Fortune Cookie Soap Box : Summer Soap Box

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the jelly gets too melty, fridge it. If it's anything like the ones from Lush, it will be fine at room temp in cooler weather.

I tried the sea salt spritz today. This is not a product for me because I like smooth, shiny hair, not beachy texture, but I'm digging the scent despite being a little queasy (sun + the slightest bit of heat + movie with some handheld camera work = not feeling so great). If they have this scent in other things, I might have to pick those other things up.
BUt how do you use it? Like body wash, on a sponge/poof? I've never used/seen jelly soap before, so it is a brand new thing to me. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by AtomicBunny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Omg i cant stop smelling everything!!!! Any advice on how to use the body shot jelly? The texture is completely new to me! I can't wait to try everything! Hubby is curious about the shower steamer. So am I! He says if its cool, he wants me to buy him some. I was kind of hoping for a bathtub item but that's okay! This is a super fun box! I'm definitely gonna stick around!
'Fridge it first so it's really firm. I used the "Mother Pucker" Shower Steamer and the scent in the package reminds me of SUN laundry detergent but in the shower it smells like crushed lemon drops. I stepped on mine while in the shower so it didn't last long. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I received my box today and immediately cancelled any further soap boxes. 

"One in a melon" Fortune cookie- cute, smells like candy, can't imagine actually using it though

Sugar scrub "I scream, you scream"-smells awful to me, bad combinations of fragrances

"Body Shot" Don't be Jelly-melted like everyone, in a cheap container

"Aquaholic" Sea Salt hair spritz-I have much better higher end products like this, I will never use it

"Mother Pucker" Shower Steamer-smells great, wrapper was ratty and torn across the back

"What? It's five o'clock somewhere!" whipped cream-smell pretty good, might not have picked it for myself, but it's ok

"Do you salso or mango?" OCD Hand sanitizer-smells really weird, another bad combination of scents

"Where the Sun don't shine" solid sunscreen stick- the size of a chapstick and only spf 15
I was super disappointed, these are like products for 12 year old girls.  I feel like I just flushed $19.95 down the toilet.

Originally Posted by Mary322 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"One in a melon" Fortune cookie- cute, smells like candy, can't imagine actually using it though

Sugar scrub "I scream, you scream"-smells awful to me, bad combinations of fragrances

"Aquaholic" Sea Salt hair spritz-I have much better higher end products like this, I will never use it

"Mother Pucker" Shower Steamer-smells great, wrapper was ratty and torn across the back

"What? It's five o'clock somewhere!" whipped cream-smell pretty good, might not have picked it for myself, but it's ok

"Do you salso or mango?" OCD Hand sanitizer-smells really weird, another bad combination of scents

"Where the Sun don't shine" solid sunscreen stick- the size of a chapstick and only spf 15
I was super disappointed, these are like products for 12 year old girls.  I feel like I just flushed $19.95 down the toilet.

Aw :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm sorry you dislike it...I am actually sad I can't still get my hands on this box! Have you considered trading, or even selling? Maybe you wouldn't feel like you wasted as much, that way?

Does anyone know if the hair spritz can be used on dry hair? My hair is naturally wavy/loosely curly but I flat iron it. I was thinking it might be a good option for 2nd or 3rd day hair...

Does anyone know if the hair spritz can be used on dry hair? My hair is naturally wavy/loosely curly but I flat iron it. I was thinking it might be a good option for 2nd or 3rd day hair...
I just spritzed mine with water before using the sea salt spray rather than freshly washing it.  It seemed to work exactly as it was supposed to.  I'm not sure I like it for me, but that's a whole separate issue, kind of like how I can recognize that banana pudding is a good option for dessert, but I hate bananas, so I won't have anything to do with banana pudding.  

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Mary322 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Aw :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm sorry you dislike it...I am actually sad I can't still get my hands on this box! Have you considered trading, or even selling? Maybe you wouldn't feel like you wasted as much, that way?

That's actually a good idea (trade or sell). I actually loved my box. I've used the shower steamer already (smells like lemon drops in the shower, in the packaging like SUN laundry detergent, which I like). I just used the hair spritz, smells so yum. I didn't care for the sugar scrub IN the container since it's overpowering and sickening sweet BUT in the shower using it the scent is really nice. My daughter has claimed the fortune cookie soap for herself, lol. Whipped Cream... loved. Have yet to use the sunblock other than on my lips when I thought it was a lip balm! LOL Oops. OCD my middle daughter wants to claim for her own. LOL Once this quarter's products are up I already know what I'm orderings - the shower steamer, hair spritz and more cookie soaps.

