Do you ever feel like a tiny fish in crazy huge pond?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay!

I've created a page for me on +Google and I'm looking at FB now but I am not sure which option to chose; local? Product? Which one did you chose?

Okay, I have a FB page set up but Im not sure how best to get my blog to link to it. I dont want my personal FB attached, I'm guessing I have to do another FB profile in order to link to it?

Aha!, figured it out! And I even managed to link to my twitter account! 

I have 5 followers of my blog on google reader and 6 GFC followers. Is there a way to see the total number of people who aggregate (RSS) your blog? I know there are so many other platforms out there, so it is so hard to gauge how many people really read and follow.

I love google analytics because it really gives me details on what Im doing well and what I can improve on. Plus, I love that I can see how many absolutely unique viewers I had and the amount of time they spent reading, what they've clicked further, what page they exited on, etc. I feel like I somehow turned into a sales person for google, but in general it gives me hope that even though I feel like I cannot compete with the big fish I am reaching people!

Plus, it is exciting when coworkers comment on your blog posts. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by snllama /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have 5 followers of my blog on google reader and 6 GFC followers. Is there a way to see the total number of people who aggregate (RSS) your blog? I know there are so many other platforms out there, so it is so hard to gauge how many people really read and follow.

I love google analytics because it really gives me details on what Im doing well and what I can improve on. Plus, I love that I can see how many absolutely unique viewers I had and the amount of time they spent reading, what they've clicked further, what page they exited on, etc. I feel like I somehow turned into a sales person for google, but in general it gives me hope that even though I feel like I cannot compete with the big fish I am reaching people!

Plus, it is exciting when coworkers comment on your blog posts. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yes. I use Feedburner (a Google product), and it tells me how many are subscribed.

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes. I use Feedburner (a Google product), and it tells me how many are subscribed.
Ooh, thanks for this! I was wondering the same thing!

Never heard of feedburner before, thanks!

Does feedburner stats only work if you use their feedburner link as your RSS link? 

Okay I know this sounds dumb...but I"m really confused on this whole RSS and feeds stuff, haha what exactly are they? I guess I don't know blog jargon yet...

RSS is a feed that allows a subscriber to organize all their desired feeds in one spot. Pretty much a way to read multiple sources in one spot, and the reader updates when the owner of the website updates.

Some RSS readers are Google Reader, My Yahoo, or Google Friends Connect. 

I only read blogs on Google Reader. I subscribe to blogs all the time and this makes it easy to quickly be able to read them and not have to constantly check back to see if they have updated. 

People can feed to any number of readers so even if you have say 50 GFCs, you may have a ton more readers who have subscribed using different websites.

I don't have tons of traffic on my blog. I think I have 11 followers (most of the are from MuT LOL) but I try and blog as often as I can. Mostly FOTD's. I'm going to be doing another haul. I find that those are popular. I have a FB and when I do a new blog post I put it on Twitter. I don't have a lot of followers but I get a lot of readers.

I got some feed back from friends about the layout of my blog. And one thing that I find is that when ppl visit ur blog if they don't like the design, they won't read it so try and ask ur friends to take a peek and see if there's anything u can tweak.

I'm really new at this so take my advice with a grain of salt lol

This! If I can't read the font I'm moving on. It may look nice and fancy but if the color is too faint or it's a weird font. I'm out of there.  Along the same lines though, I sometimes think my blog is too plain. I'm up to 15 followers I think and I'm pretty excited. I never really expected anyone to read it! LOL. 

Originally Posted by Hezzie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't have tons of traffic on my blog. I think I have 11 followers (most of the are from MuT LOL) but I try and blog as often as I can. Mostly FOTD's. I'm going to be doing another haul. I find that those are popular. I have a FB and when I do a new blog post I put it on Twitter. I don't have a lot of followers but I get a lot of readers.

I got some feed back from friends about the layout of my blog. And one thing that I find is that when ppl visit ur blog if they don't like the design, they won't read it so try and ask ur friends to take a peek and see if there's anything u can tweak.

I know what you mean. I never expected anyone to really read it but I hoped! LOL I'm going to start doing videos at some point (Hopefully, if I can find the time) so that might make my blog a little more popular LOL

Originally Posted by LoriAnnLV /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This! If I can't read the font I'm moving on. It may look nice and fancy but if the color is too faint or it's a weird font. I'm out of there.  Along the same lines though, I sometimes think my blog is too plain. I'm up to 15 followers I think and I'm pretty excited. I never really expected anyone to read it! LOL. 

That's a good point! I always worry about if my blog looks okay...i'm not actually sure how to spruce it up. How do you add your own background?

Originally Posted by Hezzie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just googled blog backgrounds lol I don't have a lot of programs on my computer so everything I do I basically depend on google lol

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's a good point! I always worry about if my blog looks okay...i'm not actually sure how to spruce it up. How do you add your own background?

Im the same way with font. It has to be a shade of grey or black and a standard arial, times new roman, or my eyes freak out. On my first blog I had a light pink background and darker pink font, but someone thankfully complained that it was hard to read so I switched to black.

My blog currently has 7 followers on GFC And 5 on Google Reader. I want more! Im so jealous of all the girls with thousands of readers. But I shouldn't be greedy, I started my blog only last month! I was featured on the Beauty Army newsletter, but they got the link to my blog wrong :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> They had me owning my own .com and didnt have it listed at blogspot. So that was a waste of exposure. They did apologize and feature me on the fb page though.

Do you guys have any good feedback for my layout? (http://mesjoiesdevivre.blogspot.com)

I think it is well laid out, truth be told. Very clean without anything competing with the main body for attention.

Originally Posted by snllama /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Im the same way with font. It has to be a shade of grey or black and a standard arial, times new roman, or my eyes freak out. On my first blog I had a light pink background and darker pink font, but someone thankfully complained that it was hard to read so I switched to black.

My blog currently has 7 followers on GFC And 5 on Google Reader. I want more! Im so jealous of all the girls with thousands of readers. But I shouldn't be greedy, I started my blog only last month! I was featured on the Beauty Army newsletter, but they got the link to my blog wrong :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> They had me owning my own .com and didnt have it listed at blogspot. So that was a waste of exposure. They did apologize and feature me on the fb page though.

Do you guys have any good feedback for my layout? (http://mesjoiesdevivre.blogspot.com)

Where do you go to put in your own background? I feel like an idiot haha usually i'm computer savvy.  I went to template and background but couldn't find an option to add my own.  So i went to advanced and still couldn't find anything besides changing things to solid colors...

Back