Days 11-20 of 100 day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Argh, I was so tempted today.  I was out shopping with the family for allowed things (curtains, laundry hamper, etc.) and happened upon a clearance of some Pacifica items.  They were available for a great price, and I was seriously considering it for a while.  But then my inner sensible person took charge and reminded me that I have a half-full moisturizer in my project pan and then ANOTHER full one ready to take its place as soon as I finish the first, so I really DO NOT NEED moisturizer, no matter how good the price is.  By the time I need to buy it again, I'm sure there will be another sale.  Happy that I resisted, but annoyed that I was tempted in the first place.

On a happier note, I wore eyeshadow today, and was able to sharpen my lip liner again.  It's now slightly smaller than my pinky.  Very excited.

I was extremely successful in my no-buy the last 10 days, bought nothing. However, was not too successful on the cleaning/organizing/exercising front, so these are my goals for this week:

1. Exercise at least 5x, use my new ballet DVD from Christmas, get more use out of my Fitbit (wear it daily!)

2. Renew our apartment lease

3. Go through all my samples and organize by use - use more samples, only used one sample item the last 10 days

4. Completely clean/deep clean the guest bathroom (my bathroom really)

5. Declutter/deep clean the living room

Argh, I was so tempted today.  I was out shopping with the family for allowed things (curtains, laundry hamper, etc.) and happened upon a clearance of some Pacifica items.  They were available for a great price, and I was seriously considering it for a while.  But then my inner sensible person took charge and reminded me that I have a half-full moisturizer in my project pan and then ANOTHER full one ready to take its place as soon as I finish the first, so I really DO NOT NEED moisturizer, no matter how good the price is.  By the time I need to buy it again, I'm sure there will be another sale.  Happy that I resisted, but annoyed that I was tempted in the first place.

On a happier note, I wore eyeshadow today, and was able to sharpen my lip liner again.  It's now slightly smaller than my pinky.  Very excited.
Good job resisting temptation! I think sales are the hardest part about the no-buy. That is where I am at my weakest.

I need to go sharpen some eyeliners for the week. Thanks for the reminder. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I did just fine the first 10 days of this project. Temptations the first few days reared their ugly heads but having had some successes on my project pan front basically kept me from trying to buy anything. That was good.  I've also been making a point to rotate my makeup stash weekly so that all items get some use along with the ones I am currently panning, and that has been helping stave the boredom. The only part I'm truly kind of sick of is in the blush department, but I might just need to start layering as a way to get some different colors into my life.

Otherwise, not too bad. Wore make up surprisingly every single day this week, so all items got just an extra bit of love, and it was fantastic. Played a bit with more complex looks as well as more simple looks to see how much I could amp them up or tone them down, and honestly... I think that's what got me into makeup. Just having fun with it. I need to keep that in mind constantly... beauty isn't meant to be a chore. it's meant to be a fun little slice of my day...so there's no need to sweat it. it's just makeup.

That has, surprisingly, helped a lot to keep the buy buy buy mentality away.

Woohoo! 10 days down! So excited to start days 11-20.

My mini goals for this period (not writing down not buying since that is understood):

1. Clean out and organize the linen closet. I'm not sure why I call it a linen closet, since there are no linens in there, lol. At any rate, it needs to be cleaned out and organized, especially since I can't find razors and I am pretty sure that I'm not out.

2. No processed foods. I did very well this past week. I cooked real food every day that I cooked (we had Chipotle on evening, which I am ok with). I want to keep that up and plan meals for every night. 

3. Walk consistently every work day. My building is enormous at work. To walk one loop of the hallways is 1/3 of mile, so I want to use half of my lunch each day to walk (especially since we have a healthcare challenge that uses fitbit activity to earn points and then there are all kinds of cool things we can purchase like designer purses or jewelry and electronics. It's a motivation to exercise, lol.

4. Get my work outfit ready (ironed, etc) ready the night before including accessories and jewelry. I started doing that this past week and it really helped me get out the door.

