Eye Spy - In Search of a Greater Lash

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Eye Spy - In Search of a Greater Lash

By Cathy Gatson

Shopping for mascara can be an "eye opening" experience. Who knew there were so many formulas to choose from? Thickening, lengthening, volumizing, maximizing and separating, only to name a few; it's no wonder a tube of "Maybelline Great Lash" is being sold somewhere in the world every 1.5 seconds. It's bright pink and green tube stands out from all the rest, saving us from the myriad of eye lash options, without batting an eye many of us grab the familiar and alas another sale for Great Lash the best selling mascara for 33 years. I do own a tube I admit but because I read it was a "must have", plus it adds a little color to my make up bag.

In search of a greater lash I secretly spied into the makeup bags of my most well painted friends, casually slipped in "so what mascara do you use" to unsuspecting co-workers, and polled long lashed strangers to uncover their mascara of choice. To my surprise, friends and strangers alike were wide eyed and bushy tailed to share the secrets of their lash life. So if you're interested in peaking into what's keeping these women's eyes wide open… read 'em and wink:

For Lengthening, Volumizing and Separating -

Lancome Definicils $21.00 Splurge

Iman Perfect Mascara $13.00 Midway

Max Factor Maximizing $5.99 Value

Maybelline Great Lash $4.99 Value

For Volumizing and Thickening -

Estee Lauder MagnaScopic $21.00 Splurge

Fashion Fair Volumizing $12.00 Midway

L'Oreal Volumizer 4x $4.24 Value

Avon Astonishing Lengths $2.99* Steal

For Lengthening and Separating -

L'Oreal Lash Out $5.99 Value

Max Factor Stretch & Separate $4.99 Value

Dramatic Lashes - One Coat

Christian Dior Show $23.00 Splurge

Benefit Bad Gal $18.00 Midway

L'Oreal 3 D Architect $6.99 Value

Sensitive eyes & Lens Wearers

Clinique Long & Pretty Mascara $13.50 Midway

Hard to reach & bottom lashes $4.99 Value

Maybelline Lash Discovery

Best Mascara to sleep in

Kanebo Mascara $23.00 Splurge

Most waterproof mascaras

Here are a few lash secrets to help you get your lash-on right:

· Clean your mascara wand at least once a month to get rid of clumps and prevent build up of bacteria on bristles. Coat the wand with a little Vaseline and gently wipe mascara from the bristles but don't damage the wand. Vaseline works best. Water won't remove all the mascara residue and soap can irritate your eyes. Shelf life of mascara is 3 - 4 months.

· Always have a dampened Q-tip handy when applying your mascara to clean up any smudges before they dry!

· Fashion Fair Cosmetic Manager Dewayne Moore recommends using a lash conditioner to improve brittle, dry lashes, extend the life of the lash and to help mascara adhere better and longer. Look after your eyelashes just like your do your hair and skin

· If necessary curl lashes using mascara curler before applying mascara.

· For best results "draw the mascara wand out of the tube and gently scrape off any clumps on the side or wipe with a tissue before applying, says makeup artist Brandi Williams.

· Oprah's make up man Reggie Wells, says "start at the lash roots and gently sweep mascara to the ends"

· Allow lashes to dry between coats. Use lash comb or spiral brush to remove any clumps.

· Reggie Wells believes applying mascara to bottom lashes is not necessary and only draws attention to dark circles and wrinkles below the eye area. Try brown on bottom lashes for subtle definition.

· Remove before bedtime with a gentle eye make up remover like Lancome Bi-facil Eye Makeup Remover or Andrea Q eye make up remover pads.

· Mascara merge…did you know Fashion Fair is black owned by Johnson Publishing Co. (Jet, Ebony) but L'Oreal owns Lancome, and Maybelline. Proctor & Gamble owns Cover Girl & Max Factor. "Don't Sleep"

Okay beloveds, I hope you found this F.Y. Eye enlightening and helpful in choosing the best mascara to maximize your lashes and bring focus to your eyes…the windows of your soul.

Bold indicates highly rated!

Cathy Gatson is a freelance writer and owner/operator of Yada Beauty Lounge, a hair and body salon in Northern California.

Great tips, thank you Diane~
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Diane For Lengthening, Volumizing and Separating -Maybelline Great Lash $4.99 Value

I just want to add to this
FOR SMUDGING, SORE EYES-

Maybelline Great Lash
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

FAB Article Diane!

