Do you wear glasses?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just wondering if I was the only one around here that had to wear glasses every day! I used to wear contacts but I can't any more due to dry eyes
frown.gif

Also, if you wear glasses, are you happy with them? It seems like society (or at least America) thinks that you can't be beautiful if you wear glasses. I used to post at a wedding planning forums site, and I couldn't count the number of girls that said something like "I can't wear my glasses on my wedding day, I have to look beautiful!" Well that's fine, but what about those of us who can't wear contacts and want to actually see our groom?
biggrin.gif
(Needless to say I wore my glasses at my wedding!) Although I admit I was once guilty of this thinking, and insisted on getting my first pair of contacts before my junior prom
wink.gif

I have owned both glasses and contacts. I have not worn them for years. No I didn't get surgery, just pure laziness of going to get a new script. I know it's awful for my eyes and they are getting worse all the time. I constantly scwint (is that a word?) at everything. I always say I'm going to get them checked and time gets away from me.
icon_sad.gif

I think it's spelled "squint"
wink.gif

You probably already know this, but it's important to get your eyes checked once a year, even if you don't think the prescription has changed -- my prescription changes a tiny bit most years, even when I don't think it has! Plus they test for eye diseases like glaucoma which is very important!

I've been nearsighted since I was in 8th grade (I'm 24 now) and back then I insisted on contacts ONLY. I didn't even own a pair of glasses until about 4 years ago, and the only reason I got them was because I had an eye infection, and my contacts must've picked it up, so anytime I put them in... my eye was totally bloodshot - and I needed to see & drive! While I was getting my exam I learned that I had the start of neovascularization... where the blood vessels in the eyes are so starved for oxygen that they start growing toward the iris. Unfortunately, my first eye doctor gave me 'long wear' lenses that you keep for 6 months before getting a new pair... and never told me that I couldn't sleep in them. So... after many lazy late nights wanting to watch tv (& SEE it) I would leave my contacts in for days at a time, only taking them out to clean them. (Wish I knew then that you couldn't do it) And the only way to stop the neovasc. from progressing was to limit my contact lens use, take them out at night, and wear glasses as often as possible. He said that the vessels will retract on their own once the oxygen supply is there... but once it progresses and worsens, and once they reach the iris, they will not go back, and you'll see things in your vision. So since hearing that scared the crap outta me... I was wearing my glasses a LOT more. Eventually I got over the "image" thing... and I started having less of a problem with wanting to wear them. Last fall I finally put away my first cheap "starter" pair - which were large, round, glass... and invested in a nice new pair... they're lighter, smaller & more "sophisticated" looking... and also went extra for the scrathproof lenses, the anti-glare coating (so you can see right thru them at my eyes w/o a reflection, and also reduces glare - easier on the eyes) and also for Transition lenses that change to a dark black outdoors in UV light. I wish they would change w/ light and not just the UV... I had the misconception that they did at first. But they only change to the amt. of rays... so they don't change in the car because the windshield has a UV fiter in it... (Unless you stare at the sun from the side w/ the windows down!
wink.gif
But I'm wearing them everynight, and usually on weekends or just 'whenever'. Luckily my neovasc. has gotten better... not completely gone, but I'm in the clear (Literally!) And I've finally found a happy ground with my glasses !

Oh yeah! That looks better. I knew that I spelled it wrong but couldn't think of how it was supposed to be. As for my eyes, yeah yeah yeah I know how important it is yet there is always something else. I promise I will get it done soon!
icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted by tylda1969 Oh yeah! That looks better. I knew that I spelled it wrong but couldn't think of how it was supposed to be. As for my eyes, yeah yeah yeah I know how important it is yet there is always something else. I promise I will get it done soon!
icon_eek.gif
I'd love to get LASIK, but I'm petrified they'd screw up & I'd go blind!
icon_eek.gif

My mother in law had it done a couple of years ago. Worked like a charm. And she used to have to wear some serious big ass glasses!
icon_eek.gif

Best part...I wear the glasses too...doctor didn't recm me for contacts for dry eyeses...so i wear fancy glasses such as diff tan color glasses....looks cool to me...frameless, light blue, purple, pink, i even have purple prescribed sunglass. i need them to drive. i have distance prescription...overall i don't mind wearing glasses yea for wedding i would wear contact for one day...
icon_rolleyes.gif

Yay, I'm glad you're happier with your glasses! I am growning to accept my glasses too; I think just planning for the wedding and hearing those comments got me down a little! Plus whenever I look back at pictures of myself with contacts I always think I looked better then. So I guess I'm still not 100% happy with glasses but I am getting much better
smile.gif

Plus, being a Computer Science student I worry that having glasses adds to the "geek" stereotype, so I hope my clothes and makeup are trendy enough that I don't look like a geek (even if I may act like one)!
wink.gif
But I have noticed that many more people in my computer classes wear glasses than the average population so that may be actually be a fairly accurate stereotype...

Originally Posted by girl_geek Yay, I'm glad you're happier with your glasses! I am growning to accept my glasses too; I think just planning for the wedding and hearing those comments got me down a little! Plus whenever I look back at pictures of myself with contacts I always think I looked better then. So I guess I'm still not 100% happy with glasses but I am getting much better
smile.gif

Plus, being a Computer Science student I worry that having glasses adds to the "geek" stereotype, so I hope my clothes and makeup are trendy enough that I don't look like a geek (even if I may act like one)!
wink.gif
But I have noticed that many more people in my computer classes wear glasses than the average population so that may be actually be a fairly accurate stereotype...

