Do you ever feel like a tiny fish in crazy huge pond?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

internetchick

Beauty Blogger
Reaction score
Or more like a guppy in the ocean lol? I know I do. I have been blogging for over a year and love it, but sometimes I feel like I don't make an impact. I don't mean that I need accolades or anything, just that if I disappeared no one would notice.

Hahaha! 

But yeah, I totally know how you feel. I've had my blog for 3-4 years, and I thought I had 5 people subscribed, but then it turns out it was only 4-- turns out that I accidentally subscribed to my own blog, lol. I'm going to start including more reviews of beauty stuff, and once my skins clears up dramatically, I'll be doing a FOTD sometimes...so hopefully I can appeal to a wider audience and get more people reading it!

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I listen really closely I think I can hear the crickets chirping ... LOL!

I enjoy your blog, it was one of the first ones I added to my reader so I would notice!

Then I would be all sad!

I'd totally notice! Every time you post on your blog I read it, sometimes I even comment haha... I really enjoy your swatches and reviews

I know how you feel though, I've had my blog about a year now and only have 24 subbies... I don't care though, I don't blog enough to have a million people following me haha 

PS - those Lauren Luke brushes you've been posting about/reviewing look super tempting

^^^ Aaww I appreciate that! And you will get more subbies. It has taken me so frickin' long.

^^^ Aaww I appreciate that! And you will get more subbies. It has taken me so frickin' long.
So let me ask you this: let's say I have no brushes and limited funds. What brush would you recommend getting first? I've also really liked the reviews you've been doing on the brushes but I am not sure where to start. My little Posh brushes are starting to fall apart after 2 yrs of (light) use so I'm in the market.

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So let me ask you this: let's say I have no brushes and limited funds. What brush would you recommend getting first? I've also really liked the reviews you've been doing on the brushes but I am not sure where to start. My little Posh brushes are starting to fall apart after 2 yrs of (light) use so I'm in the market.

You mean first from Lauren Luke? The foundation brush. It is my favorite.

I don't think she meant specifically the Lauren Luke brushes, I think she's saying you obviously seem to know brushes, so if for some reason you had to rebuild your collection from scratch where would you start? And if she didn't mean that, would you mind answering that for me anyway? lol

obviously seem to know...that makes no sense! lol it's either obvious or not, and "seems to" is not obvious. I'm an idiot. Don't mind me....

Or more like a guppy in the ocean lol? I know I do. I have been blogging for over a year and love it, but sometimes I feel like I don't make an impact. I don't mean that I need accolades or anything, just that if I disappeared no one would notice.

Yes, totally! There are just so many beauty bloggers out there, and I'm relatively new to blogging, but I follow like a billion beauty blogs (and read them all, too!), and they are all such successful bloggers with so many followers. I'm at a grand total of 7, but I'm hoping that if I just keep blogging, eventually I'll accumulate more. I personally really like your blog, just by the way. I love the variety in your posts, and you're really good about posting pictures (I'm extremely lazy about that) - pictures add so much to a post.

I definitely felt this way for a while- I still do sometimes.  One day I woke up and knew something had happened because I had 2 posts of mine gain a ton of attention and 50-100 something new subscribers.  I finally figured out that two of my posts were featured on the makeup tag featured page on tumblr.  I was giddy like a school girl.  I finally felt like I made a break, you know?  Then to top if off, I was on the top contributors list for a bit less than a week.  So I gained a good bit more of a following, and it has continued since.  I have a had a couple more posts feautured, and I feel like I have made that first crack in the ice to get across the pond.  (That made NO sense but it sounded nice.  LOL) 

So as a new blogger, what are some things I should do to encourage readers? I'm not looking to pick up sponsership or anything, I just don't want to take up space if I am basically talking to myself. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Let me think on that. There is a ton of stuff you can do, and I can try and compile a list.

OK, here are some things you can do:

Sign on to any blog link exchanges you can. If you follow a blog you like, check their link pages to see if they take submissions.

Comment on blogs. Don't leave your URL unless they state they allow it.

Participating in forums with your link in your signature. It doesn't have to be makeup related, though obviously you get more interest in beauty and makeup forums.

Social Networking (Facebook, Twitter). Great way to get traffic.

Contests can get you traffic, but really are not the greatest way IMO. I do notice an increase around giveaways, but nothing dramatic. It's not worth doing one just to generate traffic.

Originally Posted by melissaphora /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I definitely felt this way for a while- I still do sometimes.  One day I woke up and knew something had happened because I had 2 posts of mine gain a ton of attention and 50-100 something new subscribers.  I finally figured out that two of my posts were featured on the makeup tag featured page on tumblr.  I was giddy like a school girl.  I finally felt like I made a break, you know?  Then to top if off, I was on the top contributors list for a bit less than a week.  So I gained a good bit more of a following, and it has continued since.  I have a had a couple more posts feautured, and I feel like I have made that first crack in the ice to get across the pond.  (That made NO sense but it sounded nice.  LOL) 
That is great!

OK, here are some things you can do:

Sign on to any blog link exchanges you can. If you follow a blog you like, check their link pages to see if they take submissions.

Comment on blogs. Don't leave your URL unless they state they allow it.

Participating in forums with your link in your signature. It doesn't have to be makeup related, though obviously you get more interest in beauty and makeup forums.

Social Networking (Facebook, Twitter). Great way to get traffic.

Contests can get you traffic, but really are not the greatest way IMO. I do notice an increase around giveaways, but nothing dramatic. It's not worth doing one just to generate traffic.

Great, thanks! I've been hopping around on the blogs I have on my own blogroll (I added yours to my link section, by the way) so I'll start reaching out.

Latest posts

Back