Quantcast

Cleaning Makeup Brushes

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
227
Reaction score
0
How often do you clean your makeup brushes? I'm trying to get in the habit of cleaning mine once a week, on the same day. Still working on that though! And what do you use to clean them? I've been using MAC Brush Cleanser, which works well. I'm also curious about Cat Cosmetics brush cleanser though, since you can spray it on. Anyone tried this?

 
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
1,124
Reaction score
0
I clean mine once a week although I should probably do it more.Never tried the Cat cleaner but I get great results w/ J&J Head to Toe wash

 
Joined
Sep 27, 2003
Messages
11,114
Reaction score
4,213
I don't use a brush cleanser to clean mine and I'm bad at not cleaning them often enough. I clean mine about every couple of weeks and I just use an antibacterial soap. I've been wanting to try a brush cleanser though but I'm not sure if they are really worth it.

 
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Messages
2,255
Reaction score
1
I use a tiny drop of fairy liquid and swirl the brushes in the warm soapy water quickly, but never soak the brushes to prevent the bristles falling out. Some beauty therapists sterilise their brushes by using the light from a sunbed. So i have ben told.

 
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
713
Reaction score
2
I clean mine once every 2 weeks or so. I use shampoo, thats all. The brush cleansers are not necessary in my opinion. Originally Posted by alittleweirdo How often do you clean your makeup brushes? I'm trying to get in the habit of cleaning mine once a week, on the same day. Still working on that though! And what do you use to clean them? I've been using MAC Brush Cleanser, which works well. I'm also curious about Cat Cosmetics brush cleanser though, since you can spray it on. Anyone tried this?
 
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
1,124
Reaction score
0
What is Fairy liquid?

Originally Posted by candy I use a tiny drop of fairy liquid and swirl the brushes in the warm soapy water quickly, but never soak the brushes to prevent the bristles falling out. Some beauty therapists sterilise their brushes by using the light from a sunbed. So i have ben told.
 
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Messages
2,255
Reaction score
1
Fairy Liquid is the creme de la creme of washing up liquid which is famous over here (Uk) for baby soft hands and bubbles. It is also used to wash woollens as it is so delicate.It is a mild green (Fairy) liquid.

 
Joined
Oct 20, 2005
Messages
6,237
Reaction score
0
How often do you clean your makeup brushes? At least once a week. Sometimes more. It varies from brush to brush.



And what do you use to clean them? Trish McEvoy Brush Bath.

I'm also curious about Cat Cosmetics brush cleanser though, since you can spray it on. Anyone tried this? I haven't.

 
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
2,374
Reaction score
0
I clean my brushes at least once a week, depending on my use of the brushes and I've never used any brush cleaners before, just shampoo

 
Joined
May 13, 2005
Messages
7,760
Reaction score
1
i clean my shadow and liner brushes after each use with the mac brush cleaner. my foundation brush i clean everyday and a mild liquid soap. my powder brushes get cleaned weekly with a combo the the above. first the liquid soap then the mac cleaner. let them dry overnight.

 
Joined
Mar 23, 2006
Messages
2,134
Reaction score
0
I clean mine once per week using BE brush cleanser and I use Sephora Instant wipe away as a backup in case the brushes get very dirty in the middle of the week and I need to use them right away.

 
Joined
Jun 19, 2006
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
I clean mine with baby shampoo and then reshape it...works great.

 
Joined
Mar 9, 2005
Messages
1,627
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by KathrynNicole /img/forum/go_quote.gif How often do you clean your makeup brushes? At least once a week. Sometimes more. It varies from brush to brush.
And what do you use to clean them? Trish McEvoy Brush Bath.

I'm also curious about Cat Cosmetics brush cleanser though, since you can spray it on. Anyone tried this? I haven't.

I haven't used the Cat Cosmetics brush cleaner but I hear that it supposed to smell like vanilla.

 
Joined
Jul 27, 2006
Messages
1,985
Reaction score
1
i use antibacterial soap on my kabuki's and foundation brush then condition them about every couple of days!for eye brushes i use baby shampoo w/ conditioner & clean them every other week or so, i have a good amount of brushes , so it take mes like 30 mins to wash them.

 
Joined
Dec 22, 2006
Messages
233
Reaction score
0
personal brushes havent been cleaned properly in forever. professinal brushes, after each use pretty much, or at least between clients

 
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
i try to clean my brushes once a week, it depeneds on which brush and how often i use em. for ex. i clean my foundation brush more often then my eyeshadow brush. oh, and i use MAC's brush cleaner

 
Joined
Oct 21, 2006
Messages
1,677
Reaction score
0
I use Cinema Secrets brush cleaner. It smells great and is anibacterial. I use this because i clan my brushes between clients. If it was just me using them I would just use baby shamoo.

 
Joined
Nov 24, 2006
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
A few times a week.

And I have a great tip for drying!

When I've washed and dried them a bit with a towel, I put a hair elastic around the handle (I'm mainly talking for kabukis), and I hang it up on my window handle.

That way I can make the hair point downwards, while drying


 

Latest posts

Top