(Discussion) Secret Santa 2013 is coming soon!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, it's about what the person you're giving the gift to likes, not what you like. I know I personally think MAC is overpriced and would never want it, give me drug store (especially from asia!) makeup any day.
My favorite brand -- across all levels of price and prestige -- at the moment is a German drugstore brand that happens to also sell what seems to be only about a quarter of their line in the US. Their prices are slightly higher than Wet'n'Wild and NYC but lower than pretty much everything else, and I love their stuff. My essence collection, let me show you it. My dream (and one if these days, I should actively seek someone out who can help with this on an ongoing basis) would be someone in another country who could get their hands on all of the essence trend editions and products they don't sell in the US. Snow Jam! All of the gel/mousse/sorbet eye shimmers! The non-FDA-approved colors! And keep in mind that you are almost guaranteed to get drugstore things. That's just the nature of the beast. Some forumites in smaller towns just don't have access to the same lines as those in larger cities.

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Especially drug store makeup from Taiwan!  It would be so much fun to try some international makeup and beauty items!  Makeupthecat, you have such a great advantage, so many ladies here would LOVE to have you as a Secret Santa!

Like kawaiimeows said, it's all about what the other person wants!  Just check out their wish list, and have fun 
hug.gif

Exactly! Many of us would love to try things out that we just simply can not get where we live (makeup, skincare....*cough*candy*cough*). And some of us (i.e., like me who live on a mountain many hours from a Nordstrom, if there is even one in this state, lol.) might not be able to use a giftcard to specific places. It really is all about having fun- If someone reallllly wants a mac eyeshadow, you could grab that and maybe find a few cool drugstore items that are specific to your country (assuming it's not on their do-no-want list). I know I'd be a happy camper (except replace MAC with my wanted item)!

I have read that a lot of you ladies would love some "International" goodies. Can we request a Secret Santa that isn't international? I would really have no use for foreign make-up. Or can we put on our wish list "no international make-up"? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by MissRoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I have read that a lot of you ladies would love some "International" goodies. Can we request a Secret Santa that isn't international? I would really have no use for foreign make-up. Or can we put on our wish list "no international make-up"? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

When you register you can put US only or open to all countries. You get to decide how you want to do the Secret Santa.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jazbot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When you register you can put US only or open to all countries. You get to decide how you want to do the Secret Santa.

Thank You!! I'm such a basic make-up gal that I can barely keep up with the brands here in the US let alone in a different country!!

Thank You!! I'm such a basic make-up gal that I can barely keep up with the brands here in the US let alone in a different country!!
For me, the key to international-or-not comes down to *shipping* internationally. Higher postage costs and dealing with Customs forms can be problematic (weird periodic anxiety issues over here).

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For me, the key to international-or-not comes down to *shipping* internationally. Higher postage costs and dealing with Customs forms can be problematic (weird periodic anxiety issues over here).

I'm anxious about the shipping too, (I know places like Italy can be really difficult custom-wise, or so I've heard) but I'm willing to take the chance lol. It's my "living-life-on-the-edge" thing. =p

And yeah, you ladies and gents can put anything you want on your do-no-want list...I mean, it's your list and life  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  

Quote: Originally Posted by slinka /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm anxious about the shipping too, (I know places like Italy can be really difficult custom-wise, or so I've heard) but I'm willing to take the chance lol. It's my "living-life-on-the-edge" thing. =p

And yeah, you ladies and gents can put anything you want on your do-no-want list...I mean, it's your list and life  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  

I wouldn't stress *too* much about it. As far as I'm aware there weren't too many Internationals who signed up last year.

Quote: Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Honestly, it's about what the person you're giving the gift to likes, not what you like. I know I personally think MAC is overpriced and would never want it, give me drug store (especially from asia!) makeup any day.

My favorite brand -- across all levels of price and prestige -- at the moment is a German drugstore brand that happens to also sell what seems to be only about a quarter of their line in the US. Their prices are slightly higher than Wet'n'Wild and NYC but lower than pretty much everything else, and I love their stuff. My essence collection, let me show you it. My dream (and one if these days, I should actively seek someone out who can help with this on an ongoing basis) would be someone in another country who could get their hands on all of the essence trend editions and products they don't sell in the US. Snow Jam! All of the gel/mousse/sorbet eye shimmers! The non-FDA-approved colors!

And keep in mind that you are almost guaranteed to get drugstore things. That's just the nature of the beast. Some forumites in smaller towns just don't have access to the same lines as those in larger cities.
I live in Germany but I have only maybe tried one or two things from Essence your post makes me want to try more.

I wonder about the different FDA guidelines in overseas makeup. I am sure it is safe. I never thought to pick any up on any of my trips. Does anyone know a good Italian brand? My best friend is going to Italy in a couple of months. This may be my chance to pick up some.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jac13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wonder about the different FDA guidelines in overseas makeup. I am sure it is safe. I never thought to pick any up on any of my trips. Does anyone know a good Italian brand? My best friend is going to Italy in a couple of months. This may be my chance to pick up some.

Lalya Cosmetics. I've never used their makeup since it's not sold in the US but I have their nail polish and love their polishes.

Quote: Originally Posted by JC327 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My favorite brand -- across all levels of price and prestige -- at the moment is a German drugstore brand that happens to also sell what seems to be only about a quarter of their line in the US. Their prices are slightly higher than Wet'n'Wild and NYC but lower than pretty much everything else, and I love their stuff. My essence collection, let me show you it. My dream (and one if these days, I should actively seek someone out who can help with this on an ongoing basis) would be someone in another country who could get their hands on all of the essence trend editions and products they don't sell in the US. Snow Jam! All of the gel/mousse/sorbet eye shimmers! The non-FDA-approved colors!

And keep in mind that you are almost guaranteed to get drugstore things. That's just the nature of the beast. Some forumites in smaller towns just don't have access to the same lines as those in larger cities.
I live in Germany but I have only maybe tried one or two things from Essence your post makes me want to try more.

I just checked out Essence on Ulta's page and got SO excited when I saw they have a GWP right now... until I saw that it's a Justin Bieber "Believe" Tour tote bag with a $10 purchase.

I might have to pass on this one, lol.  

I just checked out Essence on Ulta's page and got SO excited when I saw they have a GWP right now... until I saw that it's a Justin Bieber "Believe" Tour tote bag with a $10 purchase.

bahahahahaha *dying*

Quote: Originally Posted by MissRoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a US shipping address but since I am overseas a customs form is still needed. I have no idea why since our mail basically gets sent to NY then rerouted to us.

Quote: Originally Posted by JC327 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lmao, I will have to check and see if they have some of the things I see over here.

Ok...I've been wondering this- If we sign up to be an international Santa, does that mean we are going to be matched with an international Santa, as well?...or, not necessarily?...or, do I have this all wrong?! Lol

Latest posts

Back