Days 11-20 of 100 day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats everyone! So happy to hear that everyone is making progress and sticking to their goals. I have met all my goals for days 11-20 and am now planning my next set of goals. Checking in here really helps me to stay strong. I have stuck to my no-buy and I am feeling very good about that. I am adding in some new goals this week since my organization is done. I want to maybe add 1 fitness goal and/or 1 household chore to the mix. I like taking it slowly and breaking it into 10 day increments. Its more realistic for me to actually accomplish my goals that way.

1. Use at least one mask or peel.

2. Exercise at least 8 days out of the 10 and for a minimum of 20 minutes each time.

3. Eat out tonight (b/c it is my son's birthday) and only one other time maximum. I am trying for no more times.

4. Use up at least 5 more items and keep track of them.

5. Keep my hair straightened every work day.

6. Have all lesson plans complete for the following week by the time I leave each Friday so that I don't have to work on lessons at home.

7. Go grocery shopping only once each weekend only for items to use with what we already have at home so we can use up food items. Search sales ads and coupons for discounts before shopping.

8. Return a Christmas item to Target that didn't fit my daughter.

9. Don't buy any makeup or skincare items.

10. Drink only 2 sodas at work this week.

11. Cancel one subscription box.

1. Done!

2. Done! 10/10 days for 30 minutes per day! Feeling great!

3. Done! Ate out for son's birthday and NO more times!

4. Done! Used up WAY more than 5.

5. Done!

6. Done!

7. Done! Saved lots with coupons and sales on Sunday!

8. Not done. Went to Target and forgot to take it with us! Urg... I *did* get an item returned to Amazon.

9. Done!!! No-buy successful for days 11-20.

10. Not done. I had 3. None at home to compensate, but I still didn't meet my goal.

11.Done! Cancelled 2!

I feel that I did really well this round. Even though I didn't quite make my goal on 2 items, I surpassed some of my other goals and I am definitely making progress toward a better me all around. So far I have earned $20/$100 for my reward. Temptations for sure this time, but I made it.

Great job on the hard work, ladies!!!

Yay for our next set of goals!  Here are mine:

No-Buy:  Maintain!  I did a great job in the first 10 days, only buying my one "exception" item.  So I have a one package arriving this week, which will be added to my "brand new" pile.  I've committed myself to trying all of my brand new items at least once over the 100 days, and not save makeup for a "special occasion".  DONE!  TRIED SEVERAL NEW EYESHADOWS THIS WEEK!

Bathrooms:  I keep up with everyday cleaning, but all of them need a deep cleaning after the holidays!  I'm really bad about saying "ehhhh I'll get to that later" and then forgetting, so I'm putting it here to keep me accountable!  And giving myself a bubble bath as a reward after each one is sparkly clean!  DONE!  ALL BATHROOMS ARE CLEAN, BUT I OWE MYSELF A BUBBLE BATH!

Office:  One of the coolest features of our house is having an office.  It's a spacious room, and hubby and I each have a desk in there.  It's also become the dumping ground for the first floor!  I'm cleaning out my half, and once my husband gets home from his business trip, he's promised me he'll do his half.  So my goal is 1/2 of a clean office?  Sure, that'll work. I NOW HAVE 1/2 A CLEAN OFFICE!  YAAAAAY!

Kid's Room:  We recently got them a bunk bed set with built-in drawers.  What I didn't realize is the drawers are TINY.  But now that I recently discovered vertical folding (mentioned in the 1-10 day thread, you can also look up "vertical shirt folding" on either Pinterest or Google), I'm going to see if I can't get a bunch of their shirts into the drawers.   DONE!  I STILL HAVE TO SORT SOME STUFF THAT DIDN'T FIT, BUT I DID IT!!!

Spare Bedroom (and accompanying closet):  This is the upstairs "dumping ground".  I already got all the throw pillows out of there, now I need to sort through everything and figure out what DOES belong in there!  NOT DONE.  I ACCOMPLISHED A LOT, ADDING THIS ONTO THE NEXT 10 DAY GOALS.

Donations:  I sorted out a TON of clothing to donate in the first 10 days.  But knowing me, it'll sit in a pile in the spare bedroom til spring!  So my goal is to take at least one carload to our local thrift shop this week! DONE! THE WHOLE BACK OF MY JEEP WAS FILLED!

