Depotting debate...? hmmmm

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liz

Reaction score
I'm debating on depotting my eye shadows and putting them into 15 pan palettes. I have a little over 60 shadows now. I like having things all the same, and I don't have a MAC Pro store near me, so I hate the fact that the pot shadows are $13 and the pans are like $9, so I would be wasting $$. I want to do it so i can get lippies for b2mac! lol.

So, is it worth it?

hehe.

i just don't like the fact that i'm wasting the money from the pots vs. pans price.

plus i'd have to buy the palettes.

how many plastic things do i have to take back to get a lippie? is it just lippies or can i get glosses or anything?

i'm also on the fence about it since i'm not exactly a big lippie person either. hmmm..............................

Originally Posted by lizzyb831 I'm debating on depotting my eye shadows and putting them into 15 pan palettes. I have a little over 60 shadows now. I like having things all the same, and I don't have a MAC Pro store near me, so I hate the fact that the pot shadows are $13 and the pans are like $9, so I would be wasting $$. I want to do it so i can get lippies for b2mac! lol.
So, is it worth it?

i depot mine if they come in pots. i like the palettes so much better. and i like that shadows are cheaper in the pans lol theni can afford more shadows lol and well if you have that many pots yu can get a nice lipstick collection going lol maybe if you are nice to me i can pick you up some palettes i have them available near me (but i don't have paypal that's the only problem)

lol angela. i'll have to check out the mac store the next time i go to the big mall to see how i like the palettes, like size wise.

how much are the pans? i'm thinking they're $9...?

Sometimes the LE colors aren't available in pan form (like Pollen, I had to depot that one myself). I think getting palettes is the best way to organize your stash!

Originally Posted by lizzyb831 lol angela. i'll have to check out the mac store the next time i go to the big mall to see how i like the palettes, like size wise.
how much are the pans? i'm thinking they're $9...?

they are $9.50they are very thin i love how thin the palettes are they don't take up much space

Originally Posted by Joyeuux Sometimes the LE colors aren't available in pan form (like Pollen, I had to depot that one myself). I think getting palettes is the best way to organize your stash! that's true the LE ones aren't in pans you have to depot those i had to do all mymadame b shadows

I just got into depotting & palette'ing... heck I've only recently got into MAC! LOL I have filled up a 15-pan (mostly de-potted e/s, only 4 are refill pans) and I have a cd case that I've used to make my own palette for the time being! ($$ is low! lol) But I do like the free lippies, and it does make carrying it around much easier! (Usually because I'm too lazy to do my eyes in the morning & usually do it on lunch! lol) Here are my palettes... please don't laugh TOO hard at the cd case... LMAO! (They hold pretty good w/ the leftover glue!) And the hack job on Brill & Meadowland was where I gouged (sp?) my tweezers into them before I found a way to depot them flawlessly! (Go figure!) I now use a lighter, & an

X-Acto hobby knife - heat up the pan plastic... push the knife right through the center on the bottom and pan lifts right out. Totally unharmed, and the plastic only gets a little slash in it - instead of a huge one from a reg. screwdriver.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I just got into depotting & palette'ing... heck I've only recently got into MAC! LOL I have filled up a 15-pan (mostly de-potted e/s, only 4 are refill pans) and I have a cd case that I've used to make my own palette for the time being! ($$ is low! lol) But I do like the free lippies, and it does make carrying it around much easier! (Usually because I'm too lazy to do my eyes in the morning & usually do it on lunch! lol) Here are my palettes... please don't laugh TOO hard at the cd case... LMAO! (They hold pretty good w/ the leftover glue!) And the hack job on Brill & Meadowland was where I gouged (sp?) my tweezers into them before I found a way to depot them flawlessly! (Go figure!) I now use a lighter, & an X-Acto hobby knife - heat up the pan plastic... push the knife right through the center on the bottom and pan lifts right out. Totally unharmed, and the plastic only gets a little slash in it - instead of a huge one from a reg. screwdriver.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

girl did u see my homemade palette? loli love this depotting site http://www.makeupaddict.org/maceyedepot.html

i wish i had thought of using the bottom sticker b4 i found this site then i'd have the bottom sticker on all my mac shadows i wrote in marker on the magnet but the sticker looks nicer.

and knock on wood i haven't had any depotting casualties.

I definitely agree - depotting is the way to go! I've got 3 4-pans filled, and I've got a 15-pan on it's way to me, so I'll be depotting 6 or so more e/s to put in my 15-pan. The best part is that palettes take up less space and you get free lipsticks!

wait, the 15 pan is $9.50? or the 4 pan is $9.50?