Originally Posted by Diane

Eye Spy - In Search of a Greater LashBy Cathy Gatson

Shopping for mascara can be an "eye opening" experience. Who knew there were so many formulas to choose from? Thickening, lengthening, volumizing, maximizing and separating, only to name a few; it's no wonder a tube of "Maybelline Great Lash" is being sold somewhere in the world every 1.5 seconds. It's bright pink and green tube stands out from all the rest, saving us from the myriad of eye lash options, without batting an eye many of us grab the familiar and alas another sale for Great Lash the best selling mascara for 33 years. I do own a tube I admit but because I read it was a "must have", plus it adds a little color to my make up bag.

In search of a greater lash I secretly spied into the makeup bags of my most well painted friends, casually slipped in "so what mascara do you use" to unsuspecting co-workers, and polled long lashed strangers to uncover their mascara of choice. To my surprise, friends and strangers alike were wide eyed and bushy tailed to share the secrets of their lash life. So if you're interested in peaking into what's keeping these women's eyes wide open… read 'em and wink:

For Lengthening, Volumizing and Separating -

Iman Perfect Mascara $13.00 Midway

Max Factor Maximizing $5.99 Value

Maybelline Great Lash $4.99 Value

For Volumizing and Thickening -

Estee Lauder MagnaScopic $21.00 Splurge

Fashion Fair Volumizing $12.00 Midway

L'Oreal Volumizer 4x $4.24 Value

For Lengthening and Separating -

L'Oreal Lash Out $5.99 Value

Max Factor Stretch & Separate $4.99 Value

Dramatic Lashes - One Coat

Christian Dior Show $23.00 Splurge

Benefit Bad Gal $18.00 Midway

L'Oreal 3 D Architect $6.99 Value

Sensitive eyes & Lens Wearers

Clinique Long & Pretty Mascara $13.50 Midway

Hard to reach & bottom lashes $4.99 Value

Maybelline Lash Discovery

Best Mascara to sleep in

Kanebo Mascara $23.00 Splurge

Most waterproof mascaras

Here are a few lash secrets to help you get your lash-on right:

· Clean your mascara wand at least once a month to get rid of clumps and prevent build up of bacteria on bristles. Coat the wand with a little Vaseline and gently wipe mascara from the bristles but don't damage the wand. Vaseline works best. Water won't remove all the mascara residue and soap can irritate your eyes. Shelf life of mascara is 3 - 4 months.

· Always have a dampened Q-tip handy when applying your mascara to clean up any smudges before they dry!

· Fashion Fair Cosmetic Manager Dewayne Moore recommends using a lash conditioner to improve brittle, dry lashes, extend the life of the lash and to help mascara adhere better and longer. Look after your eyelashes just like your do your hair and skin

· If necessary curl lashes using mascara curler before applying mascara.

· For best results "draw the mascara wand out of the tube and gently scrape off any clumps on the side or wipe with a tissue before applying, says makeup artist Brandi Williams.

· Oprah's make up man Reggie Wells, says "start at the lash roots and gently sweep mascara to the ends"

· Allow lashes to dry between coats. Use lash comb or spiral brush to remove any clumps.

· Reggie Wells believes applying mascara to bottom lashes is not necessary and only draws attention to dark circles and wrinkles below the eye area. Try brown on bottom lashes for subtle definition.

· Remove before bedtime with a gentle eye make up remover like Lancome Bi-facil Eye Makeup Remover or Andrea Q eye make up remover pads.

· Mascara merge…did you know Fashion Fair is black owned by Johnson Publishing Co. (Jet, Ebony) but L'Oreal owns Lancome, and Maybelline. Proctor & Gamble owns Cover Girl & Max Factor. "Don't Sleep"

Okay beloveds, I hope you found this F.Y. Eye enlightening and helpful in choosing the best mascara to maximize your lashes and bring focus to your eyes…the windows of your soul.

Bold indicates highly rated!

Cathy Gatson is a freelance writer and owner/operator of Yada Beauty Lounge, a hair and body salon in Northern California.

Originally Posted by Laura I just want to add to this
FOR SMUDGING, SORE EYES-

Maybelline Great Lash
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

icon_lol.gif
I concurr. Also:
FOR EXPENSIVE, SMUDGING, SORE EYES-

Lancome Definicils
tongue.gif

aka Great Lash in and expensive Black tube.

Wonderful article Diane. I never understood the hype behind Great Lash & think the public needs to experiment more & visit MuT for sound advice.
wink.gif

Latest posts

Back