Do you find really thin/skinny women attractive or a turn off?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
women shouldn't go to one extreme or another. i'd say try to find a happy medium. i like the fact that a curvy body is seen as a positive and not a negative.

I'm 5'10.5 and a size 2 (model body) and it depends on the outfit really all in all.  If I wear 1-2 sizes too big on the top, I feel like a pile of bones and I get lost in the mess.  but if I wear too tight or too short, I feel I come across as big (big as in I'm too tall) 

But I am torn really about being tall and thin....I think society/media tell us that the only way tall girls can be beautiful is to be thin.  If we are a bit heavier or on the curvier side, we are considered

bordering masculine/man-like (one case Khloe Kardashian)........so although I wish I was a bit more curvier I also like being thin..

of course this is all different for shorter girls....
As a member of the Munchkin Brigade, I don't think it's much better. Snooki is too fat (I personally find 'fat' in her case to be an overstatement), while 'too' small (whatever that is) and short looks pre-pubescent. I'm by no means anywhere near as small as some of the really diddly girls, but I do think there's a tendency amongst some folks to infantilize shorter women. I always appreciate a compliment, but it comes off a little condescending to be called 'cute' or 'adorable' by an SO, or date. I'm not witching (well, maybe I am a little), and I'm generally okay with my height, but like taller women, I do feel that short people also can't win.

I don't see where the plus size is.  These look like average women that you'd see walking down the street.  Even these women are skinny compared to those you see walking down the street.  According to an American Demographics journal article in July 2003: The average woman is 5'4" tall, weighs 145 lbs. with a dress size of 11 to 14, has a 36-37" bust, is about 29" around the waist and close to 40" around the hips. 

Originally Posted by charmander /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Btw I don't know if you guys noticed, but Nordstroms.com is featuring a lot more plus-sized models....So I guess the model either has to be rail-thin or plus sized these days?  
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't see where the plus size is.  These look like average women that you'd see walking down the street.  Even these women are skinny compared to those you see walking down the street.  According to an American Demographics journal article in July 2003: The average woman is 5'4" tall, weighs 145 lbs. with a dress size of 11 to 14, has a 36-37" bust, is about 29" around the waist and close to 40" around the hips. 

These models are plus sized in modelling terms, which doesn´t translate into what we think of plus sized. Just like petite models, who are rarely short enough to ever be considered petite in the real world. It´s just terminology.

But even plus size models don´t look like the "average" woman on the street, they still have to be tall, with a well proportioned figure and a gorgeous face.

by the way, I didn't mean to imply that all of those models in my computer snapshot were plus-sized, I just took a random snapshot of the Nordstroms online, because I've been shopping online forever and just happened to notice them including bigger sized girls there..

Originally Posted by Carol D. /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To be honest, I don't see any of those models as being really plus-size. There's only two who look just a little bigger to me, 

Originally Posted by Maris Crane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by charmander /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm 5'10.5 and a size 2 (model body) and it depends on the outfit really all in all.  If I wear 1-2 sizes too big on the top, I feel like a pile of bones and I get lost in the mess.  but if I wear too tight or too short, I feel I come across as big (big as in I'm too tall) 

But I am torn really about being tall and thin....I think society/media tell us that the only way tall girls can be beautiful is to be thin.  If we are a bit heavier or on the curvier side, we are considered

bordering masculine/man-like (one case Khloe Kardashian)........so although I wish I was a bit more curvier I also like being thin..

of course this is all different for shorter girls....
As a member of the Munchkin Brigade, I don't think it's much better. Snooki is too fat (I personally find 'fat' in her case to be an overstatement), while 'too' small (whatever that is) and short looks pre-pubescent. I'm by no means anywhere near as small as some of the really diddly girls, but I do think there's a tendency amongst some folks to infantilize shorter women. I always appreciate a compliment, but it comes off a little condescending to be called 'cute' or 'adorable' by an SO, or date.

I'm not witching (well, maybe I am a little), and I'm generally okay with my height, but like taller women, I do feel that short people also can't win.

Maybe its the everything looks greener on the other side....but while I do like being tall, I feel that I've never experienced that "cuteness" as you say comes with a shorter height...and you also mention short maybe sometimes looks "pre-pubescent"...I don't know sometimes these things are valued by men in our society, how guys go after youth, and while I'm only 21 years old, but I've always looked older partly due to my height..(17 years old at 5'10, you get the "older" thing wherever you go)..I get too self-conscious when it comes to how men perceive us.....but that's just my low self-esteem : 

i'm not a big fan of ULTRA thin girls. i have realllllly lanky arms and it's impossible for me to put on arm fat. i have a lot of curves. i don't know whether to smile or cry when people tell me i'm a rake just because i have skinny arms. I don't find ultra skinny girls attractive at all, i had a lot of model friends and it kills me when they refuse to eat cake... or anything considered 'fattening". I don't think it's attractive when you can see their rib cage sticking out.....

Honestly:

I envy the skinny skinny girl. I have given up on going that direction & have switched over to eating healthy & trying to tone up what I do have. I am curvy & I've lost a lot of weight since childhood. The fact that my 3 sisters are all 90-115 pounds...it is always in my face that I could look like them too if I starved myself. I delt with eating disorders for 10 years. Sometimes you just have to see the light. I almost RUINED my life trying to be tiny tiny. More important things in life than ideal beauty. I think I may always have a little tiny bit of envy for the girls that can wear anything & have big gaps between their thighs. But I refuse to ruin my body & starve & risk my health to become one of them...so I exercise & try to eat right & am learning to love the body I have.

I think this is a subject where many different opinions will show through. My daughter is as cute as a bug in a rug to me. At 16 y/o, she is 5'9", 140# and looks good. Sure, she has a little "muffin top", is totally aware of it, and knows it is because she eats things she shouldn't and doesn't exercise as much as she should. But if you ask her?.... she'll grab her mid section, yell that she's fat, and cringe if she needs any size jeans bigger than a 9.  I NEVER say anything about her size or weight. Her doctor says she's health, blood work is fine, and just encourages good eating and working out. All her friends are on her case that she's soooo skinny. She's fine. Perfectly healthy and attractive as all heck. In some ways I'm envious of her that her weight is in her control, where, like some of us, it's a medical condition that controls our size.  Whereas some people would love to hear "Oh my heavens, you are so thin! You lucky thing!", when I hear the words "Look at you... you are so skinny!!" I want to cry and hide in a closet.

Everyone has different attitudes, metabolisms, and mindsets about their size. It's a subject that there is no right or wrong. But it is one that will be discussed from here on out in our society.

Back