Maybe its from the monitors LOL
wink.gif

i wear my glasses pretty much all the time. i have an astigmatism, so its hard to read or see far away without them. i can legally drive without them, etc.

i just got a new pair of glasses last week. theyre way cuter than the pic, i assure you. theyre the same style, but the front is transparent magenta and the arms are clear.

when i have a bit more money id like to get my current prescription put into my last pair of frames so i have two to choose from depending on how im feeling or what makeup im wearing. i was worried that the magenta would clash with some of my eye looks, but so far its been fine with everything ive worn.

this is my last pair. the inner edge of the front of the frames is transparent yellow.

i absolutely cannot stand contacts. theyre like little nasty chunks of plastic suctioned to my eye ball. the whole concept skeeves me out. im proud to wear glasses!

You absolutly right.....Docs told me the same thing as of being a Information Technology/DBA (BIT) student i have to have glasses to work always with machines. But It's fair for monitor, like janell said glasses protecting our eyes from the light of monitor. I hope you will be ok with glasses.

Originally Posted by girl_geek Yay, I'm glad you're happier with your glasses! I am growning to accept my glasses too; I think just planning for the wedding and hearing those comments got me down a little! Plus whenever I look back at pictures of myself with contacts I always think I looked better then. So I guess I'm still not 100% happy with glasses but I am getting much better
smile.gif

wink.gif

AUSTJVWP.jpg

Here's mine! Anne Klein #9036 - I have them in "satin cocoa' - they're a light tan/bronze - so they are kinda unnoticable against my skin... you see them, but they're not a stark stand-out color like black...
icon_wink.gif

Tony don't need corrective lenses
wink.gif

Originally Posted by girl_geek

I was just wondering if I was the only one around here that had to wear glasses every day! I used to wear contacts but I can't any more due to dry eyes
frown.gif

Also, if you wear glasses, are you happy with them? It seems like society (or at least America) thinks that you can't be beautiful if you wear glasses. I used to post at a wedding planning forums site, and I couldn't count the number of girls that said something like "I can't wear my glasses on my wedding day, I have to look beautiful!" Well that's fine, but what about those of us who can't wear contacts and want to actually see our groom?
biggrin.gif
(Needless to say I wore my glasses at my wedding!) Although I admit I was once guilty of this thinking, and insisted on getting my first pair of contacts before my junior prom
wink.gif

Now, that's a nice long post.

smile.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98

I've been nearsighted since I was in 8th grade (I'm 24 now) and back then I insisted on contacts ONLY. I didn't even own a pair of glasses until about 4 years ago, and the only reason I got them was because I had an eye infection, and my contacts must've picked it up, so anytime I put them in... my eye was totally bloodshot - and I needed to see & drive! While I was getting my exam I learned that I had the start of neovascularization... where the blood vessels in the eyes are so starved for oxygen that they start growing toward the iris. Unfortunately, my first eye doctor gave me 'long wear' lenses that you keep for 6 months before getting a new pair... and never told me that I couldn't sleep in them. So... after many lazy late nights wanting to watch tv (& SEE it) I would leave my contacts in for days at a time, only taking them out to clean them. (Wish I knew then that you couldn't do it) And the only way to stop the neovasc. from progressing was to limit my contact lens use, take them out at night, and wear glasses as often as possible. He said that the vessels will retract on their own once the oxygen supply is there... but once it progresses and worsens, and once they reach the iris, they will not go back, and you'll see things in your vision. So since hearing that scared the crap outta me... I was wearing my glasses a LOT more. Eventually I got over the "image" thing... and I started having less of a problem with wanting to wear them. Last fall I finally put away my first cheap "starter" pair - which were large, round, glass... and invested in a nice new pair... they're lighter, smaller & more "sophisticated" looking... and also went extra for the scrathproof lenses, the anti-glare coating (so you can see right thru them at my eyes w/o a reflection, and also reduces glare - easier on the eyes) and also for Transition lenses that change to a dark black outdoors in UV light. I wish they would change w/ light and not just the UV... I had the misconception that they did at first. But they only change to the amt. of rays... so they don't change in the car because the windshield has a UV fiter in it... (Unless you stare at the sun from the side w/ the windows down!
wink.gif
But I'm wearing them everynight, and usually on weekends or just 'whenever'. Luckily my neovasc. has gotten better... not completely gone, but I'm in the clear (Literally!) And I've finally found a happy ground with my glasses !

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Now, that's a nice long post.
smile.gif

It's been a nice long HEADACHE! LOL
icon_rolleyes.gif

So the moral of the story is kids.....

WEAR DISPOSABLES & TAKE THEM OUT AT NIGHT!
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Tony don't need corrective lenses
wink.gif
Tony just the best now ain't he? LOL
tongue.gif

I wear glasses all the time. I actually have several pair. I wear 2 of them the majority of the time. I have an Oliver Peoples pair that is a plastic tortoise with a pink/peachy inside color. The other pair I wear alot is a Robert Marc black plastic w/pale pink on the inside. I love them both. I also just got a pair of LaFont sunglasses that are really cool. Wish I had pics to show yall.
icon_eek.gif

I used to wear contacts but not anymore. My son had the PRK laser surgery done in December. It is less invasive but longer recovery than the lasik.

I think glasses can be really cute! I never wear mine because I'm sensitive to the weight of them, but my roommate gets tons of compliments on her when she wears them! I think the right pair of glasses can be really enhance your looks (like Tina Fey on SNL...I think she looks great w/ her glasses!)

~Bonnie

Latest posts

Back