Chi vs. Other ceramic hair straightener

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I currently straighten my hair with this ceramic flat iron I bought at Sally Hansen Beauty Store..It cost me like $45..It worked great for me but after some time the plates started to turn black (almost like if something got burned) and I don't use anything on my hair when I use it. I've been thinking about buying a chi straightener..I've heard that it doesn't damage your hair and is the best stuff there..what do you think??
confused.gif

The one and only one I've used has been a Chi. I really like it. My daughter has one much less expensive that works good and hasn't damaged her hair at all. But, if she has the opportunity to use my Chi over hers, she does.

I have a chi flat iron and it is so awesome,worth the price.It also does my hair in half the time
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I would definetly recomed it!!!

Originally Posted by Charmaine My mom's coworker says she has this too and my mom is dying to try it! Can you ladies tell me how much it costs and where I can get it? I actuallly got mine for 109 dollars at the jcpenny salon.I went in to buy some pants for my daughter who spilled soda all over hers and the salon ladies grabbed me to test it.Once i saw how easy and silky my hair came out they sold me!!Im sure you can find then at a beauty supply store too.

I agree, the CHI is a great iron... I'm not big on flat Irons -- as I tend to get better results with my ceramic brushes & blowdryer... but if you want a good quality iron... CHI is the way to go!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Charmaine Thanks! I'm gonna look into that.
No prob,sometimes in jcpenney they run specials on the iron ,like a % off.

I had a Chi, and just after the one year warranty expired... IT DIED!! It wouldn't even turn on any more! Soo... I bought the Paul Mitchell Smoothing Iron at Trade Secret for $135. I love it and have used it every single day for the past 6 months!

6c_1_b.JPG

Originally Posted by ooonitsreekooo I had a Chi, and just after the one year warranty expired... IT DIED!! It wouldn't even turn on any more! Soo... I bought the Paul Mitchell Smoothing Iron at Trade Secret for $135. I love it and have used it every single day for the past 6 months!
6c_1_b.JPG

sorry to hear about your loss
wink.gif
Glad you found one the works!
biggrin.gif

the only time i've used a chi on my hair is when the hairdresser used it on my hair once.

i have the sedu ceramic flat iron. it was rated very high on www.folica.com and the reviews for the chi weren't very good on there. i like it so far even though i don't flat iron my hair that often as i don't want to damage it too much.

Originally Posted by Charmaine Ooh I never knew about that website. Thanks for putting it here, Liz! no problem!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I've never heard of Chi straightners. Personally I used a futura fransen straightner. I've had it for a little over a year now, and I rate it very highly! I have long hair, about half way down my back, and it takes me a little over 10 minutes to straighten it from its natrually wavyish state. I don't know if you can get them in the states, but I would really recommend them. Damage to my hair is minimum, and they don't get the nasty black burnt stuff that some other brands do!

Paul Mitchell has some great stuff! Glad you found a good one that works for you!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by ooonitsreekooo I had a Chi, and just after the one year warranty expired... IT DIED!! It wouldn't even turn on any more! Soo... I bought the Paul Mitchell Smoothing Iron at Trade Secret for $135. I love it and have used it every single day for the past 6 months!
6c_1_b.JPG

I love my Chi Turbo but the reviews and pics that I've seen on folica.com have convinced me to try the Sedu iron. I have been transitioning from relaxed hair to natural and my hair is very thick and somewhat coarse. The Chi turbo does well on relaxed african-american hair that needs a slight "touch-up" but I don't feel that it gets my natural texture as straight.

It might be that I need a better product to apply to my natural hair, but I'm curious to try the Sedu iron!

Originally Posted by smallpuppy I currently straighten my hair with this ceramic flat iron I bought at Sally Hansen Beauty Store..It cost me like $45..It worked great for me but after some time the plates started to turn black (almost like if something got burned) and I don't use anything on my hair when I use it. I've been thinking about buying a chi straightener..I've heard that it doesn't damage your hair and is the best stuff there..what do you think??
confused.gif
I went through 4 bad chis....i think it depends on the one you get...the older version works wayyy better than the new one (and i'm not talking about the red one)....the old one has a smaller led button and it blinks..the new one is bigger and stays red.....
anyways..try misikko.com...they have some of the cheapest price plus free shipping and no tax...

Originally Posted by sweetface18 I went through 4 bad chis....i think it depends on the one you get...the older version works wayyy better than the new one (and i'm not talking about the red one)....the old one has a smaller led button and it blinks..the new one is bigger and stays red.....
anyways..try misikko.com...they have some of the cheapest price plus free shipping and no tax...

Thanks for that website girl! I've never heard of it!

ghd-classic.jpg
i use these hair straighteners. ive had over 5 different sets in the past and i find these are the best ive ever used. GHD proffesional straighteners
icon_smile.gif

Which Chi iron would you folks recommend getting? I understand there's more than one.

I stopped flat ironing my hair once I started getting it Thermal Reconditioned, but when my roots grow out....they can look a little wavy.

I agree with Cipher... I don't use a flat iron - but from friends who use CHI irons, I've heard the regular is better than the turbo
wink.gif

I have the Chi too and i love it. I've only had it for a year and it works really well. I still feel like it's drying for my hair but not as much as some of the cheaper versions.

Latest posts

Back