Yes, it's a lot.  But I get bored easily, so I'd rather have a lot of things I can work on.  So if I get bored with scrubbing the bathroom, I can package up more donations and throw them in my car.  Or go sort craft supplies in my office.  Or try a new makeup item!  I'm excited to read everyone's new goals!  Let's make this our most productive year ever!
Sorry for the caps lock!  I got almost everything done, but the kids had 3.5 days off school (1/2 day Friday, off Sat/Sun/Mon), and my ability to get that room clean was shot all to hell.  I've added it to the next 10 days along with some much LIGHTER projects, and I need to take it a bit easier on myself!  

Still, I'm very proud of everything I did accomplish.  Going into the master bath and closet is so nice now, and I can't wait to expand that to the bedroom too! (one of my goals for Days 21-30 is getting that master bedroom CLEAN!  No more dinosaur toys in there!)

I underestimated the time available so not all goals are reached.

1. Be proactive, not reactive to the stress I feel when dealing with my sister. I want to put together a pampering kit for myself and use it instead of wanting to shop. I'm thinking of face mask, body scrub, hair mask etc. Done. It worked when I used it. I think this combined with staying away from the computer when I feel stressed will help a lot.

2. Try another blush. This is hard for me because of the rosacea, but with makeup on etc. I look too pale in pictures without blush. My rosacea is now mild and barely noticeable so it is time to get over my aversion to blush. I did and liked it. I tossed the rest.

3. Inventory my stuff!!! I forgot to do it the first time. I still need to do the items in the hallway closet. It has taken me awhile because I am checking the ingredients to make sure I can use the items.

4. Paint my nails once. I did this :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

5. Go through my subs and decide which ones to cancel and which ones to keep. I canceled 3. I am thinking about canceling a few more by not renewing.

I may cancel the Dottie Box mini once my 3 months are up. I also may not renew my New England Sack if they can't email me about how to use the discount code they sent me. I do receive a few beauty items from both subs.

6. Exercise! I did light exercising. I want to increase it in the next 10 days.

7. Go through the items in the hallway closet and reorganize it. I need to create a place to put my items that I am using because my bedroom is cold. It is uncomfortable putting on cold lotion at night :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Placing this on my 21-30 list.

8. I gathered up my foils and placed them on my dresser. I want to use them up in the next 10 days. I used most of them. I need to check the ingredients on a couple foils to be sure I can use them.

9. Learn how to use a Beauty Blender. I received one with a BB sub.I did.

10. Learn how to use body oils. I don't know if it is in addition to body butters or in place of body butters. I have 2 full-size ones from subs that I need to use. I did.

My goals for 11-20:

1. Don't shop for makeup, but that should be obvious.

2. Use a mask twice.

3. Paint my nails twice and my toe nails once.

4. Use a hair mask at least once.

5. Inventory my makeup now that I have it organized.

6. Learn how to use/what's the reason to use 3 of my samples.  I have a lot of samples that I'm not even certain what they are or how they are suppose to be used.

7. Decorate the shoe box that holds my nail polish.  I needed to reinforce the bottom, so I did that last night, but now it looks kind of weird, so I'm going to decorate it to make it look less like a tacky shoe box.

8. Make a space for the storage drawers that I ordered, and fill them with my yarn stash.  I already have an idea where I want them, but it is currently over run with all my yarn plus a bunch of other stuff.

9. Call the driving school that I've already paid for and set up a time to go over there (I've been meaning to do this for months, this needs to be done, but I keep forgetting to do it, so hopefully adding it here will remind me).

10. (Optional) Measure my bed and purchase enough underbed storage totes to fit under there.

There's a lot I want to get accomplished, but I do have 4 days off this week, so it shouldn't be unmanageable.
1. Done

2. Done

3. Done

4. Done, I didn't use the product that I intended to use though, one day I accidentally dumped far too much conditioner in my hands, and decided to just go with it than try to put it back.

5. Done, ish.  I wrote out everything, but I'm in the process of counting everything out so that at a glance I can tell if I have 20 mascaras or only 1.

