favourite shampoo and conditioner

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on the condition of my hair, so I have quite a few favorites.. 

When my hair feels dry:
Pureology Hydrate Shampoo & Conditioner, Redken All Soft Series!

After I've bleached it and feel it needs protein:
Redken Extreme Shampoo + Conditioner or Sebastian Penetrait, also love Tigi Elasticate

Also LOVE Fudge Clean Blonde Violet Shampoo for keeping my blondehair cool and not brassy!

I have been using Acure Shampoo that I picked up at a health food and beauty store.  I am loving it.  Its suds up nice and has a subtle almond scent.  I will repurchase when I am in the store again.   I haven't been conditioning my hair because my hair is fine and in good shape right now.  So, I am just relying on some good styling products.   But, when I do condition, I use Paul Mitchell Detangler.  Its lightweight and doesn't overwhelm my fine hair. 

I am looking for a good shampoo and conditioner for bleached hair.

It is my first time blond so I am not really used to dealing with hair that is damaged. I have bought all the usual ones you can find in the supermarket but I don't mind having a little splurge.

Can anyone recommend anything?

:) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I used to have almost white, blonde hair. I LOVED the biolage hair mask, I believe it had deep condition in it. It made my hair baby soft. The brand Enjoy also has a hair mask and it's in a purple tube (unless they changed it). But those were the ones I loved the most!

I'm usually hooked on Biolage. I love the smell of the one for color treated hair. I also love Enjoy, even though I can't find it ANYWHERE out here. They all smell soooo good and make my hair feel so clean. Their leave in conditioner makes me want to smell my hair all day. LOL

I'm going to second the Pureology recommendation. It's good stuff. But I have to say that my favorite is the Alterna Caviar line. It's a little expensive, so I don't recommend trying it if you don't want to make a commitment. If you try it once, you can never go back! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> just kidding of course, but it is amazing stuff.

Definetely Aussie!!

The Volume Shampoo and the moisture Shampoo are amazing, a swell as the matching conditioners!

But don't let me get started on the 3minute miracle! It smells heavenly (just like all Aussie products) and my hair was never this healthy!

I've been washing my hair with Dr. Bonner's pure castile soap for a year now and my hair is always so clean, soft, and shiny! Dr. Bonner's is SLS free, so it won't strip your hair of its natural oils and that means your hair is super healthy and won't get gross and oily the day after. I can get away with not washing for three days if I use a bit of dry shampoo on my roots on the third day. It's really the best way to switch to natural hair care. Not to mention a 32 oz bottle, which runs you $16, will last for 3-4 months; and that includes using it as face and body wash. Love, love, LOVE this stuff! 

Many people take issue with using Dr. Bonner's because it makes their hair texture feel "dry" and "squeaky". That's because you have to re-balance your hair's PH after washing. All you do is get organic apple cider vinegar, dilute it half way with water in a spray bottle, and spray your hair down after towel drying it. This acts as your daily "conditioner". ACV will make your hair absolutely GLOW. I also use it as an acne-preventative toner. 

Top all that off with a once-a-week (for me at least) coconut oil deep-conditioning hair treatment and your hair will be so healthy and fierce you won't even believe it. My beauty routine has never been easier or more effective. Haven't used shampoo since switching!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm one of the people who have issues with using Dr. Bronner's as a shampoo  :unsure:

I love the stuff for my body. I use it everyday as a body wash and I dump a ton in my baths :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

However, it makes my hair smell rancid after using it in my hair. Also my hair has never looked dirtier after using Dr. B's as a shampoo o_O 

Trying it with the ACV sounds interesting, though.. and I shall try!! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I hope it goes well because my hair seriously needs a treat.

Thanks, @@pokeballssohard

You are teaching me so much today!! 

The ACV is absolutely 100% necessary for Dr. B' s to work. Otherwise, it'll leave your hair a hot mess! I remember one time when I realized-to my great horror- that I'd used up my ACV after already washing! I managed to salvage my poor texture wrecked hair with some coconut oil, but it still spend the day pinned up into a beanie until I could restock. Make sure it's the kind with the "mother" in it. That means organic, unfiltered; it'll look kind of like it has "dust" floating in it. Bragg's is the brand I swear by. It seems expensive at first, but when you're using it 3+ months later it'll seem more reasonable, trust me. 

