Do any of you cut/trim your own hair?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am guilty of doing it
icon_redface.gif
I only trim though--no major cuts

I use the "Marianna" scissors and cut my own bangs. I'm not terribly good at it but it would be simply too expensive to keep going back to a hairstylist every time my bangs got past eye level!

Originally Posted by SamanthaBNYC If you want to save money, many salons have student nights and will cut your hair for a cheaper (or even free) rate. I got my last haircut (for free) that way: I was riding the subway home and an assistant stylist from bumble & bumble walked up to me and told me that she was training there and they were having a "long hair" class and she needed a "head of hair" and asked me to come in. You just have to be open for a change, but for me the cut didn't end up being drastic. My old boss had a similar thing happen for her last hair cut (but it was at Frederic Fekkai). newyorkmetro.com lists salons that have student nights if you're in the New York City area. Some of them even offer good hours to come in (way before work or after work, rather than during lunch hour). The weird thing is is that I have a bit of a fear of hairdressers (when I was 7 a hairdresser tried to cut my bangs and she cut them and my eyelid and it hurt like crazy, then when she finished I had the same bangs as "Shemp" from the "3 Stooges"), so I try to avoid salons. Most of the time, since my hair is on the longer side (lower back), I just cut my own hair. What I do is part it down the middle, then pull it to the back and hold it in my left fist and make one big cut holding the scissors in my right hand. Then, I divide it into the right and left side, bring them to the front and even them out. Everyone says I get it perfectly straight. The scissors I use are Gingher Tailor's Points (I sew, so those are sewing scissors), which are designed to cut through 7 layers of leather so it's easy to cut through a chunk of hair.

that's true, they're beauty schools that take people to do their hair for a very cheap price since they're not in a salon yet. when i was going to school to be an esthetician we took people to work on and the barber students were right next door, i got one of them to cut my hair. i trim my own hair but as for a real cut i'll go and get it done.i got my scissors from sally's.

Yup... that's true... see when your local beauty school has "Customer service" days (Well at least thats what it was called at my school) and if the thought of having it done by a student kinda freaks you out... just remember the instructor is there also to oversee everything... but you'll be surprised - most are actually pretty good!
smile.gif

Back