(Discussion) Secret Santa 2013 is coming soon!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm going to have to get in on this! 
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Donna529 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have I hit 50 yet:p

If you're trying to rack up posts, you could go play in the "for fun" or whatever it's called threads. =p

Quote: Originally Posted by MakeuptheCat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  This sounds exciting and I'm going to participate when the time comes :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Normally Christmas isn't exciting for me because I live in Taiwan by myself and Christmas isn't celebrated here.  I suppose if I were with my family we'd put up a Christmas tree and drive around looking at lights (in America).

But I looked at the posts from last year's pictures, and the gifts look so beautiful, lovely, and generous.  I'm afraid I'm going to f*** it all up and give something ugly or dumb >.>

I'm sure someone will be delighted to get something from Taiwan that they can't get in the US.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm sure someone will be delighted to get something from Taiwan that they can't get in the US.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Some people on the forum are a wee bit more obsessed with Asian makeup than they should be. And by "some people," I mean "people named meaganola." Also, don't be worried about OMG CHRISTMAS! I don't really do Christmas, but it's just *fun* to get surprise makeup in the mail. It's one of the biggest reasons I do subscription boxes! The only way you can really mess up is if you send the opposite of the wish list and instead send a bunch of stuff on the DO NOT WANT list. This happened to me once upon a time, but on the up side, new things to add to the swap list.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Some people on the forum are a wee bit more obsessed with Asian makeup than they should be. And by "some people," I mean "people named meaganola." Also, don't be worried about OMG CHRISTMAS! I don't really do Christmas, but it's just *fun* to get surprise makeup in the mail. It's one of the biggest reasons I do subscription boxes! The only way you can really mess up is if you send the opposite of the wish list and instead send a bunch of stuff on the DO NOT WANT list. This happened to me once upon a time, but on the up side, new things to add to the swap list.
I'm right there with you! I love Asian makeup, lol.

And I don't really like Christmas, but I like surprising people and I LOVE (literally, it's not a healthy love. I sign up for free samples just because I like getting mail.) getting surprise packages lol.

And I second the "not sending things on the do not want list". You really can't screw it up too bad, unless you're trying to. (Or if someone decides to be a jerk- some people can't be satisfied and that's not your problem, really.)

I'm right there with you! I love Asian makeup, lol. And I don't really like Christmas, but I like surprising people and I LOVE (literally, it's not a healthy love. I sign up for free samples just because I like getting mail.) getting surprise packages lol. And I second the "not sending things on the do not want list". You really can't screw it up too bad, unless you're trying to. (Or if someone decides to be a jerk- some people can't be satisfied and that's not your problem, really.)
Hmmmmm great idea! I'll be going to Southeast Asia this month so mayda I should get something for this purpose

I am definitely going to join. What is the amount you have to spend?

Last year it was $25.  I am sure some people spent more, or shopped their stashes for unused items that were on the person's wish list.  A lot of people hit up the black Friday sales and use coupons!  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jac13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am definitely going to join. What is the amount you have to spend?

Oh ok. That is not bad. I have a lot of polishes around 30 that I have never open. So I will be able to pad whoever I get providing they like some of that stuff. This should be fun.

Shopping your stash for these things is seriously fun. I did a build-your-own box swap on another forum this past spring. The point of that swap was to pull from your stash, but some people did go out and buy everything because they weren't subscribed to any boxes (some people lived in countries where subscriptions just weren't available), but I was able to put together a box pulling solely from my stash. It was actually hard to edit it down to fit in the shipping box! I did end up buying something, but that was because I was sending it to someone who specifically wanted Zoya Storm because she couldn't get it *anywhere* (she was Canadian, and Zoya doesn't ship there, and she couldn't find any other place to get it), and I think *everyone* should have that one. It's also nice if you have a habit of buying sets of eyeliners/lipsticks/perfume rollerballs but only use some of the colors/scents and then get someone with preferences exactly opposite of yours. More stuff to send out to clear out your will-never-use stash and not count against your limit!

Shopping your stash for these things is seriously fun. I did a build-your-own box swap on another forum this past spring. The point of that swap was to pull from your stash, but some people did go out and buy everything because they weren't subscribed to any boxes (some people lived in countries where subscriptions just weren't available), but I was able to put together a box pulling solely from my stash. It was actually hard to edit it down to fit in the shipping box! I did end up buying something, but that was because I was sending it to someone who specifically wanted Zoya Storm because she couldn't get it *anywhere* (she was Canadian, and Zoya doesn't ship there, and she couldn't find any other place to get it), and I think *everyone* should have that one.

It's also nice if you have a habit of buying sets of eyeliners/lipsticks/perfume rollerballs but only use some of the colors/scents and then get someone with preferences exactly opposite of yours. More stuff to send out to clear out your will-never-use stash and not count against your limit!

Makes me wish I was subscribed to boxes, purely for the gifts I could give from them, lol.

Shopping your stash for these things is seriously fun. I did a build-your-own box swap on another forum this past spring. The point of that swap was to pull from your stash, but some people did go out and buy everything because they weren't subscribed to any boxes (some people lived in countries where subscriptions just weren't available), but I was able to put together a box pulling solely from my stash. It was actually hard to edit it down to fit in the shipping box! I did end up buying something, but that was because I was sending it to someone who specifically wanted Zoya Storm because she couldn't get it *anywhere* (she was Canadian, and Zoya doesn't ship there, and she couldn't find any other place to get it), and I think *everyone* should have that one.

It's also nice if you have a habit of buying sets of eyeliners/lipsticks/perfume rollerballs but only use some of the colors/scents and then get someone with preferences exactly opposite of yours. More stuff to send out to clear out your will-never-use stash and not count against your limit!

Oh that sounds like it was fun!

As for those wondering, the spending limit is still $25 (no less than $20, no more than $30). If you shop from your "stash" that's fine so long as the items are new and unopened/unused. As it's been mentioned, the best places to shops are sales - ULTA just wrapped up their daily deals for September and the next one may be in November but they'll definitely have Black Friday sales (for those in the US), same with Sephora. OMG, LOVE their Black Friday deals. Of course Sephora also has their clearance section which I buy for myself and others since it's a great way to pick up a palette that sold for $50 for like $20 or even less.

Latest posts

Back