Days 31-40 of the 100 Day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got to feeling down yesterday, and I had a little binge. I was going to confess in detail, but I realized that would only reinforce the binge in my mind. 

Despite the binge, I found myself still wanting to come here and post, still wanting to work on my Glossybox of foils. I had moved my skincare and body care foils from a Birchbox to a Glossybox, and I added in my nail care, makeup, and hair care foils. I have 53 foils to finish as of now. 

I realized that posting here and doing project pan on my foils have become a habit. This has to be a good sign. So I am just going to keep trying. And I am going to change my signature to something that is less reinforcing of my failures and problems. 

@turntrekgodhead Happy Birthday Week :wizard:

@@Kristine Walker I hope you are feeling better and stronger everyday :hugs3:

@@EdithS2 Keep on trying. Don't give up. It was a hard day yesterday, but you also understood what caused the binge and want to continue using up items. As you say, that is a good sign :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I forgot to add using FitBook and working out to my goals. I have not done well yet. I plan to fill out my fitbook and put the info from yesterday in there.

I forgot to add using FitBook and working out to my goals. I have not done well yet. I plan to fill out my fitbook and put the info from yesterday in there.
I find it SO difficult to use any kind of tracking (computer program, app, or even a paper food diary) for any weight loss purposes.  I start out great and maybe even last a week or so and then I usually quit.  So here's hoping you will be much more successful than I ever was!

So I am contemplating fudging on the no-buy just a little bit.

I read today that they closed the Lip Smackers factory down.  So, like, I won't be able to get these anymore.  I have been addicted to the Dr. Pepper ones for more than two decades.  And if I wait another 70 days, Target probably won't have any more.  So I am planning to go to Target in a few minutes and buy out all they have left, and I am thinking this is OK because I will literally never be able to get these again.  I didn't set up this condition in my original list because it never occurred to me that it would be an issue.

(I need to stop beginning sentences with "so...")

I read today that they closed the Lip Smackers factory down.  So, like, I won't be able to get these anymore.  I have been addicted to the Dr. Pepper ones for more than two decades.  And if I wait another 70 days, Target probably won't have any more.  So I am planning to go to Target in a few minutes and buy out all they have left, and I am thinking this is OK because I will literally never be able to get these again.  I didn't set up this condition in my original list because it never occurred to me that it would be an issue.

I'm probably not the best one to respond, but I say go straight to Target. You are stocking up on an item that will no longer be available. That makes sense to me.

I find it SO difficult to use any kind of tracking (computer program, app, or even a paper food diary) for any weight loss purposes.  I start out great and maybe even last a week or so and then I usually quit.  So here's hoping you will be much more successful than I ever was!
It's my first time. I like planners and list so hopefully will like this!

I'm probably not the best one to respond, but I say go straight to Target. You are stocking up on an item that will no longer be available. That makes sense to me.
I already did.  Only $9 and some change for the last 6 they had.  (I don't feel too bad.  It is not an expensive item and these last forever.)  I may check Walgreens tomorrow.

I don't feel up to no buy any more right now. My heart is not in it. 

The no buy was great - I got my things organized so well, and enjoyed it. But after one month I am already burned out. In years past I could do a no buy for over four months. Maybe I can start a no buy again later. 

Last edited by a moderator:
@@SneakyBurrito

I also broke my No Buy for this. I bought a Girl Scout Cookie set and the Disney Princess Party Pack online from Amazon and eBay.  I have used Lipsmackers since they first came out in 1974! (I believe that was the year) I never imagined that Lipsmackers would go away, but learning the news I decided it was worth an exception to my No Buy rules. I will be storing mine for future use.

I really wanted Vanilla, Dr. Pepper, Watermelon, and Strawberry but I didn't find a great price with free shipping on them. So sad to see a part of my childhood disappear.

I read today that they closed the Lip Smackers factory down. So, like, I won't be able to get these anymore. I have been addicted to the Dr. Pepper ones for more than two decades. And if I wait another 70 days, Target probably won't have any more. So I am planning to go to Target in a few minutes and buy out all they have left, and I am thinking this is OK because I will literally never be able to get these again. I didn't set up this condition in my original list because it never occurred to me that it would be an issue.

Omg, my bubble gum flavor!!! Ugh!!! Why?

Bonne Bell was my introduction to beauty - lip smackers, Ten O Six Lotion. I am old enough to recall when they sold Ten O Six in gallon jugs. Imagine using that up in a no buy! 

I did post a link to some vintage Bonne Bell ads, but I edited and took it off as I was afraid it was not allowed. 

I agree that buying the last of Bonne Bell warrants breaking a no buy. This is history! 

Let's keep this No-Buy going strong! I was sorely tempted to stress-shop but managed to fight the urge.

My husband has walking pneumonia, I've been sick myself, and of course as most people know, my Momma is bedridden. Despite being sick I've had to wait hand and hoof on Momma and DH, not my idea of a good time to say the least! Hopefully I will get well soon which will make taking care of them much easier.

How is everyone else doing?

My husband has walking pneumonia, I've been sick myself, and of course as most people know, my Momma is bedridden. Despite being sick I've had to wait hand and hoof on Momma and DH, not my idea of a good time to say the least! Hopefully I will get well soon which will make taking care of them much easier.     How is everyone else doing?
Hi Kristine - hope all is better soon. I have really gone off track with a binge. But I have decided to get back on track by:

1. Continuing to systematically use up my Glossybox of foils.

2. Anything new I bought on my binge, I will not open. I will put them in a tote bag my father brought me from a cruise to Mexico he just got back from. It will be a reminder that if I stick to my no buy, I can go on a cruise too - and then I can buy duty free! I cannot touch the bag until April 10. I will only allow myself to use any foils that come with my orders, adding them to my foils box. 

