Cost to see a Dermotologist?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I live in Canada and I have never been to dermotologist. I am assuming it is not covered by health insurance. I was wondering how much it costs to see one approximately? I would like to get some peels done as I have acne scars and skin pigmentation.

I have been to a salon and have had a glycolic peel done, but I figured the dermotologist might be a better move.

Just wondering if anybody has encountered the prices involved

Thanks

jana

You should call your insurance company. Dermatologist visits are usually covered in the U.S., however in most cases there must be a medical benefit to the procedure. Most U.S. insurance companies would require a referral to the dermatologist by the patient's physician to ensure medical necessity. However, some insurances no longer require a referral. It just all depends. So, the first thing I'd ask the insurance company, if I were you, is if you need a referral to see a dermatologist. Then, ask for a list of the procedures that would be covered. Otherwise, if you want peels done, you'll probably be shelling out more dough to the dermatologist than you would if you just went to an aesthetician.

Find out if it's a covered benefit w/in your insurance plan. If you're allowed to see one, go for it, but make sure the Dr. doesn't charge a monster consultation fee.

Originally Posted by spazbaby You should call your insurance company. Dermatologist visits are usually covered in the U.S., however in most cases there must be a medical benefit to the procedure. Most U.S. insurance companies would require a referral to the dermatologist by the patient's physician to ensure medical necessity. However, some insurances no longer require a referral. It just all depends. So, the first thing I'd ask the insurance company, if I were you, is if you need a referral to see a dermatologist. Then, ask for a list of the procedures that would be covered. Otherwise, if you want peels done, you'll probably be shelling out more dough to the dermatologist than you would if you just went to an aesthetician. Good tip! Best to check out your insurance first... they cover more & more things everyday ... but since you want something more cosmetic than medical.. it might not be. Can't hurt to try though!
icon_wink.gif

Yup, just check with insurance. Mine doesn't cover lazer hair removal b/c it's considered to be a cosmetic procedure, but for basic skin/acne treatment, I'm covered. I love my dermatologist -- she's giving me some powerful acne treatments.
smile.gif

frown.gif
i really need to go to a dermatologist. my face is not clearing up at all. i've been breaking out on my cheeks, like the cystic type
frown.gif

I want lazer hair removal... I'm a frikkin' gorilla!
icon_redface.gif
Ah... the joys of being Italian! lol

I hate cystic acne! I sometimes will get these. Well some of them end up being in-growns

Maybe Tetracycline?

Originally Posted by Liz

frown.gif
i really need to go to a dermatologist. my face is not clearing up at all. i've been breaking out on my cheeks, like the cystic type
frown.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I want lazer hair removal... I'm a frikkin' gorilla!
icon_redface.gif
Ah... the joys of being Italian! lol ahh, this Greek girl can commiserate with you sista!

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) I hate cystic acne! I sometimes will get these. Well some of them end up being in-growns
Maybe Tetracycline?

yeah, but i don't have health insurance right now. i don't know how much it costs to go to a derm.

so does anyone know how much it cost to see a derm if you're not using a helth insurance plan? i do't have health insurance right now, but i really need to go. i don't want it to be expensive
frown.gif

icon_evil.gif
Yeah your right Joyeuux - they never cover the good stuff like -(lipo, boob jobs, etc) LOL Originally Posted by Joyeuux Yup, just check with insurance. Mine doesn't cover lazer hair removal b/c it's considered to be a cosmetic procedure, but for basic skin/acne treatment, I'm covered. I love my dermatologist -- she's giving me some powerful acne treatments.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Liz so does anyone know how much it cost to see a derm if you're not using a helth insurance plan? i do't have health insurance right now, but i really need to go. i don't want it to be expensive
frown.gif
I think its is kind of expensive,when i was a teen i would break out so bad and i totally hated it.My mom couldnt take me to the derm because it was too expensive and i wasnt on any insurance plan thanks to my good ol daddy
icon_rolleyes.gif

Janac, a fellow Canadian here too. You will need a referral from your family doctor, and I know here in Ontario (OHIP) covers the visit. They do treat acne-not sure if anything other than basic treatment for that is covered. Peels, microdermabrasion etc, is out of pocket and is considered cosmetic. They can prescribe you meds. I looked into my extended health coverage and they do not pay for anything cosmetic, just meds. It's a shame though because some of these procedures would really help people with skin problems. Hope this helps
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Latest posts

Back