Foundations -An Extensive Guide & what do YOU use??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, but you can use Visine to extend the durability of your shadows when used as a liner. Good ta know!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by laura127 OOps!! Aren't i glad i didnt tell people that i use that on my lips, cheekbones, eyelashes etc!!

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish Hi Anita! Do lash conditioners make a difference? I have a plethora of products but never bought an actual lash conditioner. Is one worth buying? TIA! Hello KittySkyfish, I find that with the lash conditioner my mascara goes on a little more smoothly and when I remove my eye make-up my lashes don't seem to be as brittle. I think it was worth the purchase for me. I like the Avon brand lash conditioner. Let me know if you decide to try one and what you think about it. By the way, I have 2 kitties, too. Salem and Casper. I would have 4 but 2 died. Azriel and Sassy. May they rest in peace.

Thanks! I don't think I'll need a lash conditioner because I've never had a problem with my lashes being thin or brittle. Either it's my good genes or Lucky jeans (pun).
biggrin.gif
I think my lashes receive a lot of conditioning when I do my night time treatments because they're touched with olive oil.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost Azriel and Sassy. Your love for your pets speaks well of you. It shows how much you can open your heart and love and care for others. My sister-in-law just adopted an elderly golden retriever. It seems his prior family adopted him as a young pup from the Humane Society then sent him back 11 years later for reasons unknown. I can't imagine having a pet that long and not loving him enough to at least find him a good home if we weren't able to care for him anymore. The poor dog must have been so hurt and confused by his dumping.
icon_cry.gif

Originally Posted by coolcat1022 Hello KittySkyfish, I find that with the lash conditioner my mascara goes on a little more smoothly and when I remove my eye make-up my lashes don't seem to be as brittle. I think it was worth the purchase for me. I like the Avon brand lash conditioner. Let me know if you decide to try one and what you think about it.
By the way, I have 2 kitties, too. Salem and Casper. I would have 4 but 2 died. Azriel and Sassy. May they rest in peace.

Wow great thanks a lot! I've heard that Mac's studio fix is the most incredible thing ever! How would you guys review it? I have oily skin so I wonder if this is the thing for me. Thanks!

Originally Posted by laura127 Hi girls,
Found this article on an irish site and thought some of ye MAKE-UP LOVERS might like to read it!

The job of any foundation is to give an appearance of flawless skin - not to dramatically alter its colour in order to give a tanned appearance, guaranteed only to make you look like you've been tangoed. However with a multitude of products on the market promoted by airbrushed ex-soap stars and scientific make-up mumbo jumbo, it's hard to know where to start.

From the high priced to the high street, make-up artist Paula Fay has trawled through the cream of the cream foundations and got stuck into the sticks on a mission to rid the country of the orange lined jaw syndrome.

It goes without saying – always test a foundation before buying it. This doesn't mean you just rub some into you hand, hold it up to the glaring store lights and think it'll be ok. A little more time spent on the selection process will save you money in the long run.

Firstly, take into account your skin type. This will affect what type of foundation you should use. If you have oily skin look for an oil free foundation such as Bobbi Brown Essentials Oil Free foundation or Estée Lauder's Double Wear foundation. Combination skins should go for products, such as Adaptive by Lancome, which help to balance out oily and dry patches. Creamy liquid foundations or stick foundations tend to suit normal to dry skins. Giorgio Armani's Ultra Light Weight liquid foundation provides a subtle finish whilst covering imperfections. A liquid foundation will create a sheer to medium coverage whereas a stick foundation will offer more coverage to create a polished look.Mac's popular Studio Tech will conceal most glaring flaws.

To find a right colour, be brave and go shopping without makeup (actually surprisingly refreshing) so there is a clear base on which to try the foundations – make up artist Paula Fay recommends blending a small amount onto your cheek and jaw. It is always a good idea to get a professional guidance choosing a formula and shade. However, the cosmetics stands in department stores can be extremely intimidating, even the most seasoned shoppers can find themselves talked into a later regretted sale. A handy line to remember that I myself use – just tell them that you are going to see how it wears on your skin before buying (this line can also be used for perfumes and creams). It also makes you sound as though you know what you're talking about! When in the daylight, if it's the right colour, you'll barely be able to see it as it should blend right into your skin colour.

Now, although you have your perfect type and shade, the foundation will be worthless unless it is applied correctly. Here are a few quick steps from Paula Fay for instant success:
1. If using liquid foundations, shake the bottle vigorously before applying
2. Either use a disposable white triangular synthetic sponge or your fingertips

3. Start with less foundation then you need as it is easier to add more than remove it

4. First apply foundation to the centre of the face and blend towards the edges, assuring even coverage

5. Blend gently and carefully especially around the nose, mouth and jaw.

6. Do not apply foundation on eyelids or under your eyes – you should apply concealer instead to these sensitive areas

Some of the latest foundations to come out on the market, for example Maybelline's Wonder Finish and Cashmere Perfect by L'Oreal, set to a powder finish, eliminating the need for added powder. Benefit's Play Sticks are a handy 3-in-1 concealer, foundation and powder – an essential hand bag space saver.

If not using these, set foundation with a powder puff and translucent powder, pressing firmly yet gently onto your foundation. Brush off any excess with a powder brush. Paula Fay recommends a sheer loose powder, check out the excellent Bobbi Brown range. Generally avoid white coloured powders, as these will drain the colour from your face. Instead, use a yellow toned powder that will help to warm the complexion.

Advertising campaigns tend to convince us, the consumer, that there is one ultimate product that once discovered, will transform our lives. The one true life time foundation is an enigma. Make-up has developed into a multi-million Dollar/Euro research business industry with new technologies emerging constantly. This time last year Maybelline's Wonder Finish wasn't on the shelves, yet it's a great product. If you've found a foundation that suits you still try new ones out. Your skin will change with age and also foundation finishes, from matte to dewy, vary with fashion.

By: Jessica Majekodunmi and Paula Fay, www.fashion.ie

I think it's a YMMV thing (Your Mileage May Vary). Some women I know love Studio Fix and have oily skin, others I know find it clogs their pores. I fall into the latter group. I'm prone to clogged pores and it didn't help me out at all. I thought Origins Silk Screen was very nice and my skin tolerated it much more. allisong from our website loves Jane Iredale loose minerals, though you may love Jane Iredale Pressed Mineral Foundation. This gives a matte finish with SPF and very good coverage. What's nice about Jane Iredale is that her mineral foundations don't contain extra ingredients that can aggrevate acne.

Originally Posted by freetshirt Wow great thanks a lot! I've heard that Mac's studio fix is the most incredible thing ever! How would you guys review it? I have oily skin so I wonder if this is the thing for me. Thanks!

Back