6. I'm working on it right now!  I have them opened up on different tabs, so that I can take a look when I get a chance later, and so that I don't completely forget to do this!

7. Didn't do.  I want to find some blue duck tape to use for this, but I can't find some anywhere.  This will get done when I actually find some.

8. Not even started.  Will add it to my next 10 plan.

9. Done!  I am so excited and nervous by this.  It was a lot easier than I anticipated, I can get really nervous to make phone calls, and going in to make an appointment would take far to much time.  But I bit the bullet and did it.  It's set for Thursday.

10. Not done, but that's okay.

While doing my inventory, I did realize a lack of a product.  Hairspray.  I had 2 mini's, one of them is empty now, and the other is one that I want to save for travel (it has an easy to lock spray nozzle), or as a backup for when we run out.  My Mom and I both use the same one, so we go through them pretty quickly, and we never think to pick one up until it's empty.  But today at the grocery store, I noticed a favorite brand was almost 50% off, so I grabbed it, that way we can save the mini for travel.

Ugh I smell like such an old lady right now I can't handle it.

I'm trying to use up foils and samples, so I used Davinis Oi shampoo, conditioner, and some leave-in cream, and a lavender body butter from a recent birchbox. I swear I'm three or four decades older now.

I did well for the first 10 days! (I only bought things for an exchange, which is allowed). So for days 11-20 my goals are:

1. Wear more eyeliner: I normally just wear eyeshadow, but I have some eyeliners that I want to use more. If I'm going to be out for less than 3 hours, then I'm going to use the pencil liners I have; if I'm going to be out for a longer period of time then I can use my darker eyeshadows to line my eyes (because I'm worried about smudging).

2. Paint toe nails once every 10 days. I normally use nail polish on my fingernails 2-3 times a week, but only paint my toe nails once a month. Since I have quite a bit of nail polish, I want to increase the frequency.

3. Wear eyeshadow and a lip product even if I'm not going out. Continue to document which eyeshadows I wear so that I get a decent rotation through my stash, play with different colors/looks, and remind myself of how much I have.
I did all of these! And I didn't make any purchases, either. I've been pretty busy so the urge to shop hasn't been high. There was some temptation with nail polish - but I resisted. I also finished up a sample whipped soap today and a body lotion yesterday. One of the goals that I had (but didn't write down) was to wash all of my brushes - which I did. So Days 11-20 were a success for me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

How did I do...

Woohoo! 10 days down! So excited to start days 11-20.

My mini goals for this period (not writing down not buying since that is understood):

1. Clean out and organize the linen closet. I'm not sure why I call it a linen closet, since there are no linens in there, lol. At any rate, it needs to be cleaned out and organized, especially since I can't find razors and I am pretty sure that I'm not out. Nope...didn't happen. Will add to goals for 21-30

2. No processed foods. I did very well this past week. I cooked real food every day that I cooked (we had Chipotle on evening, which I am ok with). I want to keep that up and plan meals for every night. Yep! Ate real food every day.

3. Walk consistently every work day. My building is enormous at work. To walk one loop of the hallways is 1/3 of mile, so I want to use half of my lunch each day to walk (especially since we have a healthcare challenge that uses fitbit activity to earn points and then there are all kinds of cool things we can purchase like designer purses or jewelry and electronics. It's a motivation to exercise, lol. Nope...work was way busy and I just didn't take the time. I really need to try to carve this time out. Back on the goal list for 21-30.

4. Get my work outfit ready (ironed, etc) ready the night before including accessories and jewelry. I started doing that this past week and it really helped me get out the door. Yes...did this every night except for one. It really makes a difference.

5. Use a mask twice during this period, Preferably during a bath with a book and glass of wine. Yes...actually used a mask three times!
 On to the next thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have three time-consuming errands that I've been putting off. I also have three days off this week, so my goal is to do at least one of the errands. I'm not sure I'll have a 20-day goal, because my birthday is coming up at the end of the month. I have Ulta and Sephora free gifts to redeem, plus I'll probably ask my fiance for something beauty-related. A day 11-20 reward seems silly on top of birthday stuff.

I'm also going to go to bed by midnight every night. I have an intimidatingly large to-do list and staying up too late is one of the easiest ways to wear myself out without accomplishing anything.
Did not do the errands, but I also ended up picking up extra work and didn't actually have three days off. And I'm off today and planning on accomplishing two of those errands.

