immediately. I did several trades for Beauty Protector Shampoo and Conditioners from Birchbox last month with several different MUT members. I just went to open one of the shampoos and the color and consistency and SMELL (which was the biggest give away) was completely different. This person obviously put a different shampoo in the bottle and traded it with me. I immediately went to to my other samples and compared them and they were all the same except this one which was a clear imposter. Ugggggh. I am so upset. Why would someone do this??????? I am just frustrated that I cannot figure out who it was since I traded with many people for this item and don't want to accuse anyone incorrectly. 
sadno.gif

People suck sometimes :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have been lucky so far :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

sadno.gif

OMG!!  I can't believe someone would do that.  Are all the conditioners the same?  That's nuts..

Quote: Originally Posted by KNT101184 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OMG!!  I can't believe someone would do that.  Are all the conditioners the same?  That's nuts..
Yes, I immediately went and looked at all the others I had gotten. I really love BP and the smell is why I mostly wanted to get extras. I compared all the samples I had gotten and the conditioners all seem to be ok, but the one shampoo was a clear fake. The BP shampoo has a light pink irridescent color and all the BP products have the same fragrance. The fake was a brownish grey color and had a drug store smell like maybe Pantene or something like that. I would like to say that one of my traders read my post and immediately wrote to me and assured me that her trade was the real deal. I did not suspect it was her bc I traded other BP products with her and they were all real. It was nice of her to reach out and this is helping me narrow down the culprit. 

Question is. Do I report them to MUT once I figure it out? 

Quote: Originally Posted by KNT101184 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, I immediately went and looked at all the others I had gotten. I really love BP and the smell is why I mostly wanted to get extras. I compared all the samples I had gotten and the conditioners all seem to be ok, but the one shampoo was a clear fake. The BP shampoo has a light pink irridescent color and all the BP products have the same fragrance. The fake was a brownish grey color and had a drug store smell like maybe Pantene or something like that. I would like to say that one of my traders read my post and immediately wrote to me and assured me that her trade was the real deal. I did not suspect it was her bc I traded other BP products with her and they were all real. It was nice of her to reach out and this is helping me narrow down the culprit. 

Question is. Do I report them to MUT once I figure it out? 

PM'ed you!  
smilehappyyes.gif

sadno.gif

I was burned once in the past trading on MUT and I think it is happening again -- the person I traded with said she would ship on Jan 28th and has not logged on since then, even though my package to her was delivered a week ago.  MUT trading is letting me down! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by Jeaniney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I was burned once in the past trading on MUT and I think it is happening again -- the person I traded with said she would ship on Jan 28th and has not logged on since then, even though my package to her was delivered a week ago.  MUT trading is letting me down! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
This makes me so sad!
icon_cry.gif

Are you going to report her???? You should. At least to protect us all. I always try to package things nicely, make sure to describe as accurately and negotiate a fare trade. For ppl to be taking advantage of us good MUT members is going to make this whole forum crumble. Can you tell I am really upset about my fake trade??? 
soap.gif

I really feel for ya'll who have been burned in trades. I like to think of makeuptalk as a safe place to trade, but unfortunately that isn't always the case. My recommendation definitely is to leave feedback on the buy/sell/trade forum so that other users can see and approach with caution. I don't think there's much we as moderators can do but if y'all want to talk about it at all don't hesitate to PM me or anyone else!

I hope everyone who has had a bad experience trading leaves them feedback stating so. I always check trader feedback, and ask those with no feedback if they will ship first. Granted, I haven't done THAT many trades, but I am lucky that they have all been good experiences so far

Are you going to report her???? You should. At least to protect us all. I always try to package things nicely, make sure to describe as accurately and negotiate a fare trade. For ppl to be taking advantage of us good MUT members is going to make this whole forum crumble. Can you tell I am really upset about my fake trade??? 
soap.gif

I gave her negative feedback.  I suppose I should have been more careful/selective. The person only had 1 positive feedback but no negative and I wanted to give her a chance, since we all started somewhere. I think from now on I'm only going to trade with people with 10+ feedback just to be careful, even though I know that excludes a lot of new people and that makes me sad!

Maybe I'll mail the thief a few more BB cream foil packets since she's so desperate and pathetic, ugh.