The scent from the hair spritz stayed in my hair after I showered and washed my hair!  I'm actually thinking about getting it if they make it in the same scent as the shower steamer.

(And I liked the container that the jelly was sent in because...  Jell-o shots.  That's what they're usually in, whether you make them for a party or buy them in a bar.  Yeah, forty-something over here buying Jell-o shots in dive bars.  Do I know how to do classy evenings or what?)

The scent from the hair spritz stayed in my hair after I showered and washed my hair!  I'm actually thinking about getting it if they make it in the same scent as the shower steamer.

(And I liked the container that the jelly was sent in because...  Jell-o shots.  That's what they're usually in, whether you make them for a party or buy them in a bar.  Yeah, forty-something over here buying Jell-o shots in dive bars.  Do I know how to do classy evenings or what?)
 LOL, I saw that and was like "OOH, IT'S LIKE A JELLO SHOT!" and it's the main reason I am interested in that particular product.

Those of you who have used many of their products, what are your favorite scents/products? I think I'll be ordering some things next week and I'm really curious as to what everyone likes best. 

I can appreciate that some people like the box but I think it is low quality packaging and mediocre products. If I paid $10 I wouldn't be as disappointed, but for $20 i definitely feel underwhelmed. I am really trying to be objective, because I wanted to love this box, but iI really don't like it at all. I have used too many high quality products to say these products are great, let alone above average. Sorry to all that loved it, but I think they are not even nice enough to gift or take the time to trade.

To each their own. LOL That's what makes MUT great because we have a diverse amount of people with a diverse amounts of interests. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> If you don't like it then you don't like it. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Was this your first box? If so I can see how your expectations were not met. When I first encountered Fortune Cookie Soap products (in a swap box) I thought it was terrible packaging as well. I picked an OCD hand sanitizer with glitter in it from the swap box. My daughter loved it so I subscribed to their winter (2012) box. This is my third box with them. Didn't really care for everything in the winter or springs boxes but this one I loved. I think mainly because the scents are fruity and remind me of that package of gum I had as a kid. LOL But I totally get where you're coming from and if you don't like it you don't like it. Can't fault you for having different likes. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Mary322 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can appreciate that some people like the box but I think it is low quality packaging and mediocre products. If I paid $10 I wouldn't be as disappointed, but for $20 i definitely feel underwhelmed. I am really trying to be objective, because I wanted to love this box, but iI really don't like it at all. I have used too many high quality products to say these products are great, let alone above average. Sorry to all that loved it, but I think they are not even nice enough to gift or take the time to trade.
If I remember correctly, you also get a $10 voucher towards your future purchase. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> So you get $10-ish in samples and the rest goes toward your next purchase. I can understand why you feel a lil underwhelmed though. Even with the $10 voucher, the samples aren't the largest, but least you can use them all more than once, generally speaking. That's actually part of the reason I haven't subscribed, among other reasons. 

But anywho, they're a small business, so they don't have the fancy packaging larger companies have and everything's handmade. Just because they don't have the best & fanciest packaging, doesn't mean the product itself is bad. To each their own. You're entitled to your opinion, but have you actually tried out the products? From what you've mentioned, it doesn't seem like you've even attempted to try them out. 

The only thing I personally don't like about FCS as a whole is that almost all their scents are food-related, which kinda sucks since I generally like florals and fresh scents more than food scents. I can't say much else about their actual products, since I've only tried out their "whipped cream" body butters, which I love.

I might see where I am subscription and money wise when that fall box comes around this stuff looks tasty. I looked on their site and could not find the shower steamers just bath bombs.  I'm always looking for shower stuff because there are no bath tubs at my house.  Can some one link to the product page for the shower steamer?

I might see where I am subscription and money wise when that fall box comes around this stuff looks tasty. I looked on their site and could not find the shower steamers just bath bombs.  I'm always looking for shower stuff because there are no bath tubs at my house.  Can some one link to the product page for the shower steamer?
It won't be up on their site until Friday.

