Blogger to Wordpress migration NOT easy lol!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

internetchick

Beauty Blogger
Reaction score
I think I am finally over the worst of it.

First, the domain transfer took way too long because the registrar for Fatcow had issues. They tried through someone else, and then BAM! went through fine.

Then, you know the easy import function in the Wordpress dashboard? Yeah, didn't work. There is a file converter online, but my Blogger backup file was too large and wouldn't convert. I spent a lot of time Googling, and found that if I imported to a free Wordpress blog on the Wordpress site and then uploaded, then the import went smooth. Then I had to export the file to a Wordpress format.

But that didn't work either LMAO!!

File was too large, so I had to export in chunks by date, and then do the comments. Chunk by chunk it was all imported. Phew!

Only now all of my tags were categories. *cries*!!!

I found a plugin that converted all the categories back to tags. Phew!

Now I have to go post by post fixing any minor formatting errors, and removing the pictures and reuploading them so they are hosted with me (during the import the photos were crunched and looked terrible).

AND I had to create my own theme because trying to edit the default theme with my images and widgets turned out to be a giant pain.

So there you have it lol. If you ever plan to go self hosted save yourself the trauma and start with Wordpress from the beginning.

When I went out looking for suggestions on blog platforms, Wordpress was overwhelmingly voted for. I'm glad I went with it now!

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

First, the domain transfer took way too long because the registrar for Fatcow had issues. They tried through someone else, and then BAM! went through fine.

Then, you know the easy import function in the Wordpress dashboard? Yeah, didn't work. There is a file converter online, but my Blogger backup file was too large and wouldn't convert. I spent a lot of time Googling, and found that if I imported to a free Wordpress blog on the Wordpress site and then uploaded, then the import went smooth. Then I had to export the file to a Wordpress format.

File was too large, so I had to export in chunks by date, and then do the comments. Chunk by chunk it was all imported. Phew!

Now I have to go post by post fixing any minor formatting errors, and removing the pictures and reuploading them so they are hosted with me (during the import the photos were crunched and looked terrible).

AND I had to create my own theme because trying to edit the default theme with my images and widgets turned out to be a giant pain.

So there you have it lol. If you ever plan to go self hosted save yourself the trauma and start with Wordpress from the beginning.

Your server was probably timing out because Fatcow has a PHP memory limit. You could try altering your .htaccess file. Here: http://drupal.org/node/29268

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The only issue I haven't been able to fix is getting Linkwithin to work. I tried the regular install and the instructions for if you get errors. It is the only thing not working at the moment. :/ I really want it back, as it helped a lot with traffic.

Have you tried the plugin install tool through the admin panel? If that didn't work, try downloading the plugin and FTPing it into your wp-content/plugins folder and installing it that way.

I downloaded it and uploaded the zip file through the Admin panel in the Plugin section, and that didn't work. I also downloaded the php file they had and put it in the plugins directory and installed it that way, and neither method worked. I uploaded the php file through the browser, will FTPing make a difference?

Have you tried searching for the plugin through the admin panel and clicking the button to install it automatically? No downloading required.

You're probably getting errors because the zip folder has a subfolder so it's messing up the install. Unzip it and upload the immediate folder containing the install files into your plugins directory and then go to your admin panel and activate it.

No problem lol! If I Google long enough I am sure I will stumble across the answer.

Hi everyone!

I have migrated a rather complex blog to WordPress with the help of cms2cms. The procedure was pretty fast, but this service moves only content, so I made the great effort to redesign my new blog and reorganized all the extensions. I have also started from plugin migration, but I got into trap and let it go. But finally, the  switching was smooth and I deep into the Wordpress blog running totally. 

I know I am about a year late for this, but I've been thinking about going self-hosted and migrating from blogger to WP is what's been holding me off this whole time. I am not very technical, so I am dreading the whole thing. I need a really simple tutorial to follow because I don't understand a thing!

Latest posts

Back