I went to bed before midnight for the first few days, and it was great, and then went completely off schedule and it was awful. Gonna keep working on this.

I didn't spend ANY money those ten days! Money spent today under spoiler:

I thought I might make my Sephora b-day gift my reward, and was debating whether I should pay for shipping or go in to a store for my gift. Flash just became available for $10, and I snagged it without even thinking. I sort of broke my no-buy, but I'm counting that as my reward for days 11-20.

I'm ready to tackle some new goals!

1. Organize my eyeliners. I have them in multiple places and I'm going to try and get them organized in 1 jar my friend made me.

2. Go through my "flannel closet" as I call it. My bedroom closet is TINY. I swear it was made for a child it is SO small. So I have 2 racks in it, 1 with short sleeve shirts and 1 with tanks and then I keep my long sleeve shirts, sweaters, etc. in the hall closet. But really it's 90% flannels because I have a flannel obsession :blush: I need to try everything on and get rid of what I haven't worn in ages.

3. Wear makeup at least 5 days.

4. Paint my nails at least once.

5. Do a face mask twice.

6. Focus on the palette I want to pan.
1. Done!

2. Done!

3. I only wore makeup 4 days, but I'm not even mad.

4. Done!

5. Done!

6. Done!

I'm really happy that I hit all my goals but 1. I still haven't bought anything and that's the biggest accomplishment. I caught myself browsing Sephora, but I looked at my inventory on my desk and instantly closed out. Super excited to start some new goals!

I'm excited to move on to the next set of 10 days!  My mini goals are:

1) spend 5-10 minutes doing general light clean up (picking up mail, papers, clothes, putting away dishes, etc) each night. My back has been hurting and the mess around the apartment shows it. I want to build the habit of cleaning a little each day, so I don't spend all weekend picking up the week's mess. I did this about 4 of the nights, so the habit isn't built yet, but the apartment is getting cleaner! I want to continue this goal for the next set of 10 days!

2) Set aside a morning or afternoon (4hrs) at work to reorganize my office, my workflow, and how i prioritize tasks. I'm not going to take the time to do this unless I set it aside and allow myself to not feel guilty about not spending the time "working", but instead improving how I work. It took a full day (8 hours), but I did it! I have a new to-do list system, planner, workflow, and time management! Now I just have to stick to it!

3) Generate 10 more empties! I had 11 but it was really hard to do. I found that I stopped enjoying the products and was just pushing to get through them. I don't think I'm going to set a goal like this again, it was too short-term for me.  I'm super impressed with people who can do these goals! That takes willpower! 
2.4/3 isn't bad!  On to days 21-30!

Did not do the errands, but I also ended up picking up extra work and didn't actually have three days off. And I'm off today and planning on accomplishing two of those errands.

I went to bed before midnight for the first few days, and it was great, and then went completely off schedule and it was awful. Gonna keep working on this.

I didn't spend ANY money those ten days! Money spent today under spoiler:

I thought I might make my Sephora b-day gift my reward, and was debating whether I should pay for shipping or go in to a store for my gift. Flash just became available for $10, and I snagged it without even thinking. I sort of broke my no-buy, but I'm counting that as my reward for days 11-20.
Me too. 

I also jumped at Flash, hopefully it won't induce me to shop more in the next 80 or so days left of the no buy. it is too good of a deal to resist though.

Sorry I'm late to the wrap-up party, everyone!!!

Ok, here's how I did with my goals during this 10-day session (11-21):

X 1. Cotton pads for face- I use the Shiseido ones, and I want to make flannel ones from baby blankets, then compare and see if it's soft enough to take the place of me buying those.

X 2. Nail polish remover with old rag instead of cotton pads.

3. Make DIY eyelash and brow serum using old mascara tubes. (Already cleaned out 2 tubes for this, and it takes several days because you have to let them dry before you add your oils in.)

4. Fix my Mint.com account- it's working but having trouble attaching to my bank account.

5. Buy Roth IRA for 2014/2015. I think I already maxed mine out for 2014 last December, but that could have been 2013 instead... so I need to check on this! Checked it: I only did 2013 last December. This January I contributed $5,500.00 to my 2014 tax year. 1/12/2015.

