Quantcast

Cold Sores / Fever Blisters

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
2,266
Reaction score
0
I usually only get these if I am sick or if I go out in the sun and don't use a high SPF on my lips. Well this weekend, I came down with two doozies on my lips and they burn, sting and are swollen. I look like I was in a boxing match and I look like I overdosed on lip plump injections.


Now, this may sound far fetched but I was wondering - - I ate buffalo wings a few days ago that were way too spicy and my lips were burning afterwards. I know because I had indigestion afterwards. Do you think that could have caused this breakout also? Meanwhile, does anyone have any remedies for this? I am using acyclovir topical cream but it doesn't really work as well as it used to.


 
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Messages
275
Reaction score
1
Zovirax! In USA only available by prescription though.

 
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
2,266
Reaction score
0
That's what I'm using - thanks (acyclovir/zovirax)

I just bought some CamphoPhenique that seems to be taking away the sting. I look like Yoda today!


 
Joined
Mar 8, 2005
Messages
9,100
Reaction score
31
when my brother was in the hospital for a while and constantly got fever blisters b/c of his weak immune system the doctors told him to use an eye gel (Oleovit, but basically any gel with cortisone in it will do it I think) temporarily to reduce itching and burning. I do that too sometimes-it doesn´t make the blister go away but it takes the discomfort away.I myself have suffered from fever blisters for years and nothing helped-I tried almost all the products on the market. and I don´t think it was the spicy burrito that caused the blister. you only get them when your immune system is weak (b/c of stress,sun,illness etc). cause that´s when the virus is able to emerge and attack.

 
Joined
May 19, 2005
Messages
2,206
Reaction score
1
Sorry to hear about the cold sores. It would be interesting if they were caused by the spicy buffalo wings. It makes sense in my head that the sores could be caused by the irritation. Normally cold sores are caused by a virus, but if you also get cold sores from too much sun I think it would be possible that you could get them from spicy foods.

I treat my cold sores with herbal remedies. I don't know if you're interested. If you're taking a prescription then you're probably taken care of and just have to wait it out.

Originally Posted by Amethyst I usually only get these if I am sick or if I go out in the sun and don't use a high SPF on my lips. Well this weekend, I came down with two doozies on my lips and they burn, sting and are swollen. I look like I was in a boxing match and I look like I overdosed on lip plump injections.

Now, this may sound far fetched but I was wondering - - I ate buffalo wings a few days ago that were way too spicy and my lips were burning afterwards. I know because I had indigestion afterwards. Do you think that could have caused this breakout also? Meanwhile, does anyone have any remedies for this? I am using acyclovir topical cream but it doesn't really work as well as it used to.


 
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
1,534
Reaction score
0
Awww-- those suckers really hurt too. My best advice for you is.. get yourself some Abreva. that stuff is a gift from the gods.. I get those nasties at least 3 times a year, and if i dont remember to wear sunblock i get them more. yes, acidic foods (oj, etc) and stress will awaken the virus. If you CANNOT get abreva, get tea tree oil. that will help. NeoSporin makes a nice lipbalm just for cold sores. Believe me, i am right there with ya, those really are painful and will scar if you pick them.. be careful!

HTH...

 
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
1,534
Reaction score
0
whoops, hit send before i was done. In case you are interested, the cold sore is caused by a herpes virus. NOOO! NOT THAT KIND! There are 2 kinds in the world. the one no one talks about which is Herpes Simplex 2, the one you and i have is Simplex 1.(HSV 1). After the initial outbreak, the virus usually lies dormant in the skin or in nerve tissue until something triggers another eruption. Often the trigger is unknown, but in some people overexposure to sunlight, fever, physical or emotional stress, hormonal changes such as pregnancy or menstruation, or certain foods and drugs seem to reactivate the virus.

 
Joined
Mar 8, 2005
Messages
9,100
Reaction score
31
Originally Posted by MacForMe whoops, hit send before i was done. In case you are interested, the cold sore is caused by a herpes virus. NOOO! NOT THAT KIND! There are 2 kinds in the world. the one no one talks about which is Herpes Simplex 2, the one you and i have is Simplex 1.(HSV 1). After the initial outbreak, the virus usually lies dormant in the skin or in nerve tissue until something triggers another eruption. Often the trigger is unknown, but in some people overexposure to sunlight, fever, physical or emotional stress, hormonal changes such as pregnancy or menstruation, or certain foods and drugs seem to reactivate the virus. excellent description! never heard about food as a possible trigger for the breakout though-that´s new to me!
 
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
1,534
Reaction score
0
Thanks! I hate those darn things.. They are really nasty and hurt ALOT. Abreva is the best stuff ever.. whoa tho! its EXPENSIVE. Try to get it from a wholesale club if YOU CAN... Sams, Costco etc.. much cheaper..

