Foundation Primers: Necessary or Waste of Money??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, i don't use primers. The only i do use it is when i know I have a longggg day or special events where i need to be fully prepped.

Otherwise, if you find a good foundation, it'll go the whole ten yards without a primer. oh but i agree, i think combination oily skin types probs find primers a lot useful than use dry skinned people!

I used to use a lid primer because eye shadows all seem to run and cream shadows ends up in my crease, i stopped when I discovered hydro powder eye shadows, oh my goodness, that thing will not go ANYWHERE, its really pigmented and you will NEVER get fall outs because it's got a creamy texture. ok going off track here, i guess the best thing is to get a cheapie primer, try it and test it out!

I have always felt I get the same foundation staying power when using a great moisturizer prior to application.  For clients who are getting photographed I always use some type of primer, usually a silicone based one, as it definitely helps achieve that flawless look in photos. Same rule if I will be photographed too!  For me every day though, I won't use a primer anymore since I can break out in an instant from all kinds of things nowadays!  But when I do go for it,  I actually love Loreal's Magic Perfecting Base.  Not too pricey, non-comedogenic, and a beautiful texture.

Since we're on primers, I must go ahead and give a shout-out here to my can't live without product, MAC Paint in Untitled.  Yes, I know it wasn't designed as a primer, more a cream eyeshadow, but my first rule of makeup is to toss out the rules!  No product can come anywhere near this as an eye primer, not even the paint pots.

I just started using Smashbox Photo Finish Primer in Light and I love it.  I used to see foundation or concealer or something sitting in my pores by 1/2 way through the day and would have to rub it in.  Since I started using the Primer, I no longer have that issue. So I believe in primers. I have combo to oily skin, so this is the perfect product for me. You can get this primer off of ebay for far less than retail price. I think I got my 2oz bottle for $25! I believe it retails for higher than $40, so it's a good deal and it works wonderfully. You can always try Monistat Anti Chaffing Gel as a primer if you want a d/s one. I don't think it was more than $7.

I'm totally in love with UDPP and have it in 2 different colors-Sin and Greed. I love them both. They keep my shadows on until I take it off. It doesn't budge.  And UDPP doesn't dry me out what-so-ever. I have TFSI to try yet.  But the ELF mineral eye primer is just as good/dupe to UDPP. I have quite a few other primers and bases to try, but these mentioned, I love thus far and that's the reason why I haven't tried the other items out yet. I love what I've found so far.

Originally Posted by AliciaMLay /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I actually love Loreal's Magic Perfecting Base.  Not too pricey, non-comedogenic, and a beautiful texture.
That shows how people have different reactions to the same products. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I actually hate L'Oreal's Magic Perfecting Base and found it to be too expensive for a small amount of mid-range primer (it's anywhere between $10 to $15 depending on the store compared to Hard Candy for under $8 or NYX about $13) and has a gross texture that feels and looks like soy wax to me. In fact, on my skin I found it to cause my foundation to become cakey and clumpy.  Of hand I don't have the container size but do recall I got far less of it then I did of any of my other drugstore primers.

I'm definitely getting a foundation primer, but though I've never used it (I'm buying it), the ''Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder-Gel'' has A LOT of rave reviews on how good it is as a foundation primer. I know it might sound gross to but chafing gel on your face, but it's really just fine and it's way cheaper than other foundation primers. Plus, you don't even need that much so it's perfect. xD

Originally Posted by Aishu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm definitely getting a foundation primer, but though I've never used it (I'm buying it), the ''Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder-Gel'' has A LOT of rave reviews on how good it is as a foundation primer. I know it might sound gross to but chafing gel on your face, but it's really just fine and it's way cheaper than other foundation primers. Plus, you don't even need that much so it's perfect. xD

lol That's because it's main ingredient is silicone. If you find it weird to use it try Hard Candy's primer (cheaper than Monistat) or NYX or even ELF. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have a primer by Hard Candy that I have used a few times but I honestly dont think it changes my make up at all, but it might just be the brand. So personally I dont think its worth it and probably wont ever buy it, but I got it for christmas so I couldnt refuse it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Just saw your post Zadidoll, lol wasnt trying to bash your suggestion :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Everybody has their own opinions and preferences and it also depends on the persons face and skin itself as well.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

lol That's because it's main ingredient is silicone. If you find it weird to use it try Hard Candy's primer (cheaper than Monistat) or NYX or even ELF. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thanks for these! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> -googles HC's site-

I was going to get the ELF one, but people said it ran out way quick and I need one where I can go to the store to get more if I need to. But, oh, how I love ELF <3

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That shows how people have different reactions to the same products. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I actually hate L'Oreal's Magic Perfecting Base and found it to be too expensive for a small amount of mid-range primer (it's anywhere between $10 to $15 depending on the store compared to Hard Candy for under $8 or NYX about $13) and has a gross texture that feels and looks like soy wax to me. In fact, on my skin I found it to cause my foundation to become cakey and clumpy.  Of hand I don't have the container size but do recall I got far less of it then I did of any of my other drugstore primers.

