black to brown

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi guys i have black hair, do you think if i dye it blonde it will make it brown? i don't want to bleach it im just trying to lighten it. any suggestions? thanks

i'm not a hair expert, but if you're doing anything where you're bleaching your hair, i would really go to a salon. the drug store brand hair dyes are meant to dye hair in that color range. if you try to bleach your hair, it might turn orangey or brassy.

this is what i've read when people dye their hair too dark and want to lighten it. but i think it would apply to normally dark hair.

Hi nice to meet you Lindabear! I'm Jessica from Washington.
icon_smile.gif

Ok, introduction aside...PLEASE do not put blonde hair color/bleach on your hair!!! You will end up with fried orange hair!
icon_cry.gif
If you just want to lighten up to brown, try one of the new "high lift" hair colors that can take your hair 3 shades lighter and promise no brassiness. I use L'Oreal Les True Brunettes on my naturally very dark brown hair and I really like it. I can't remember the shade name at the moment...something like medium golden brown. It doesn't get my hair "medium golden brown" IMO it's a bit warmer not golden...but definetly not brassy. I have used it 3 or 4 times and I have consistently got good results. My only complaint is that it doesn't cover grays very well. That may not be an issue for you
wink.gif
Hey--try Clairol's website; it's very informative and can probably answer a lot of your questions. They have a newsletter to and send coupons all the time.

i agree don't use blonde dye to get your hair lighter i would call a salon and make a appt ... i did try once and and lets say i has orange coloredhair not cute at all

Originally Posted by sexysweets04 i agree don't use blonde dye to get your hair lighter i would call a salon and make a appt ... i did try once and and lets say i has orange coloredhair not cute at all Ever heard the quote "If you can't serve as a good example, then serve as a terrible warning?" LOL!!! Many of our faux pas can prevent a beauty blunder happening to someone else!
icon_lol.gif

Yeah... at home dyes won't give you dramatic results. Even if you buy the platinum blonde box... sorry to say - you won't be a blonde. If you have grey... and just use a dark brown on the roots, eventually it will all be dark brown when it grows out... BUT - nobody wants to wait years... so either try a higher lift color, like Jess mentioned, or call your salon for a consultation to see their options for lightening up a few levels.
wink.gif

Latest posts

Back