6. Check on TSP/401k. I just want to check in on this and see what's up.

X 7. Update address at Raymond James, Paypal, driver's license, etc.

X 8. Start the envelope method soon- get it ready for February.

9. Clean out closet.

10. Go through all clothes and get rid of 20% of clothes.

11. Make list of things I may need so I can plan for their purchases (running shoes, prescription sunglasses, hair clips and hair pins).

12. Keep list of things I want and reevaluate if I still want it at the end of 100-day no-buy.

X 13. Keep running! At least 3x a week! (I ran Monday and Tuesday after work, now I just need to run one more day this week to keep this goal going!)

14. Pack lunches for work.

X 15. Go to my credit union's annual dinner. (1/27 at Muse Center, Hinds CC).

X 16. Get the ex off my credit card, and my name off his.

X 17. When I start running out of items I need, consider emailing companies for samples instead of repurchasing. Or going to Sephora for samples to try. But only a few times, not indefinitely.

X 18. Get back into reading and sending letters to friends to keep myself from obsessing over makeup.

X 19. Start obsessing over my thesis and get it going! Work on it 2 days a week at the minimum!!! Consider going to the library Saturday 9-12 to work on it every weekend.

20. Regularly get rid of mascara and lip balms after 3 months.

21. Clean makeup brushes one time in each of the 10 10-day sections!

X 22. Take a look at my December and January bank statements!!!

23. Keep writing your 'morning pages' where you list out what time you went to bed, when you woke up, what time you got to work, what you ate, what you purchased, if you exercised, and what tempted you and how you're dealing with it! I did this today and it's awesome!!!

24. Paint nails and toenails twice a week- Make sure to oil cuticles multiple times a day!

25. Keep working on style inspiration notebook to zero in on your style. When you figure it out, work on your style wardrobe thingy at Into Mind blog (http://into-mind.com...e-wardrobe-101/) My goal is a minimalistic, quality over quantity curated set of belongings that help make me happier, rather than make me anxious!

26. Pay off credit card

27. Check credit score. 761!!!! 1/12/2015

28. Register for 2 thesis hours

X 29. Make a to do list for thesis and graduation!!!

17/29= 60% success. I also have that little rollerball failure to attend to. I was going to return it yesterday but my car was blocked in so I'll try to go today instead.

I'm giving myself less goals for the next one, and more related to the no-buy. I put in a bunch of random stuff in this one, hahah!

@@eastofthesun I definitely think 29 goals for only 10 days is too much!  Maybe this can be your "master list", pick a few things to concentrate on throughout the 10 days, and remove them when you're done and ready to move on to the next 10 days?  

You have a lot of really complicated stuff on there!  Especially with all your grad school stuff going on!  Relax, enjoy your birthday, and take the day off!  

I'm a couple days late because I've been working but I didn't make any beauty purchases during these 10 days. I was also able to decrease my stash a bit. My empties for days 11-20:

empties2.jpg

Completed days 1-10 so here are my goals for 11-20.  I've included more general goals because listing them out seems to hold me more accountable for finishing them.

• Use a facial mask/peel twice.  Done
  • Use up 6 products, foils are okay.  Used 10!
  • Read another book.  Done
  • Watch at least one youtube tutorial video to learn how to use the stuff I already have better. Forgot this
  • I've been good about going to the gym 3x week for strength training but I'd like to add 2 cardio workouts during this 10 day period. Done
  • Wear my fitbit everyday and average 8k steps.   It's a lot harder to get in steps during the winter. Wore it every day but my average was only 6,698
  • Bonus goal - Car stuff.  Clean out car, replace windshield wipers, use rain beading stuff on windshield, and anti fog stuff on the inside.  Partly done, did windshield wipers, antifogging, and some cleaning
Too tired after work and gym to post on time lately :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  But these are the results, there's definitely room for improvement but I'm happy on my progress of using stuff up and maintaining a more consistent skin routine.  I did make a beauty purchase this period though; soon to be discontinued + sale + GWP + money from returning something was too much for me to resist.  It's at least something that isn't like anything else I own and was already considering purchasing.

Latest posts

Back