3. If I get any store credit from the large Sephora return I did, I cannot use it until April 10. 

Still doing well other than the 6 Lip Smackers I bought from Target (under $10 and since the factory closed, I figure that's justified).  Not using up as many products lately as I am getting into full-size items and all the 90% empty bottles from my shower are almost gone.

I had a small slip-up. I was shocked to see Orofluido at TJMaxx, and picked it up for $6. They also had 3 Karuna masks for $3 a pop. A $15 fail, but I'll just dust myself off and keep trying.

I had a small slip-up. I was shocked to see Orofluido at TJMaxx, and picked it up for $6. They also had 3 Karuna masks for $3 a pop. A $15 fail, but I'll just dust myself off and keep trying.
I like your Project  14 Pan video! 

I've learned there are little slipups, which don't set the no buy back that much, and huge, fatal ones! I bought some things, but that was no big deal compared to what I was planning! 

I saw a GWP I was dying for at a department store. I decided to get that store's charge card to get it. The charge has not arrived yet, but I've decided, once it comes, to close it without using it. I know if I get it I will be tempted to buy nonstop and then I will have another credit card balance to pay off. I know me. That would be a horrible setback to my no buy, and I would be hurting myself - a lot! Been there, done that.  

I told myself I can get the GWP if and only if I can afford it - no charging. And I am also trying to tell myself these gifts always appear later at different department stores - in another incarnation just as good, often even better. 

ETA: I think it's useful to slip up on the no buy, then recover and prove to myself that I can come back. I'm a black and white perfectionist thinker, and in past years I have done no buys, have been doing really well, but as soon as I made one slip I'd go on a big shopping binge, and go back to my old way, because I thought I was a failure.

New goal for rest of period: prove to myself I can come back from slipup and complete successful no buy! 

Love your new goal! I used to be a black and white thinker too and with a lot of work I was able to change it. Now I don't worry about little missteps which in turn makes me not be down as a result. The main reason for changing this mind set was dieting. Once I let go off dieting, I lost weight. I eat what I want to eat but in moderation and don't feel guilty about treating myself. It didn't happen overnight but over time of many years. I'm still currently on no buy myself (except don't consider my current subscriptions Birchbox and Pop Sugar Must Have in this because they are my only "treats" for myself. I had several others but stopped them in an effort to get less stuff so in my eyes I'm doing much better compared to what was :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> ) because I realized I have too much makeup and skin care. Need to use up what I have before buying more although it will take me years to use up what I have. lol I'm with you on GWP. GWP used to be the main reason why I would continuously get new new stuff. Then I realized that brands always have GWPs so if I don't buy this time, most likely they will have another GWP in the near future. Besides did I really need another GWP and more samples or sample size makeup and skin care that just sit there unused. The answer is no. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

Decided to post where I am in the plan .... these 10 days almost done, and almost ready to begin the last 10 days of the first half. 

At the beginning of the 100 days, I felt very strong, not tempted by much. Before beginning this plan, I was not using any of my beauty products. Although I kept getting more things, all I did was wash my hair (shampoo only, no other products), and use shower gel and sometimes face cleanser. That was all. At the beginning of the 100 day no buy, I was doing my nails, and bringing hand cream and lipstick to work. I soon got tired of doing all those things. 

As the no buy progressed, I put all my foil samples in a pretty box and began systematically using them, in addition to a sample mascara I opened at the start of the no buy and a large bottle of lily shampoo that is near the end and that I keep in the shower. 

Last Sunday - Super Bowl Sunday - I cracked and gave in and bought some things I had been wanting. I figured my no buy was an epic fail, and it was through. 

But Monday morning, I got up early and got my box of foils and kept right on with my project of using them up. I now use cleanser morning and night, serum and cream morning and night, styling cream or conditioner, mascara. I enjoyed using my foils while watching an old movie on my computer. I realized I'd formed a good new habit. 

I realized using foils has stuck with me because every two or three days I get the treat of getting an empty and trying something new. I decided to continue until all my foils are gone, then move on to deluxe samples, finally to full size items. 

When my parcels came with the items I got in my cheat binge, I put them away untouched for later, only adding the foils I was given with the orders to my current use up pile, and keeping any pretty boxes included to store the foils. This way I am reinforcing my good new habit, not the binge. 

I also realized I don't feel like using a lot of my full sized items right now as I charged them, they represent a debt, I need to pay for them. Looking at them makes me feel guilty and anxious, so I keep them hidden in beauty boxes. Later, when they are paid for, I can enjoy them more. 

So even though the no buy has not gone as perfectly as I would have liked, I have found myself with new habits, so that is a great thing.

Love the idea of putting all your samples in a pretty box. I'm going to try a similar tactic by getting all my foils organized in one place so that they are easily accessible and I can choose which ones to try by looking at them all in one place. Now they are scattered all over the place and I either forget about them or I can't find what I'm looking for (moisturizer for example) so I don't use any and just end up using my regular products. I made an effort this week to pull out a few samples taking baby steps to start using them and so far so good. Just still need to get better organized. My no buy went out the window temporarily thanks to Memebox recommendations  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">  and seeing some good deals on Gilt for makeup but I don't consider it a major set back. I'm still ahead of the game with not buying nearly as much so I consider it a major progress in the right direction. Instead of thinking, "I blew it, what else can I buy now?", I only bought the things I bought at the time and didn't think about it after that. Back to my no buy.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">   

Latest posts

Back