I want the 15 pan. lol. prolly get an empty 4 pan if I'm going somewhere like Angela is doing. I would need 5 15 pan palettes and 1 4 pan.

hmm.. should i leave my LE palettes in their original pans or put them in with the 15 pan palette?

Now I gotta find the thin magnet things! lol. hopefully they come in like paper sized sheets. i don't have any of the pizza place magnets. I'm OCD, so i like having all the stuff match. and nice. so this is going to be a big project! especially with how many shadows i have now that i would have to depot!

i was worried about the LE stuff and having to get them from a pro store to get a pan. since the LE stuff doesn't come in pans, it doesn't matter then. lol.

i don't have those kinds cookings tongs though
frown.gif

Originally Posted by lizzyb831 wait, the 15 pan is $9.50? or the 4 pan is $9.50?
I want the 15 pan. lol. prolly get an empty 4 pan if I'm going somewhere like Angela is doing. I would need 5 15 pan palettes and 1 4 pan.

hmm.. should i leave my LE palettes in their original pans or put them in with the 15 pan palette?

Now I gotta find the thin magnet things! lol. hopefully they come in like paper sized sheets. i don't have any of the pizza place magnets. I'm OCD, so i like having all the stuff match. and nice. so this is going to be a big project! especially with how many shadows i have now that i would have to depot!

i was worried about the LE stuff and having to get them from a pro store to get a pan. since the LE stuff doesn't come in pans, it doesn't matter then. lol.

frown.gif

the 15 pan palette is like $13.50 and the shadow pans themselves are $9.50. 4 pans are $3.50
i don't use thost tongs i use an old fork that i have that doesn't match my set i put the shadow on there and hold it over the flame. until the plastic starts to melt

Originally Posted by Anya1976 girl did u see my homemade palette? loli love this depotting site http://www.makeupaddict.org/maceyedepot.html

i wish i had thought of using the bottom sticker b4 i found this site then i'd have the bottom sticker on all my mac shadows i wrote in marker on the magnet but the sticker looks nicer.

and knock on wood i haven't had any depotting casualties.

Good Idea for the labels! I would try peeling it w/o heat - and it would start to rip, so I'd just leave it and write the name down. For my MAC Palette, I have a piece of paper w/ the names in the order the pans are in... now I just have to buy little round labels to stick to the upper lid of the palette (in the order of pans) and just pencil on the names. The CD case palette, well you see how thats labeled! LOL
icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted by lizzyb831 wait, the 15 pan is $9.50? or the 4 pan is $9.50?

frown.gif

Check out the depotting thread that was made a sticky at the top of the Make-up forum. Also, since you arent a fan of lippies, maybe you can swap your empties for other stuff that you may want..like pigments.

Originally Posted by Anya1976 the 15 pan palette is like $13.50 and the shadow pans themselves are $9.50. 4 pans are $3.50
i don't use thost tongs i use an old fork that i have that doesn't match my set i put the shadow on there and hold it over the flame. until the plastic starts to melt

I just hold it on the edge of the plastic w/ tweezers.
icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Good Idea for the labels! I would try peeling it w/o heat - and it would start to rip, so I'd just leave it and write the name down. For my MAC Palette, I have a piece of paper w/ the names in the order the pans are in... now I just have to buy little round labels to stick to the upper lid of the palette (in the order of pans) and just pencil on the names. The CD case palette, well you see how thats labeled! LOL
icon_redface.gif
if you heat it they come off so easy then i just cut around the name part where it lists the name and the finish so it fits on the magnet. and the ones i didn't have the pot for i used the heat to peel off the sticker from the box. here's the one i did with vexit's blurry stupid crappy camera

vex-back01.jpg

Originally Posted by Anya1976 if you heat it they come off so easy then i just cut around the name part where it lists the name and the finish so it fits on the magnet. and the ones i didn't have the pot for i used the heat to peel off the sticker from the box. here's the one i did with vexit's blurry stupid crappy camera

vex-back01.jpg

I wish I knew all of this before they went "Back 2 MAC"!! LOL
icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I wish I knew all of this before they went "Back 2 MAC"!! LOL
icon_rolleyes.gif
yea i know lol i have 6 of them that went back b4 i did all mine.

Originally Posted by Anya1976 yea i know lol i have 6 of them that went back b4 i did all mine. Only my 4 refill pans have labels - the rest are going 'incognito' until I get labels! LOL
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Only my 4 refill pans have labels - the rest are going 'incognito' until I get labels! LOL
icon_cheesygrin.gif
did you throw away the boxes? the ones i didn't have the label from the pot i used from the box i heated the sticker til it lifted off

Latest posts

Back