(Discussion) Secret Santa 2013 is coming soon!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have until November 1 to gain those posts. Easy really if you just post twice a day.

I confess that I always think, "Oh, no! I hope my post count is high enough!" Which... Uh, yeah, I think I'm good. MissRoe, we get wishlists. One of the really fun parts is "shopping" our existing stashes for extras from those lists to send along that won't cause us to spend extra money above and beyond the dollar limit.

Quote: Originally Posted by nikkimouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I would not be lying if I said I've been waiting for this all year!!!!!
I'm with you. I love this time of year.

This year I'm doing wish lists a little different than last year. Instead of posting specific items like, "I'd love UD lipstick in Fiend" for example it'll be a list of likes and dislikes of certain products. For example:

Quote: Likes:

• Colors: Jewel tones - Dark blues, dark greens, rich reds, dark pinks, vivid purples.
  • Products: lip liners, lip sticks, lip balm, shadows (cream or powder), blush, eye/face masks, lashes
  • Brands: Any
  • Flavors: strawberry, lemon, vanilla, mint, cinnamon

Avoid:

• Perfume unless gardenia, Jasmine or rose.
  • Raspberries (allergic)
  • Sticky masks like Freeman Beauty's Cucumber peel off masks.

The reason I'm going this route is because I'm going to treat it more as a "surprise box" akin to a subscription box in which the recipient has zero clue on what's coming. I want to avoid the posting of specific items on a list because if a recipient doesn't get that item then she (or he) may be disappointed. The list is more as a guidance for the Secret Santa since the gift should be a surprise and not a personal shopping list.

Sounds like fun, can't wait to sign up.
smile.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  This year I'm doing wish lists a little different than last year. Instead of posting specific items like, "I'd love UD lipstick in Fiend" for example it'll be a list of likes and dislikes of certain products. For example:

The reason I'm going this route is because I'm going to treat it more as a "surprise box" akin to a subscription box in which the recipient has zero clue on what's coming. I want to avoid the posting of specific items on a list because if a recipient doesn't get that item then she (or he) may be disappointed. The list is more as a guidance for the Secret Santa since the gift should be a surprise and not a personal shopping list.
Isn't a specific wish list better in the sense that you don't get the recipient something they already own? It wouldn't affect me personally, because I don't have a large collection of beauty items. However, some members on here have an amazing collection & may get disappointed if they receive a dupe.

Love the surprise idea concept and the using a general list of likes/dislikes.

Can't wait to sign up.

Quote: Originally Posted by Animezing /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Isn't a specific wish list better in the sense that you don't get the recipient something they already own?

Last year when people had specific items and didn't get the things on their list a few people complained to me privately. Of course if a person wants to put down what they own that's fine or utilize the review system to list what they own that's fine as well. When people posted, last year, "anything" some Secret Santas contacted me to ask their recipient to be more specific which is why I think creating your own list of wants in your own profile also helps your Secret Santa. Last year I utilized several areas of the site to know my recipient better - I checked out her profile, her posts and her trade list to see what she wanted.

Here's what I mean by using the review system's "Own It", "Had It" "Want It" with the lists generated in your profile.

My own profile: https://www.makeuptalk.com/u/74012/zadidoll

Scroll to the bottom where it says "Zadidoll's List" and click on any of the lists. Example, https://www.makeuptalk.com/lists/display/view/id/32048

I just created a new list called "WANTED" https://www.makeuptalk.com/lists/display/view/id/36323 (it's currently empty). From there I'll add things to my list. (If a product is not in the database let me know and I'll add it ASAP.)

Last year when people had specific items and didn't get the things on their list a few people complained to me privately. Of course if a person wants to put down what they own that's fine or utilize the review system to list what they own that's fine as well. When people posted, last year, "anything" some Secret Santas contacted me to ask their recipient to be more specific which is why I think creating your own list of wants in your own profile also helps your Secret Santa. Last year I utilized several areas of the site to know my recipient better - I checked out her profile, her posts and her trade list to see what she wanted.

Here's what I mean by using the review system's "Own It", "Had It" "Want It" with the lists generated in your profile.

My own profile: https://www.makeuptalk.com/u/74012/zadidoll

Scroll to the bottom where it says "Zadidoll's List" and click on any of the lists. Example, https://www.makeuptalk.com/lists/display/view/id/32048

I just created a new list called "WANTED" https://www.makeuptalk.com/lists/display/view/id/36323 (it's currently empty). From there I'll add things to my list. (If a product is not in the database let me know and I'll add it ASAP.)

Oh I see, thanks for the clarification and tips. Your reply was extremely helpful & I will be sure to utilize the areas you mentioned. 
smile.gif

Not much of a poster lol. I have been a member close to a year. I am participating in a holiday box swap for Halloween on fb, would love to do this one too:)

Latest posts

Back