Croutons?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for croutons? I tried 3 different (small) batches myself but.... well they'll be bird food assuming the birds will eat them. Because they were kinda nasty. This was the first time I experimented in the kitchen and had it turn out horrible. None of my little experiments ever taste bad. This is a huge first for me and I am so disappointed by it! So rather than trying again I thought I'd ask for some recipes to try and when I find one that works, I'll tweak it to make it my own. Unless it's good enough the way it is.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by MysticWolf Does anyone have a recipe for croutons? I tried 3 different (small) batches myself but.... well they'll be bird food assuming the birds will eat them. Because they were kinda nasty. This was the first time I experimented in the kitchen and had it turn out horrible. None of my little experiments ever taste bad. This is a huge first for me and I am so disappointed by it! So rather than trying again I thought I'd ask for some recipes to try and when I find one that works, I'll tweak it to make it my own. Unless it's good enough the way it is.
wink.gif
Hi MysticWolf,I love making my own croutons!

Here's what I do:

-Preheat oven to 350-375

- chose a bread that is thick such as bagels or sourdough bread.

- Cube the bread till you have about 4 cups of it

- Melt in sauce pan:

[*]1/4-1/2 cube butter or margarine (depends on how many bread cubes you are coating)

[*]1-2 tsp parmesan cheese (the kind you sprinkle)

[*]spices such as a pinch of rosemary, oregano, parsley

[*]1/4 tsp garlic powder

[*]dash of salt and pepper

Heat ingredients just till melted. Pour the bread cubes into the pan and mix promptly so that they are evenly coated.

Pour crumbs onto cookie sheet and spread evenly. Set timer for 5 minutes and stir. Check every 5 minutes until crumbs are crispy and lightly browned, do NOT remove if soft because they won't be done. This process can take about 20 minutes or so.

Tips: crumbs should be lightly-medium coated with butter mixture. They should not be drenched in it or they will never get crispy like croutons! Conversely, if you find that there is barely any coating on the crumbs, they will not taste very good and you will need to add a bit more butter.

This mixture makes your house smell like tasty garlic bread. Husbands and family members love the smell!

126banner4.jpg

Originally Posted by Californian Hi MysticWolf,I love making my own croutons!

Here's what I do:

-Preheat oven to 350-375

- chose a bread that is thick such as bagels or sourdough bread.

- Cube the bread till you have about 4 cups of it

- Melt in sauce pan:

• 1/4-1/2 cube butter or margarine (depends on how many bread cubes you are coating)
  • 1-2 tsp parmesan cheese (the kind you sprinkle)
  • spices such as a pinch of rosemary, oregano, parsley
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • dash of salt and pepper
Heat ingredients just till melted. Pour the bread cubes into the pan and mix promptly so that they are evenly coated.
Pour crumbs onto cookie sheet and spread evenly. Set timer for 5 minutes and stir. Check every 5 minutes until crumbs are crispy and lightly browned, do NOT remove if soft because they won't be done. This process can take about 20 minutes or so.

Tips: crumbs should be lightly-medium coated with butter mixture. They should not be drenched in it or they will never get crispy like croutons! Conversely, if you find that there is barely any coating on the crumbs, they will not taste very good and you will need to add a bit more butter.

This mixture makes your house smell like tasty garlic bread. Husbands and family members love the smell!

https://www.makeuptalk.com/editor_fil...126banner4.jpg

nice recipe...thanks

Latest posts

Back