I was burned once in the past trading on MUT and I think it is happening again -- the person I traded with said she would ship on Jan 28th and has not logged on since then, even though my package to her was delivered a week ago.  MUT trading is letting me down! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I gave her negative feedback. I suppose I should have been more careful/selective. The person only had 1 positive feedback but no negative and I wanted to give her a chance, since we all started somewhere. I think from now on I'm only going to trade with people with 10+ feedback just to be careful, even though I know that excludes a lot of new people and that makes me sad! Maybe I'll mail the thief a few more BB cream foil packets since she's so desperate and pathetic, ugh.
I had this happen once to me, but I believe it was a different situation than yours. The lady I traded with had 4x the trades I did and all positive. I didn't post negative feedback because she was a long time member, had tons of trades, and suddenly stopped posting. I wonder if something happened in her life that made MUF take a back burner. I think a majority of the trades work perfectly but it is horrible when people are dishonest and make you wary of others. Some people that trade with new people have them ship first just to be sure. I've had many people that were new offer to do that when we've traded. Maybe that is another option for you.

Quote: Originally Posted by Charity1217 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had this happen once to me, but I believe it was a different situation than yours. The lady I traded with had 4x the trades I did and all positive. I didn't post negative feedback because she was a long time member, had tons of trades, and suddenly stopped posting. I wonder if something happened in her life that made MUF take a back burner.

I think a majority of the trades work perfectly but it is horrible when people are dishonest and make you wary of others. Some people that trade with new people have them ship first just to be sure. I've had many people that were new offer to do that when we've traded. Maybe that is another option for you.
Thanks for sharing your story -- I agree, most trades go flawlessly on here but I think some people just create an account, pop onto the website every now and then, organize a trade, and never think about it again. And some people are more deliberate and malicious (like the person who filled the Beauty Protector shampoo/conditioner with cheap shampoo).

The second situation I was describing upthread was actually resolved -- my package randomly showed up and had been sent a week after she had told me she would send it. Maybe she waited until she got her package before sending out mine or something, who knows.  I changed her negative feedback to neutral and described the situation. She hasn't logged on since the day we organized the trade so I doubt she cares either way. 

I like your suggestion to have newer accounts ship first and to hold off sending their package until I get a tracking number. I'm going to try that before I make a hard & fast 10+ feedback rule. Thanks!

Quote: Originally Posted by Charity1217 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had this happen once to me, but I believe it was a different situation than yours. The lady I traded with had 4x the trades I did and all positive. I didn't post negative feedback because she was a long time member, had tons of trades, and suddenly stopped posting. I wonder if something happened in her life that made MUF take a back burner.

I think a majority of the trades work perfectly but it is horrible when people are dishonest and make you wary of others. Some people that trade with new people have them ship first just to be sure. I've had many people that were new offer to do that when we've traded. Maybe that is another option for you.
Thanks for sharing your story -- I agree, most trades go flawlessly on here but I think some people just create an account, pop onto the website every now and then, organize a trade, and never think about it again. And some people are more deliberate and malicious (like the person who filled the Beauty Protector shampoo/conditioner with cheap shampoo).

The second situation I was describing upthread was actually resolved -- my package randomly showed up and had been sent a week after she had told me she would send it. Maybe she waited until she got her package before sending out mine or something, who knows.  I changed her negative feedback to neutral and described the situation. She hasn't logged on since the day we organized the trade so I doubt she cares either way. 

I like your suggestion to have newer accounts ship first and to hold off sending their package until I get a tracking number. I'm going to try that before I make a hard & fast 10+ feedback rule. Thanks!

WHAT?!!! Who did this? In situations such as that please come to me since I can look into the matter and see if there is a pattern. Unfortunately due to the fact that we wanted members to use the B/S/T to use the feedback system we've had several scammers fly under the radar. I'll make a general announcement but you CAN leave feedback outside the B/S/T except on new accounts with less than 15 posts and haven't been a member of MUT for at least five days.

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

WHAT?!!! Who did this? In situations such as that please come to me since I can look into the matter and see if there is a pattern. Unfortunately due to the fact that we wanted members to use the B/S/T to use the feedback system we've had several scammers fly under the radar. I'll make a general announcement but you CAN leave feedback outside the B/S/T except on new accounts with less than 15 posts and haven't been a member of MUT for at least five days.
It happened to @RenoFab

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenoFab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sadno.gif

Back