If scent is still an issue after using the ACV, go with a different fragrance or get unscented. If you still don't like washing with Dr. B' s, the ACV is still great for your hair on it's own.

No problem, @@estefany I'm glad to share what works for me! Everyone's hair is different, so I can't guarantee results that match mine, but I'm pretty confident in this method for beautiful, sulfate-free, locks. Hope it makes your hair glow! 

I like Acure as well...I don't want to spend too much - think I usually pay around $6-7 for a huge tube.  When my hair is in need of some TLC I use coconut oil as a deep conditioning treatment - don't need much but it makes my hair soft & shiny and doesn't have any of the SLS or other nasties that make me itch!

I used to complusively hop from brand to brand but I finally found something worth sticking around for. 

I cowash with Tresemme Naturals conditioner then follow with SheaMoisture Restorative Conditioner. I've repurchased these for the past year and it's awesome! 

I've been loving the Julien Farel Anti-Aging Haircare line. Their shampoos and conditioner work great for my color treated hair. Their haircare is made to target your scalp and give it more nutrition and moisture. My colorist told me that their anti-aging technology helps restore your hair to its virgin state, before all the color treatments and hot tools styling we have used! I was skeptical at first... but then I realized that with a healthier scalp, that's when your hair can grow out more stronger and healthier. After dying my hair a few months ago, my hair was feeling dried out and lacked its shine. I've been loving the JF Vitamin Restore line, which is basically like a treatment for the scalp and hair (and those with colored hair specifically). I use this once a week and massage it into my scalp and hair as a replacement of my shampoo and conditioner and my hair has been coming out more shinier and softer. Even after my next shampoo afterward, I didn't feel the need to use any conditioner as my hair was all smooth still under water. Julien Farel Haircare is currently my new fav haircare line! :wub:  

I have used Pantene shampoo  and conditioner. Thi shampoo gives shiny and smooth hairs.

I really love Tigi Bed Head Resurrection Shampoo and conditioner (The red bottles) 
They make my hair very very soft, shiny and manageable ^__^ 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a few favorites. 

Shampoo:  Proclaim Olive Glossing Shampoo, VO5 Herbal Escapes Sun Kissed Raspberry Balancing Shampoo, SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo

Conditioner:  Proclaim Olive Glossing Conditioner, Herbal Essences Honey I'm Strong, Herbal Essences Hydra Recharge De Damage Boost, Garnier Fructis Damage Eraser, Eden Bodyworks Coconut Shea Cleansing CoWash, Eden Bodyworks Peppermint Tea Tree Conditioner, VO5 Herbal Escapes Sun Kissed Raspberry Balancing Conditioner

I know, that's a lot, lol. I like to experiment with different products. My current lineup is Hydra Recharge De Damage Boost conditioner for co-washing. I leave it in for about five minutes, then rinse it out and follow up with the Proclaim Olive Glossing Conditioner as a leave-in. Afterwards I add grapeseed oil and a frizz-fighting serum to my hair and finish up with a touch of Eco-Styler gel. If and when I do shampoo my hair, which can be anywhere from a few weeks at a time to even a month or so, I use the SheaMoisture shampoo. However, I usually just shampoo if I'm going to deep condition my hair, whereas I co-wash every day.

In my pic all I've got in is the VO5 Herbal Escapes Balancing Conditioner. Since I was on vacation I'd just get my hair wet, slap on the conditioner, and I'd be good to go!

I'm going to second the Pureology recommendation. It's good stuff. But I have to say that my favorite is the Alterna Caviar line. It's a little expensive, so I don't recommend trying it if you don't want to make a commitment. If you try it once, you can never go back! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> just kidding of course, but it is amazing stuff.
Alterna Caviar is nothing short of gorgeousness-in-a-bottle. My hair was drying and had split ends. When I went to the salon, I always got the lecture about conditioning (which I had already been doing religiously) and so forth.

Enter Alterna. I'd been using it for a few weeks when I last went to get my hair trimmed. I made some comment about trimming off split ends, as usual, and the stylist said, "You have very little, your hair is really healthy." And my reply was something like  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  :wub:   :rotfl:  -- or close enough.

A close second is the Beauty Protector line. I like them almost as much, and they're a bit cheaper than the $30 per bottle for the Alterna stuff. (Though recently HauteLook had an awesome sale on the Caviar shampoo; I got six bottles for about $60.)

Back