finding the right fragrance

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction with this question! Basically, I never wear perfume, mainly because I can never find a fragrance that mixes well with my skin. It'll smell great in the bottle and then once I put it on and it sits for a while, it smells just awful. Any tips/advice? I'd really like to find a light, soft, fresh fragrance.

For me I had to determine what scent it was that I liked i.e. Fresh, Floral, Oriental, Woody. I like Fresh & Floral. Go to this site, it'll help you determine which perfume may be good for you. Good Luck! http://www.sephora.com/browse/sectio...tegoryId=C8140 Originally Posted by Joyeuux Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction with this question! Basically, I never wear perfume, mainly because I can never find a fragrance that mixes well with my skin. It'll smell great in the bottle and then once I put it on and it sits for a while, it smells just awful. Any tips/advice? I'd really like to find a light, soft, fresh fragrance.

Thanks TinyDancer! We have similiar tastes -- after looking at the link, I've determined myself to be a Fresh/Floral girl as well, leaning more towards Fresh: Water, Floral: White & Soft. I've always been attracted to scents that are soft & clean.

I think I'm going to make a little trip to Sephora and sample. Anything you recommend? I'm crossing my fingers that I can actually find something that smells as good on me as it does in the bottle.
smile.gif

Oh great! My favorites are:

Fresh Sugarbath edp, actually check out all of Fresh's fragrances, very nice.

Clean, I love this one! It really is a very clean, soapy scent.

Michael Kors - Michael, Very classy floral.

Marc Jacobs, A beautiful white fragrance.

Annick Goutal Gardenia Passion, This one is truely the most beautiful gardenia scent I have ever smelled! However, it is a little on the strong side.

Yves St Laurent Rive Gauche, An oldie but goody , very soft floral.

Philosophy Pure Grace, A smooth, clean scent.

Well thats about all I can think of at the moment that you can find at Sephora.

Have fun!

Originally Posted by Joyeuux Thanks TinyDancer! We have similiar tastes -- after looking at the link, I've determined myself to be a Fresh/Floral girl as well, leaning more towards Fresh: Water, Floral: White & Soft. I've always been attracted to scents that are soft & clean.
I think I'm going to make a little trip to Sephora and sample. Anything you recommend? I'm crossing my fingers that I can actually find something that smells as good on me as it does in the bottle.
smile.gif

I also recommend Michael Kors fragrance. It is so vivacious and uplifting. It smells wonderful! I also recommend Demeter's Sex on the Beach pmu and Clean's fragrance!

I'm still on the hunt for a perfume, but in the meantime, I bought scented body lotion from the Gap in Heaven. I like the scent & think it suits me nicely (my boyfriend likes it too, and that's always a plus
smile.gif
).

i was going to rec heaven until i saw that youve already tried it!
smile.gif
you should try fresh marine currant. its very light and oceanic, with a bit of fruitiness. its not too sweet.

you might also like ralph lauren ralph. it smells slightly similar to marine currant, and is in the same family.

you could also try issey miyake l'eau d'issey (ozone-marine with a bit of fruit) and stella mccartney stella (rose based, but i swear it doesnt smell like rose. it smells like primal elements bubble bath soap, which is very "clean shower" smelling.)

all this said, i didnt know i cared for marine/ozone scents so much!
smile.gif

I've been away so long I didn't realize that there were more responses to my question. Thanks girls!

Hi, im not sure about your weather but in the UK i tend to change my perfume according to the seasons / weather lol.

In Summer, i use Chanel 19 and fresh citrus fragrances and as the weather starts to cool like now, i use Classique by Jean Paul Gautier. My winter faves are Poison and Nude by Bill Blass. I love perfume and i have so many favourites its hard to know where to start. They also smell different on different people such as hair colour and skin. My friend is from Barbados and i have another friend who is Indian and one perfume smells different on all of us.

I think Happy by Clinique is a good basic thats not ott. My mom still loves Giorgio and i love Red by Giorgio on Christmas day. Its very christmassy
icon_smile.gif

Latest posts

Back