Flawless make up

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Don't you just hate it when you see a magazine cover with a model with perfect flawless make up, and then you look inside the cover to see what kind of make up it was used and u try to copy that look, but then the products seem to never work out. No matter what instructions i follow, the make up never turns out as perfect as the girls on magazines cover. Tell me if you guys agree or disagree.

I totally agree. I hate that too! I've bought products before based what the model was wearing and my makeup never ends up looking that good. They must do some major touching up on the pictures before they are published in a magazine.

Well, I hate to tell ya'll but they LIE!
rolleyes.gif
Half the time what they use on the model is not what they say they use. Cosmetic companys pay the mags and makeup artist to either say they use that or the mag. just writes whatever cosmetic company they are advertising for, its all about the $$$. I hate that. Plus they re-touch those photos and use special lighting. Its nearly impossible to re-create the looks sometimes. So don't feel too bad.

Originally Posted by Reija(admin) I totally agree. I hate that too! I've bought products before based what the model was wearing and my makeup never ends up looking that good. They must do some major touching up on the pictures before they are published in a magazine.

Yup..TinyD is aboslutely correct..Shouldn't that be a form of false advertisement??

Originally Posted by Tinydancer Well, I hate to tell ya'll but they LIE!
rolleyes.gif
Half the time what they use on the model is not what they say they use. Cosmetic companys pay the mags and makeup artist to either say they use that or the mag. just writes whatever cosmetic company they are advertising for, its all about the $$$. I hate that. Plus they re-touch those photos and use special lighting. Its nearly impossible to re-create the looks sometimes. So don't feel too bad.

Not all magazines do that....don't get me wrong...MOST do, but not all. If you want to get a list of exactly what is on someone look in InStyle magazine. They will tell you exactly what is on the person in the image. As mentioned earlier the lighting can alter the look of the makeup. Most use "beauty" lighting which doesn't alter the color but sometimes the warmer the lighting the softer the shade appears in the shot. Also sometimes the makeup artist has layered the products a certain way or applied it a certain way that can alter the look of a shade. For example, you can get a very very dark burgundy lipstick and apply it with a lipbrush and it looks very exact, dark and dramatic. You can get the same color and pat it on the lips with your finger and it looks like the person ate berries and has a stain on her lips. So application can effect things too. Candace Corey Makeup & Hair Artist www.candacecorey.com

thats probably cause ur using the same exact thing and not a family of colors that might work for you. its a pain but u need to identify what u like about the look whether or not itll work fo you and tweak it so anything will work.

Airbrushing is common thats why they look that way

Almost all the pictures you see on the media are heavily Photoshopped! Even in motion pictures too! They do it frame by frame..............

Originally Posted by maiho /img/forum/go_quote.gif Don't you just hate it when you see a magazine cover with a model with perfect flawless make up, and then you look inside the cover to see what kind of make up it was used and u try to copy that look, but then the products seem to never work out. No matter what instructions i follow, the make up never turns out as perfect as the girls on magazines cover. Tell me if you guys agree or disagree. Hi,
Three things are going on there. The skill of the makeup artist, the skill of the photographer and photo retouching. No need to worry.

I totally agree with Leza.

The photographer and the graphics artist doing the photoshop play a major role.

I have two friends who are professional makeup artists. One does makeup for shoots such as Sports Illustrated, Vogue and huge events such as NY Fashion week. Whenever he would do my make-up, it just looks soooo perfect! It really feels like an artist working on my face as the canvas, it's unbelievable. Too bad, my friendh moved to Italy. So, the skills of a professional makeup artist plays a huge factor too.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by Leza1121 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi,
Three things are going on there. The skill of the makeup artist, the skill of the photographer and photo retouching. No need to worry.

It annoys me too when I can't get it right, but when you think about how much time it took for them to get ready and then being photoshopped, it's understandable.

Hi everyone! I wanted to share my experience in this issue. I did a little modeling some years ago and for two of the photoshoots you wouldn't believe the amount of foundation I had on my face. On the pictures my skin looked flawless but I wouldn't dare walk out of my house with that amount of foundation on. You also have to take into consideration that graphic designers often exagerate the colors with photoshop so the colors look more vibrant than they actually are and also they photoshop everything, I should now, I'm one haha (Don't worry I don't photoshop my DTB, I play fair). Just check out this links, these are photoshop retouch portfolios of two graphic designers, I'm sure they'll make you all feel better. They sure made me feel great haha :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Glenn Feron - The Art of Retouching

Greg Apodaca's Digital Portfolio

I think the best you can hope for is close. I did some makeup for my daughters friends for the prom, I did them all before, so I bagged each girls colors together, but some came with pictures and showed me what they wanted, so I would copy as close to it as possible, but showed them that what they see and what looks best on them is 2 different things. Them all came out close, but like someone said before, depends on what looks best for you and just modify it.

what an awesome thread. I have bought products because they worked on a model, too

Totally agree. I think they look so good thanks to the changes they do on the computer.

Originally Posted by Reija /img/forum/go_quote.gif I totally agree. I hate that too! I've bought products before based what the model was wearing and my makeup never ends up looking that good. They must do some major touching up on the pictures before they are published in a magazine. yes thats what they do before they publish it in a magazine.

Latest posts

Back