Conair wet/dry straightener..questions!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarlette

Obsessed with lipstick
Reaction score
Well, I have a new haircut that calls for a straightener.. I have NO Idea what I am doing! I have never used one before and while at Walgreens, I saw the new Conair wet/dry straightening iron and I had to have it. It's super skinny and it has vents so that the steam will escape so you can wet-style your hair. I am SCARED to death of this thing. I don't want my hair to burn off. Is there anything I can use before I straighten? I have a thermal styling spray that says it's good for use with irons, but it's like hairspray and it keeps the style. I don't think it's protecting my hair! Please throw some suggestions out there for me to try. Thanks!

Does it have ceramic plates? Those are a lot better for your hair. Metal ones work but damage your hair a lot more.

Originally Posted by Charmaine I don't know how safe those are for your hair...I have the regular Conair flat iron and I've used it before when my hair is a little bit wet and the steam really hurts! And I think something about the hair being wet works as a conductor for the heat, so your scalp ends up hurting too, making it feel like you applied the iron to your scalp. That's just how it feels with a regular one though, I don't know how well the wet/dry iron will work. Yes, it's ceramic, which I know is good! =) The steam doesn't hurt me, it seems to be pretty good. I am just too scared about damage. I heard there is some oil you can put on first.. I am not sure what that is.

The spray should be a heat protectant spray... not really a styling spray. VO5 and CHI make good heat sprays. The wet/dry straighteners aren't that bad if they are ceramic. I would just make sure your iron has heat setting controls to allow you to change the amount of heat for your hair type, and wether it is wet, damp, or dry. Also, try to alternate blow drying it with using the iron, as it still is damaging. Your hair shouldn't burn, but the intense heat from anything can zap moisture from the hair.
wink.gif

I don't understand the wet/dry concept.
confused.gif
If you "finish" styling your hair, and there is any moisture left in it at all, won't it revert your hair back to frizz/waves/curls? Don't you have to make sure your hair is completely dry and the moisture sealed out with some sort of styling product? Forgive me for being dense...
icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted by glamslam I don't understand the wet/dry concept.
confused.gif
If you "finish" styling your hair, and there is any moisture left in it at all, won't it revert your hair back to frizz/waves/curls? Don't you have to make sure your hair is completely dry and the moisture sealed out with some sort of styling product? Forgive me for being dense...
icon_redface.gif
thats definitely what I'm wondering too....I never seem to have time to both dry AND straighten my hair...so I'm trying to find out all I can about this wet/dry thing...is it worth the money?

Back