Yes, this was my first and last box. I do plan to use the coupon for some of the Fortune Cookie soaps, so at least I will get that back.  I do like how they made the little fortune cookies and they package them in a little take out containers.  I am not crazy about the melon scent, but I am sure I can find something better.  My son's fiance is 21 and she would love the fortune cookie soaps, she love fortune cookies, so I thought it would be a cute idea to throw those in with her birthday gifts in July.  They have many items that look great that I will also consider ordering, it's just I didn't like the box contents at all.  I am not bashing fortune cookie soap, I think they seem like a great company, it's just I don't like some of the packaging and scents combinations they use for their products.  I honestly think most of the stuff they make is geared towards children and pre-teen when I look at the labeling style/names/scents/etc.  Which is okay, but I am neither, I am 47 and my sons are 16 and 21 (and my nieces are all 21 and older).  I guess I mistook the subscription box to be more geared for adults, but I didn't think it was, so that's my fault.  Anyway, I am definitely planning on ordering products from them, it's just that it will probably only be on fortune cookie soap itself and maybe the bath bombs. All in all, I am glad I heard of the company.

I do think this is aimed at adults, but a certain group of adults:  Indie-oriented people who (used to) shop at Bath & Body Works and let their inner twelve-year-old pick out their bath products.  I'm 41, but my inner twelve-year-old is in charge of bath products.  This is pretty much my dream bath products company, but I went nuts at B&BW a couple of years ago (I'm thinking about posting a large chunk of it on Poshmark or eBay to see if I can move some of this stuff OUT OF MY LIFE.  I don't want to trade it, just sell it, so Poshmark and eBay seem to be the way to go), so I can't really justify getting any of their shower gels right now since I have two years' worth of stuff to get through.  I'm in a much different place financially than I was when I bought all of these B&BW shower gels, so I can afford to spend a little extra money on this sort of thing now, but I had a B&BW coupon for a good chunk off at the same time as one of the clearance sales, so I got something like twenty bottles for $30.  It was a good idea when I was looking at an unknown amount of time (at least a year) of not being able to afford $20 a month for goodies, but that was a couple of rounds of surprise raises/bonuses and a paid-off car loan ago!  I need to clear out the stash so I can go back to my 2005 approach to buying bath products:  A few things every few months in seasonally-appropriate (and preferably limited-edition) scents.  

It won't be up on their site until Friday.
Thanks for this information! (And everyone else for describing what they got, too!) I didn't get this box, but I'm going to place an order as soon as they put the shower steamers up for sale. I've always wanted to try something like that, but I've never been able to find any good ones. The soap scents on the website look amazing, and I already found several things I want to get as gifts for friends.

I do think this is aimed at adults, but a certain group of adults:  Indie-oriented people who (used to) shop at Bath & Body Works and let their inner twelve-year-old pick out their bath products.  I'm 41, but my inner twelve-year-old is in charge of bath products.  This is pretty much my dream bath products company, but I went nuts at B&BW a couple of years ago (I'm thinking about posting a large chunk of it on Poshmark or eBay to see if I can move some of this stuff OUT OF MY LIFE.  I don't want to trade it, just sell it, so Poshmark and eBay seem to be the way to go), so I can't really justify getting any of their shower gels right now since I have two years' worth of stuff to get through.  I'm in a much different place financially than I was when I bought all of these B&BW shower gels, so I can afford to spend a little extra money on this sort of thing now, but I had a B&BW coupon for a good chunk off at the same time as one of the clearance sales, so I got something like twenty bottles for $30.  It was a good idea when I was looking at an unknown amount of time (at least a year) of not being able to afford $20 a month for goodies, but that was a couple of rounds of surprise raises/bonuses and a paid-off car loan ago!  I need to clear out the stash so I can go back to my 2005 approach to buying bath products:  A few things every few months in seasonally-appropriate (and preferably limited-edition) scents.  
You could always use the shower gels you hate as hand soap.

I had a bunch of body wash I hated and could not be bothered to sell or throw out and shipping here is too expensive....and I keep on running out of hand soap here, esp when family is over.

So, I ended up using my Yves Rocher and Dove as hand soap and now have much less stuff I hate!

You could maybe also use the body wash to clean makeup brushes and not sure if it is good for hand washing clothes or instead of laundry soap?

I don't really see anything "wrong" with liking teen and kids bath and body products- if you want to that is.

I used to buy some kids shower gel at the drugstore- but they discontinued the scent I liked (rootbeer).

But I still use some baby bath products and even some kids hair gel as it is cheaper for the same item than in the grownup looking bottle.

I'm in my 30's and also do not see too much wrong with liking Hello Kitty either- then again I have strange friends who are into the arts and animation and are in the electronic scene....

Latest posts

Back