5. Use a mask twice during this period, Preferably during a bath with a book and glass of wine. 

Day 11: success. Even went to the gym! Just finished eating supper, will go use some of the face mask stuff in a jar from memebox. I feel like I've been concentrating too much on the sheet masks.

I feel good. I can't wait to pay off my discover card in February. I'd like to use up some of my indie samples, but then i get the whole "but they'll be gone and you'll miss them...buy full size so you don't miss out!" I feel like if I don't buy something, I'm going to miss out on something..but really, it's make up, and I need to keep remembering that!!

Day 11: success. Even went to the gym! Just finished eating supper, will go use some of the face mask stuff in a jar from memebox. I feel like I've been concentrating too much on the sheet masks.

I feel good. I can't wait to pay off my discover card in February. I'd like to use up some of my indie samples, but then i get the whole "but they'll be gone and you'll miss them...buy full size so you don't miss out!" I feel like if I don't buy something, I'm going to miss out on something..but really, it's make up, and I need to keep remembering that!!
If there is a product that you really love, allow yourself to purchase it after your no-buy is over. Chances are it will still be available then. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I had initally said I would not do weekly (sets of 10 days) goals but it also kind of works as a to do list for me:

Days 11-20

1. Use 1 hair mask, 1 face mask and paint nails 1x

2. Now that my makeup is inventoried find a way to organize it.  This may mean buying storage as opposed to using storage I have.  I will research how much storage I need and come up with a budget (if anyone has great storage ideas, or pictures I am very visual it is appreciated!)

3.  De baggie some indie shadows

4.  Find some indie shadows that went AWOL.  Hoping when I work on organization they will pop up.

5. Finish book I started last week (it is a library book and not due till 1/23 but I have another one to read and 2 to pick up!)

6. Start culling through stash for things I am not using.  Either swap or donate them.

7.  Continue to find things for donation pile and take bag when full.

Day 11: went to target and so far so good!  Had to buy a new deoderant as I used one up and attempted to use the travel one I had but it malfunctioned resulting in deoderant stuck in the cap and the base disconnected from the bottom!  I did pick up 5 $1 baskets for potential storage but if I do not use them by next weekend I will take them back.

Hope everyone gets their week off to an amazing start!

Fighting an urge not to sub to petit vour. I have to wait until march because I made a rule to only sub to 2 boxes a month. 

Otherwise doing well, although I traded one addiction (shopping) for another (sample collecting). I have to go cold turkey and find more positive things to do. Like finish my book and the hat I'm knitting.

Completed days 1-10 so here are my goals for 11-20.  I've included more general goals because listing them out seems to hold me more accountable for finishing them.

• Use a facial mask/peel twice.
  • Use up 6 products, foils are okay.  
  • Read another book.  
  • Watch at least one youtube tutorial video to learn how to use the stuff I already have better.
  • I've been good about going to the gym 3x week for strength training but I'd like to add 2 cardio workouts during this 10 day period.
  • Wear my fitbit everyday and average 8k steps.   It's a lot harder to get in steps during the winter.
  • Bonus goal - Car stuff.  Clean out car, replace windshield wipers, use rain beading stuff on windshield, and anti fog stuff on the inside.

Completed days 1-10 so here are my goals for 11-20.  I've included more general goals because listing them out seems to hold me more accountable for finishing them.

• Use a facial mask/peel twice.
  • Use up 6 products, foils are okay.  
  • Read another book.  
  • Watch at least one youtube tutorial video to learn how to use the stuff I already have better.
  • I've been good about going to the gym 3x week for strength training but I'd like to add 2 cardio workouts during this 10 day period.
  • Wear my fitbit everyday and average 8k steps.   It's a lot harder to get in steps during the winter.
  • Bonus goal - Car stuff.  Clean out car, replace windshield wipers, use rain beading stuff on windshield, and anti fog stuff on the inside.
Cleaning out the car is a good idea.... Definitely going to do that tomorrow.

Lots of Fitbit people here.  Anyone interested in starting a Fitbit group?  Or if I start one, would anyone sign up?

I have a Fitbit, too.  We get points through our health insurance at work and we can redeem them for gift cards.  I got like $300 in Amazon gift cards last year, which meant a fair amount of free cat food.