 

Liz

Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
9,784
Reaction score
2
I don't remember if I've ever had a cold sore or a fever blister. alli know of to help them is Carmex.

 
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
1,534
Reaction score
0
hate to rain on ya.. but cold sores are fever blisters. carmex is nice because it actually keeps the scab moist, gross i know but, its important for healing. When the scab dries out, it can come off, opening up the sore and making it worse. Sores are also contagious.. forgot to mention that.. ick.. i know..

(its not fair, i have an advantage, i work in a hospital)

 
Joined
Oct 22, 2003
Messages
22,667
Reaction score
441
Location
Huntington Beach, CA
Aren't they all just the same herpes virus?





Originally Posted by MacForMe

hate to rain on ya.. but cold sores are fever blisters. carmex is nice because it actually keeps the scab moist, gross i know but, its important for healing. When the scab dries out, it can come off, opening up the sore and making it worse. Sores are also contagious.. forgot to mention that.. ick.. i know..
(its not fair, i have an advantage, i work in a hospital)





 
Joined
Mar 8, 2005
Messages
9,100
Reaction score
31
Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Aren't they all just the same herpes virus? Fever blisters are caused by HSV1, genital herpes is most commonly caused by HSV2. the viruses are very similar to each other in terms of configuration though.
 
Joined
Oct 22, 2003
Messages
22,667
Reaction score
441
Location
Huntington Beach, CA
Yah that is what I was thinking. treated with the same meds and they act they act simlar





Originally Posted by Arielle

Fever blisters are caused by HSV1, genital herpes is most commonly caused by HSV2. the viruses are very similar to each other in terms of configuration though.



 
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
2,266
Reaction score
0
I was surprised to get them and two of them besides. Because first off is because I'm not sick, not even a cold. Secondly, I was at a backyard BBQ over the weekend but it WAS mostly overcast. The reason I thought of the spicy wings is because I was gulping water after eating them, these suckers were way too spicy. As far as stress goes, nothing THAT stressful is going on. Maybe I'm just under the weather (???) My sister gets them too. Its weird because my brothers and my parents never got them. Only me and my sister. Weird.

I tried Abreva ($15.00) but it didn't really speed up the process for me. Heck, I've even tried Lysine vitamin capsules. When I go to the beach I COAT myself & my mouth in SPF 45 to prevent burning and getting cold sores.

But I think if these pests are going to rear their ugly heads they will no matter what.


But my mouth burns like hell ! (good excuse to eat ice cream)


 
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
1,534
Reaction score
0
You have to hit it with the Abreva AS SOON as the area is starting to feel weird. You knw this tingly, ouchy, almost itchy feeling.. Actually:

Herpes SImplex 1 only infects those body tissues that lie "above the waistline" Herpese Simplex 2 goes typically BELOW the waistline, aka genital herpes, it is NOT usually the virus that causes cold sores, even though it CAN.

 
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
1,164
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Arielle excellent description! never heard about food as a possible trigger for the breakout though-that´s new to me! Food is definitely something to watch out for with HSV 1 or 2...spicy foods, alcohol or too much sugar can trigger sores, and so can foods containing L-Argenine. Lots of things can trigger outbreaks.
You might want to look into Oil of Oregano...if you get the oil and not the pills, you can put it directly onto your sores, but beware...it stings like hell. But It's great for your immune system as well, and it also helps with colds, flu, and various infections. It also helps with sinuses...I know when my man tried it for a while he stopped snoring. It's actually really good for a lot of things, but it's absolutely helpful with Herpes or Herpes-related symptoms.

 
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
2,266
Reaction score
0
There you go, I had eaten spicy food, was drinking mojitos
and eating a ton of junk food (my farewell to indulging before I started my diet) over the weekend. Not only that, I know I must get subconsciously nervous weeks before I'm about to board a plane.


Now today, the area around my sinuses aches.


Oil of oregano, you say? Hmmm, that I might try....so what if I smell like a pizza? I AM Italian.


 
Joined
Mar 8, 2005
Messages
9,100
Reaction score
31
I get fever blisters at the most random times-ut bas a child I had one or two every month or every other month. now I get one about every 2 months.

I still don´t know what triggers the outbreaks for me personally. I rarely ever get sick (and when I am, there are still no blisters!), and I don´t get them more often in summer (due to sun exposure). and I can´t say I´ve noticed I get them more often when I have lots of stress.

I guess for me it takes a minimal immune system suppression that I don´t even notice and I get a fever blister. it´s so weird!!!

 
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
1,534
Reaction score
0
one of the docs where i work said that Tea Tree Oil rocks. He was right, it works reALLY well, and if you have breakouts on your face, (or anywhere else) you can use it for that too.

yay!

 

Latest posts

Top