That is hilarious!  I never thought in a million years I would like it, but I was in a pinch and grabbed it.  Surprised myself!

Originally Posted by AliciaMLay /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is hilarious!  I never thought in a million years I would like it, but I was in a pinch and grabbed it.  Surprised myself!
I wish it worked for me but yuk... the texture and how it caked/clumped my makeup... yuk! This is why guru suggestions on Youtube are pretty pointless because what works for one person doesn't means it works for someone else. Just like the other member here who didn't like Hard Candy's primer, I found it works well with my skin but someone else may find the opposite. Too bad there isn't any magical primers out there that works for everyone. lol

I know elf's products come in small amounts, so buy more than one at a time! I buy 4 tinted moisturizers at a time and I only go through one a month. But I have the back ups if I was to need more or just don't want to order as often. With elf, it's so inexpensive that you can buy numerous of the same item b/c they are so small and you will usually come out ahead. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted by Aishu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for these! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> -googles HC's site-

I was going to get the ELF one, but people said it ran out way quick and I need one where I can go to the store to get more if I need to. But, oh, how I love ELF <3

I never used to wear foundation primers until I realized that I wanted something to help make my foundation appear less obvious (I hate when you can see foundation on top of pores and scars! It's so obvious to me!)  So I tried the one from Revlon, which is about $10--it did the job, but I didn't have the desired result from it, so I didn't really use it often. It wasn't until I heard about the color correcting primers that I got really interested. I have a lot of redness to my skin and it always, always shows through my foundation (despite it being a full coverage, high end brand) and so I decided recently to try one. I bought a low end one from Boots, and love it!

As for my clients, I have always tried to use some sort of primer underneath for longer lasting wear, but again, had a similar issue with finding one that works well. I do recommend the Boots brand as it is fairly inexpensive and works nicely. I now use it on my clients.

If you don't feel you need a primer, then you can skip it. I never used to use it, but only have since the aforementioned reasons. =)

Good luck!

I never used face primer until a couple weeks ago.  I never really had problem with staying power, but the primer really helps my mineral foundation stick and keeps me less shiny.  I haven't had a chance to test it on a really hot day yet.  If you want to test it out I suggest Palladio primer it's kind of a smashbox dupe but only costs 11 bucks (or 3.5-5 bucks less if you buy at ulta and use a coupon they have $5.00 off 10 right now).  As for eyeshadow primer I use homemade and it works just fine for me.   No creasing and the eyeshadows really pop.  It's simply 1 part body butter, 1 part concealer and 1 part foundation.

OKAY, a new update on my stance with primers.  I will now completely forget cream and liquid formulas.  My husband checked my Sephora wish list for our anniversary (he knows me well) and got me Too Faced Primed and Poreless powder the other day.  I will never use anything else ever again!  The powder is like fine fairy dust (no shimmer though of course,) beautiful and light.  It absorbs all excess oil throughout the day and completely smooths out my entire face.  Also just amazing as a finishing powder too.  The ingredients are quite minimal, and you don't have to use a lot.  I am very fair in tone so the translucent whiteness fits my skin well.  Anyone darker may have to take care in using a smalll amount.  Just a new option in this vast world of primers!  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

About the moisturizer trick, I have extremely oily skin. I would NOT recommend this for people like me. It works okay at first, but literally it doesn't last two hours before my eyeshadow is gone into a crease-y mess. Urban Decay Primer Potion is slightly expensive, I will admit that. But it makes my eyeshadow stay all day long, which is amazing for my eyelids. The tube I use, I have had for almost a year.

As far as face primer, I really don't think its necessary to get the top name-brand ones. I have never used primers, but I do have a RImmel one that works pretty well if im wearing mineral makeup.

also, before when I didn't use a primer, just lotion, i noticed that about 5-10 min after i put on my mineral foundation my skin always felt really really dry and awkward.  Now when I use a primer my face feels fine

I have to say, I'm a big fan of foundation primers. I find that they do an effective job in smoothing out my face, providing a clear canvas to apply makeup. I just can't apply foundation straight on my face with nothing over my skin to protect it. Primers to me serve more as protecting your skin so you don't have to apply the foundation straight onto it and run the risk of breaking out. 

I love finding cheap drugstore items that are just as good as the expensive stuff! I used to work for Clinique and I love their eye primer and still use it but would love to try this! But definitely primer is a must! I have such oily skin and my makeup comes off without it!

For me, it definitely makes a difference! My skin is on the dry side, and all the dry parts on my face are accentuated without primer - not a pretty look! I don't slather it all over my face though; I only use it on my trouble spots. Just a little bit will go a long way for me, so I don't find that it's a waste of money at all. 

Back