I actually get more steps in during the winter, though.  My dog is very big and black, and she does not like hot weather.  So I bundle up and we walk more when it's cold (which she seems to love).  Also I can take the stairs at work in winter (I work on the 8th floor) but not in summer because there is no AC in the stairwell and I don't want to arrive at the office drenched in sweat.

Accomplishment alert! I canceled my MSA Quarterly subscription as well as my Walmart Beauty Box today! $220 saved! The only subscriptions I have now are Birchbox and Popsugar and are prepaid.

BB is paid for a year because of a crazy sale at the end of 2014 and Popsugar is paid for six months for the same reason. Both were part of my husband's Christmas gift to me. With the crazy low price + my reviews, the BB just about pays for itself. Part of the Popsugar items will be saved to use for Christmas gifts for others. I got many Christmas gifts that way this year.

Meals for the week are planned and shopped for (with the exception of some fresh lettuce later in the week).

I exercised for 45 minutes today and am drinking lots of water.

I want to add painting my nails at least once to my list of 10 day goals. My current polish will probably only hold out for another day or so.

What about making a condition that you have to use up a certain amount of samples before you can buy a full size of the sample that you really like after the no buy is over (that sample has to be one of the ones you use up)?  Delaying buying the full size until you've used up the sample and a couple others gives you some time to think about if you really need it and if you really miss having it.  Maybe there's something else in your stash that's just as good or better.

I'm going to do something similar with lip products.  I've found a sample I really like and want to buy a full size but I'm going to wait until I finish off that sample and 4 other lip products (and after the 100 days).

What about making a condition that you have to use up a certain amount of samples before you can buy a full size of the sample that you really like after the no buy is over (that sample has to be one of the ones you use up)? Delaying buying the full size until you've used up the sample and a couple others gives you some time to think about if you really need it and if you really miss having it. Maybe there's something else in your stash that's just as good or better.

I'm going to do something similar with lip products. I've found a sample I really like and want to buy a full size but I'm going to wait until I finish off that sample and 4 other lip products (and after the 100 days).
That's what i should do-finish fhe samples, take pictures of the colors I like, and then see if I want them after my no buy.

I do pretty good with short term goals, but my long term goal is to continue with the no buy/low buy. I really need to pay down some debt-my goal is to get my debt paid down and then I can buy a new car-this is my long term goal through summer of 2016.

Lots of Fitbit people here.  Anyone interested in starting a Fitbit group?  Or if I start one, would anyone sign up?

I have a Fitbit, too.  We get points through our health insurance at work and we can redeem them for gift cards.  I got like $300 in Amazon gift cards last year, which meant a fair amount of free cat food.

I actually get more steps in during the winter, though.  My dog is very big and black, and she does not like hot weather.  So I bundle up and we walk more when it's cold (which she seems to love).  Also I can take the stairs at work in winter (I work on the 8th floor) but not in summer because there is no AC in the stairwell and I don't want to arrive at the office drenched in sweat.
Yes a fitbit group would be great!  I currently have a Garmin Vivofit  (bought to replace my Fitbit Force that was recalled) but I ordered the Fitbit Charge HR which will be here in 8-10 weeks -____-

I am able to get steps in and meet my goal pretty regularly.

I would love to be able to redeem my fitbit stuff for amazon GCs!  In the first 6 months I had my Garmin I walked 2,370,374 steps which was 1121.25 miles.  I miss the altimeter on the fitbit and can't wait till I get mine.

My goals for days 11-20

1. Continue no-buy on beauty products, basic hygiene items do not count, but I must be nearly out to replace ( no hoarding hygiene items)

2. Clean out car, it's gotten kinda tragic :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

3. Continue to scrutinize my keeps, checking for dupes, and finding great dupes in my stash for my high-end items

4. Watch YouTube videos for more makeup looks to try to get out of a rut with my look, but match colors from my stash.

5. Find an alternative to shopping and eating to deal with emotions. I think I'll try brushing my teeth more often to deal with the eating, I hate to eat right after I brush. Bonus-whiter smile!

Latest posts

Back